Top Music Venues, ranked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGregor View Post

yep surviving that initial wave of people that storm the Leaf at 11pm is key. When it clears a bit, it's the best.
    Oh, Man! What a great feeling. You are standing there, shoulder to shoulder, a little cramped, maybe a little uncomfortable, not the best view of the stage, them suddenly you realize the crowd has thinned and there is a ton of room for everyone and all the people that stayed are fucking grooving.

Man I love the Maple Leaf!

Comment

That feeling is great at any club, but YYR - it is more special at the Maple Leaf, Tips, Vaiughn's and the Saturn

Comment

Gasa Gasa and Poor Boys, mainly because the acts they book.

People lauding Checkpoint Charlie’s is weird. The bands aren’t that good they book and like most Igor joints never felt remotely special.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
          Gasa Gasa and Poor Boys, mainly because the acts they book.

People lauding Checkpoint Charlie’s is weird. The bands aren’t that good they book and like most Igor joints never felt remotely special.
          In general I agree with you, but there are a few shows I've seen there that were special. For one, they have booked Woodenhead each of the last 3(?) years. I also saw an amazing Rough 7 gig there one year with Meschiya Lake and Erika Lewis on backup vocals - the gig ended with a full on rock and roll puddle with a completely naked Ratty Scurvics hanging from the rafters, some abused keyboards and a lot of semi-coordinated wailing - it was one of the rawest shows I have ever seen. On a less bizarre note, also saw Jamie Lynn Vessels there last year and was impressed. One thing you can say about Checkpoint Charlie's is the book New Orleans acts during Jazzfest - a lot of clubs don't.

Comment

Working...
          X