Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are sold out shows at HOB?

A pain I'm the ass?

Thinking about going to the Steel Pulse show tonight, but its sold out and I'm not sure I want to be packed into a crowd like sardines.

Go a little early and get upstairs in the area in Front of the bar...center...rail and ledge to set your drink on...

Comment

3 words; don't do it!

Comment

My two cents is similar to jjazznj's take: HOB at the best of times is an unpleasant venue with goon bouncers and a vibe that is so not New Orleans, so adding a packed house takes it from unpleasant to unbearable.

Comment

4 words. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Nuts to butts.

Comment

So, last night was pretty terrible. I've never left a show early because of it being to crowded, but I bounced after 2 songs. There is no fucking way that many people being in there was within compliance of the fire codes.

VIP had TONS of space. Doubt I'll ever go back to HOB without getting VIP.

Comment

HOB sucks if it's overcrowded. Having said that, I've enjoyed numerous shows there when the crowd was manageable. I've never had a problem with the security or any of the employees.

Comment

Originally posted by tuggernuts View Post
                  So, last night was pretty terrible. I've never left a show early because of it being to crowded, but I bounced after 2 songs. There is no fucking way that many people being in there was within compliance of the fire codes.

VIP had TONS of space. Doubt I'll ever go back to HOB without getting VIP.
                  I warned ya! I've been to soldout shows there (Jeff Beck, Bonnie Raitt) when it was so crowded people were starting fights just because others were so close to each other. Some of the bigger acts bring in their own soundboard taking up space on the floor but they still seem to sell the same amount of tix. That place is the worst! Back in the 90s they did have big shows almost every night. Not anymore. Now they have cover bands, burlesque etc.. Way more other venues now.

Comment

Overcrowding is the main reason nobody goes there anymore.

Cue the “laugh track”

thanks Yogi

Comment

Some of my best concert memories are from the front right, or extreme right which is usually not full, or the rail in front of the balcony bar if you arrive early. At fest, we often have tickets at the upstairs Parish and go back and forth. Sold out shows are OK because we're tall, but are not for the shorter or late or claustrophobic folks. Best shows were consecutive nights of Tom Jones in early July >10 years ago. HOB really changed NOLA music (and maybe hurt Tips) when it arrived on an abandoned block of Decatur years ago. Gatemouth used to have his own booth. The bluesmen solo during dinner are sometimes very good. Can you name all the bluesmen on the ceiling? I couldn't name two. Giftshop for T-shirts for the grandkids.

Comment

Went to a sold out show there once. Way too crowded and not a chance in the world of any place at all to sit the entire night. The staff made us get up off the stairs we were sitting on for a brief minute. We bounced between the main HOB and the parish, but it wasn't any better. Later in the evening the crowd thinned out considerably and we did the same.

Comment

I tried to see TEdeschi Trucks there a few fests ago. We had to leave due to claustrophobia. Since then, I've seen shows there that were less crowded and much more enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                          X