Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion about climate change and music festivals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by UncleBuckDabs View Post
    In 2015, 32 million people traveled avg of 900 miles to music festivals, wasting at least 480 million gallons of fuel. That's over 17 billion kWh of electricity just to get to the festivals. That's enough electricity for 17 million homes for a month. This does not take account the amount of energy needed to power the festivals.

    This is just a discussion. I know Shell is the sponsor for Jazz Fest. The Green New Deal made me think about this. If that was implemented our beloved fest would not be what it is today.
    Two cents: everyone should make their own decisions regarding how they can reduce, or not reduce, their own carbon footprint, and the only way to turn things around will be for government and corporate action. As an environmental consultant working in this space in my experience most of the larger corporations get it and are making changes for the better. So remember to vote early and vote often.

    Comment


    • #17
      People will always want to travel. We need to come up with a more eco-friendly way to do it.....

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by UncleBuckDabs View Post
        wasting at least 480 million gallons of fuel.
        does said fuel actually go "wasting"???

        in recent years it certainly has aided in the rechargin' of many a soul,.. thus providin' the much needed energy to navigate and survive the daze of the multi year ragin' drumpster fire...

        did enjoy a hearty chuckle upon visitin' telluride for a 2nd time for their glorious blues and brews... couldn't have loved that place more the year prior so it was decided that a return run was a necessity... anywho,.. if memory serves correctly, it was 2006 when they loudly and proudly declared the festival to be the very 1st "carbon neutral" music festival... chuckled with great gusto when recallin' just how our arrival was made possible... flew direct from tampa to albuqrque,.. drove up to santa fe for a few nites, then on to taos... later crossed thru the carson national forest up to durango... hung there for a nite, then up to silverton, ouray, and beyond to the "ride" (will tell u, that is one jaw droppin', beautifurous ride, but carbon neutral it most certainly isn't)...

        came back down the other side after much merriment was had... back tracked sum to take in mesa verde (an absolutely splendid day with fast movin' coolio clouds droppin' lightenin' bolts here and there)... later enjoyed some thai food in cortez, caught a nite's rest and then crisscrossed the four corners area, with the highlight bein' hours of wonderment within utah's valley of the gods...

        my gawd what a great trip... carbon was most definitely utilized, but wasted, no, can't go there...

        that all said,.. have often closed the eyes and lived that trip over and over,.. always with great joy... will have that for years to come...

        have tended to shy away from the use of boatin' far more often over the past decade plus with a mind's eye on lessenin' fuel discharged into the gulf... many years worth of carribean dive trips have evolved into return trips to dive bars in new orleans... far less energy used,.. not to mention no desire to edumuhcate the dummies who ignore all known protocol as they get all hands on with delicate coral colonies... have sadly witnessed the odd boat anchor knock over a reef head or two... ain't nowhere near as heart wrenchin' watchin' talented musicians tear it up... do miss the wonders of that which dances underwater, but ain't much willin' to add to the load dumped on that world...

        Comment


        • #19
          Oh, for the love of god.
          This isnít some dirty truth hidden by festival promoters. Travel creates waste. If you want to reduce travel related waste why not attack the most travel intensive industries or entities? Business travel? Family vacations to Disney? There are many big wasters to choose from.
          If we want to get real about ways that music fests can and should be working to reduce environmental impact the conversation begins and ends with the enormous amount of non-compostable trash produced at the fairgrounds each day.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
            Oh, for the love of god.

            If we want to get real about ways that music fests can and should be working to reduce environmental impact the conversation begins and ends with the enormous amount of non-compostable trash produced at the fairgrounds each day.
            I am always shocked when we go to FQF that there are not separate receptacles for cans/bottles/plastic.
            Every year, we have joked that if we could load up all of those empty cans and plastic water bottles and get them back to California for recycling, we'd actually make a profit on the trip. It's insane to just see them as 'garbage'.

            Does Jazzfest do a better job of recycling?

            Baby steps....

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

              Does Jazzfest do a better job of recycling?
              Just wait until you see the trash stewn $hit show that is jazz fest my friend. Recycling at JF is so limited it may as well not exist at all. There are styrofoam cups and packaging used throughout. The WWOZ tent uses styrofoam too generating an extreme amount of trash. JazzFest is at least a decade behind other festivals in regard to managing its environmental impact. Fest actually took a step backwards last year when the water fountains on the ground floor of the Grandstand began to no longer operate. At least you'd be able to fill your water bottle at those- now you've got to find a water fountain upstairs or use the weird refilling station outside. It is not good.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by PaulC View Post


                does said fuel actually go "wasting"???

                in recent years it certainly has aided in the rechargin' of many a soul,.. thus providin' the much needed energy to navigate and survive the daze of the multi year ragin' drumpster fire...

                did enjoy a hearty chuckle upon visitin' telluride for a 2nd time for their glorious blues and brews... couldn't have loved that place more the year prior so it was decided that a return run was a necessity... anywho,.. if memory serves correctly, it was 2006 when they loudly and proudly declared the festival to be the very 1st "carbon neutral" music festival... chuckled with great gusto when recallin' just how our arrival was made possible... flew direct from tampa to albuqrque,.. drove up to santa fe for a few nites, then on to taos... later crossed thru the carson national forest up to durango... hung there for a nite, then up to silverton, ouray, and beyond to the "ride" (will tell u, that is one jaw droppin', beautifurous ride, but carbon neutral it most certainly isn't)...

                came back down the other side after much merriment was had... back tracked sum to take in mesa verde (an absolutely splendid day with fast movin' coolio clouds droppin' lightenin' bolts here and there)... later enjoyed some thai food in cortez, caught a nite's rest and then crisscrossed the four corners area, with the highlight bein' hours of wonderment within utah's valley of the gods...

                my gawd what a great trip... carbon was most definitely utilized, but wasted, no, can't go there...

                that all said,.. have often closed the eyes and lived that trip over and over,.. always with great joy... will have that for years to come...

                have tended to shy away from the use of boatin' far more often over the past decade plus with a mind's eye on lessenin' fuel discharged into the gulf... many years worth of carribean dive trips have evolved into return trips to dive bars in new orleans... far less energy used,.. not to mention no desire to edumuhcate the dummies who ignore all known protocol as they get all hands on with delicate coral colonies... have sadly witnessed the odd boat anchor knock over a reef head or two... ain't nowhere near as heart wrenchin' watchin' talented musicians tear it up... do miss the wonders of that which dances underwater, but ain't much willin' to add to the load dumped on that world...
                very nice...can't wait till I can back out west and to Telluride...it is never a waste...we all just have to do our part the best we can...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

                  I am always shocked when we go to FQF that there are not separate receptacles for cans/bottles/plastic.
                  Every year, we have joked that if we could load up all of those empty cans and plastic water bottles and get them back to California for recycling, we'd actually make a profit on the trip. It's insane to just see them as 'garbage'.

                  Does Jazzfest do a better job of recycling?

                  Baby steps....
                  my small town just did away with recycling...claimed it was not cost effective...we had the two separate trashcans...but the weird thing was they never
                  did glass...only plastic, cans and paper...wtf??

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Here's an interesting article about the state of recycling:

                    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/c...ic-papers.html

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by innertube View Post

                      my small town just did away with recycling...claimed it was not cost effective...we had the two separate trashcans...but the weird thing was they never
                      did glass...only plastic, cans and paper...wtf??
                      Same here in NOLA: plastic, cans and paper. No glass. I find this sometimes influences my shopping, as I will choose a product packed in plastic over something in glass (or canned beer vs. bottled beer).

                      The hardest pill to swallow is the waste and trash with Mardi Gras. And how most of the items for MG are imported from overseas.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Regardless of the current issues with recycling I believe that the fest would make an impact by choosing to replace some of the materials used by the food vendors with either less wasteful or compostable products. I get that these materials are more expensive-but I don't think that is an excuse. Other festivals and large events have figured it out and so too can Jazz Fest. I think at the very least an effort to encourage recycling of those plastic water bottles and beer cans would result it a lesser environmental impact that everyone could feel good about.
                        I for one love when I attend an event that sells the reusable kleen kanteen stainless steel pints. They usually cost like $10-12 and can be refilled at a discount at participating vendors. They fit perfectly in a can koozie and make a great souvenir. I think that would be a great offering at the draft beer tents or at the frozen cocktail vendors. The strawberry lemonade tent is halfway there- they sell a souvenir cup but it can not be refilled. I get that it doesn't work well with the busy vendors but still, it would work for some.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                          Regardless of the current issues with recycling I believe that the fest would make an impact by choosing to replace some of the materials used by the food vendors with either less wasteful or compostable products. I get that these materials are more expensive-but I don't think that is an excuse. Other festivals and large events have figured it out and so too can Jazz Fest. I think at the very least an effort to encourage recycling of those plastic water bottles and beer cans would result it a lesser environmental impact that everyone could feel good about.
                          I for one love when I attend an event that sells the reusable kleen kanteen stainless steel pints. They usually cost like $10-12 and can be refilled at a discount at participating vendors. They fit perfectly in a can koozie and make a great souvenir. I think that would be a great offering at the draft beer tents or at the frozen cocktail vendors. The strawberry lemonade tent is halfway there- they sell a souvenir cup but it can not be refilled. I get that it doesn't work well with the busy vendors but still, it would work for some.
                          Yes to that, there are a lot of simple things that could be enforced for the vendors to be more environmental friendly. More beer on tap instead of cans, for instance.

                          About the China thing, people shipping garbage across continents is madness. Recycling should be always done locally, otherwise you are creating other problems.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            out of curiosity i googled up why glass isn't recycled anymore. the two main obstacles seem to be that it breaks, and glass shards get in the mix, and only same-colored glass can be recycled together, so if it's all busted up, it's a problem. additionally, for curbside pickup situations especially, it is undoubtedly HEAVY and makes it less cost effective and arguably uses more emissions to haul it than environmental benefits created from recycling it. so it's not just a random decision

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                              out of curiosity i googled up why glass isn't recycled anymore. the two main obstacles seem to be that it breaks, and glass shards get in the mix, and only same-colored glass can be recycled together, so if it's all busted up, it's a problem. additionally, for curbside pickup situations especially, it is undoubtedly HEAVY and makes it less cost effective and arguably uses more emissions to haul it than environmental benefits created from recycling it. so it's not just a random decision
                              Interesting, thanks for the info. I still collect it and drive it to a drop-off collection center about once a month or so - always while doing other errands, so its no additional fuel

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Also recycle glass at the dump when they accept it. I believe it has to be shipped out of town to be processed, which is a joke, but whatever.

                                For the person who brought up Mardi Gras, beads are an ecological and ethical nightmare. Whatever you do, don't watch "Mardi Gras Made in China" if these things bother you.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X