Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walk From Frenchman To Cafe Istanbul - Safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

I'd love for you to go along. But it will be on Friday or Saturday of second weekend as I'm not going to the FG those days. Whatchu doin those days?
    Definitely taking one of those days off from the fairgrounds, not sure which one yet. Let's talk at the Patry!

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
      In the past ,I've had to argue with cabbies to take me on a short ride.Is it hard to get an Uber for a few blocks?
      Not even when they accept the ride - they don't see the destination until they pick you up. I feel bad if I'm taking only a short ride and they have a long drive to come to pick me up.

With cabs, on the other hand, many of the ones cruising downtown prefer short rides. With the $3.50 charge when the meter starts, they can earn $5-6 for a couple of minutes drive time. I've had the opposite experience, drivers who don't want to take me out to Gentilly or Mid City. The taxis who don't want the short ride are generally those who have been waiting in line for a fare, either at the airport or a hotel, and with the short ride, the little they make doesn't make up for losing their place in line.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
        At pre 10 pm there will be grannies, tourists, families out. Why not you.

Walk Frenchmen to Burgundy, the John will be open and hoppin. Go right one block to Elysian Fields, then left two blocks to St. Claude. Should be busy with Mags, Gene's, Robert's, Starbucks, Phoenix, Walgreen's all busy. First block on St. Claude as you head to Café Istanbul you will pass Siberia and Always Lounge. Next block, Hi Ho Lounge, Cajun's, Arrabella and on...………..until you reach the Healing Center/Café Istanbul. No sweat !!
        Thank you- this is EXACTLY what I need! I'm not generally too worried- with a good route I'd always rather walk a distance like this. And I've never been to Johns, so that could be a perfect pit-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by sfnola View Post

Thank you- this is EXACTLY what I need! I'm not generally too worried- with a good route I'd always rather walk a distance like this. And I've never been to Johns, so that could be a perfect pit-stop.
          Heh. It's not John's, it's "The John", with decor to match.

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
            I walk it all the time. Usually for food at the Artisan Café. Elysian Fields and St. Claude are busy, bustling comercial corridors ( Gene's Po Boys, Starbucks, Robert's, Siberia, Always Lounge, ……), not some dark, dank alleyways. If your worried, take uber.
            I agree. Plenty of people out and about then and not a very long walk. Some decent food joints along the way. May as well stop at Siberia for some Perogies and maybe a Ruben! I'm also a fan of Arabella Casa Di Pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by sfnola View Post

I recommend taking a look inside Mag's on Elysian, maybe getting a drink for the walk. They have the same cool chairs and velvet curtains from the 70s. I'm surprised it hasn't become more of a music venue.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

I recommend taking a look inside Mag's on Elysian, maybe getting a drink for the walk. They have the same cool chairs and velvet curtains from the 70s. I'm surprised it hasn't become more of a music venue.
                Thanks! Not sure this walk is going to happen, but always happy for suggestions. I had a firm "No Dead" rule for JF this year, but I spent yesterday listening to a bunch of Joan Osborne with Phil & Friends on Youtube, and now I may have to hit one of those Axial Tilt shows. I've long been a fan of hers, and was reminded that she is THE vocalist of her generation.

Comment

Either way.....this walk is sounding more fun with each new post !! You may never make the show.

Comment

Safer then walking in the quarter!!

Comment

It’s fine walking but just Uber and get there already.

Comment

I'm thinking of hitting Rock N Bowl on 2nd Saturday, then Maple Leaf for the James Brown birthday show. It looks like it's only about a mile. Is that a safe walk? Also, checking google maps, it looks like Oak St by Maple Leaf might be a jumpin' spot. Any safety concerns? I'm an old guy and can't run as fast as I used to!

Comment

Originally posted by BettsSS View Post
                          I'm thinking of hitting Rock N Bowl on 2nd Saturday, then Maple Leaf for the James Brown birthday show. It looks like it's only about a mile. Is that a safe walk? Also, checking google maps, it looks like Oak St by Maple Leaf might be a jumpin' spot. Any safety concerns? I'm an old guy and can't run as fast as I used to!
                          Google puts the walk at a mile and a half.

The James Brown show is on Friday, not Saturday. It's listed at 10 pm, and won't go too much past midnight or 12:30 since there's a separate show listed at 1 am. If you stayed for the whole RnB show, you'd miss most or all of the Leaf show.

But all that said, if you're talking about doing that walk in the 10 pm -ish time frame, I think it's probably not too bad. Carrollton can be dicey in the other direction, say, from Earhart to Tulane/Loyola (ironically, between the new and old RnB locations), but as you head towards Oak, it gets better the farther you go.

Comment

Working...
                          X