Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anybody kept track of Walking Mileage for a day at JF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has Anybody kept track of Walking Mileage for a day at JF?

    Just curious. Get to the Fest at least by noon, stay to the end. Don't camp out at one stage. Tend to zig zag from Blues to Fais Do Do, etc, etc throughout the day. Has anybody with a fitbit or smart watch kept track of steps or mileage?

  • #2
    I've checked the health app on my iPhone after a few Fest days, but I have never used a Fitbit or smart watch. I tend to walk around more than most and I use the track frequently so I may not be the best gauge, but I *think* I recall that it was regularly around four to six miles just by the end of Fest for the day, before factoring in all the walking around at night.

    Comment


    • #3
      The cp_wino always asks how far we've walked and I check the health app on my iPhone to answer him, but I know it's not very accurate. I have the *mapmyrun* app which uses GPS and plots on a map exactly where I walked (since I don't run) and it is consistently farther than what the iPhone health app shows. The mapmyrun app speaks to you, though, so it can be pretty annoying.

      Comment


      • #4
        yep, I just use the app on my phone. which isn't completely accurate, but on a good day i'll get 11/12 miles. one day in 2016, we spend the entire day walking around, and had a very late night, hit 19 freaking miles.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, just checked my Health App on my Iphone. Last year on Jazzfest Days I ranged from 20,000 to 31,000 steps a day, which equates to 8.3 to 12.6 miles per day.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lit View Post
            I've checked the health app on my iPhone after a few Fest days, but I have never used a Fitbit or smart watch. I tend to walk around more than most and I use the track frequently so I may not be the best gauge, but I *think* I recall that it was regularly around four to six miles just by the end of Fest for the day, before factoring in all the walking around at night.
            That's kind of my sense of it. I'm long past the days when I can do both day and night. But I'm reminded of a JF day in the 90s, before the shoe technology revolution during my Birkenstock phase. All day at Fest. Then standing and dancing all night at HoB for a Neville Bros show. To make the four/ five block walk back to hotel, my pal was holding me up on one side, as I held on to buildings on the other, my feet hurt so bad. (And, no, before I hear the barbs, it was just my sore feet. I was sober by then, no inebriation involved.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Also, if you carry your phone on you the iPhone health app counts dancing as steps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kyfester View Post
                Just curious. Get to the Fest at least by noon, stay to the end. Don't camp out at one stage. Tend to zig zag from Blues to Fais Do Do, etc, etc throughout the day. Has anybody with a fitbit or smart watch kept track of steps or mileage?
                Depends how far we camp out from the Praline Stuffed Beignets.

                Last year ranged from 16k-22k steps per day.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mitchell101 View Post

                  Depends how far we camp out from the Praline Stuffed Beignets.

                  Last year ranged from 16k-22k steps per day.
                  Unfortunately, probably just short of the mileage needed to totally work off those killer treats.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can't wait to find out, thanks for all the tips on the Health app, never opened it up until reading this thread!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A proviso on that iphone health app - I joined a second-line parade on Tuesday night that meandered through town with a brass band soundtrack. I tracked the route I walked in Google Earth and came up with 2.2 miles. The health app has me down for 11,343 steps for a total of 4.4 miles. Your buckdancing mileage may vary.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        For 6 days at Fest last year, my app ranges anywhere between 7.5 and 10.5 miles. I canít dance, so all steps. Unless bobbing my head counts, too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by duende View Post
                          A proviso on that iphone health app - I joined a second-line parade on Tuesday night that meandered through town with a brass band soundtrack. I tracked the route I walked in Google Earth and came up with 2.2 miles. The health app has me down for 11,343 steps for a total of 4.4 miles. Your buckdancing mileage may vary.
                          I've noticed this too when I compare the recorded distance on a treadmill or bike with that on my apple watch.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know I've gone over 40K in a day (wearing havaianas no less), but I also usually run (not wearing havaianas) in the morning before I head out there. I use a tracker that has GPS so I feel pretty confident that it's pretty accurate.

                            I want to say I'm usually over 10 miles of walking out the fest, with a few over 13 or 14.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X