Thursday April 25th weather issues **Delayed opening **

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday April 25th weather issues **Delayed opening **

100% chance sever thunderstorms ALL DAY Thursday. This is our first time to the fest and I have seen that it does shut down sometimes for inclement weather. Any word on what is expected for this Thursday as far as any potential cancellation or early shut down? Trying to discern extending travel plans to be able to get in a day on Saturday if Thursday ends up a bust.

It'll be wet, with thunderstorms likely. The local forecasters have different predictions on strength: I'm seen "small chance of strong, nothing severe", to "potential of severe".

Fest is a r@in or shine event, with only a handful of full-day cancellations over the 50 years.

Two things can shut fest down: flooding and lightning.

It's been pretty dry, so the ground is in good shape. Even if the precip is on the high end of what is predicted - 2" or so - that won't flood the Fairgrounds to the point that fest can't operate.

Lightning is harder to predict, especially the timing a couple of days out. Most likely, fest will go on. If there's a bad line coming in late in the day, an early shutdown is possible - though this usually means 6:30 or 6:00; the 4 pm shutdown a couple of years ago was unprecedented.

Two tips - follow fest on twitter and/or listen to OZ Thursday morning; if there is a cancellation or delayed opening, that'll be the first place to find out. And keep your ticket after you enter; that one time they did shut at 4, they let you reuse the ticket the next day, or get a 50% refund.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

How did WWOZ deal with early shut down issue a couple of years ago for Brass Pass holders? Does anyone know if they offered any refund?

Comment

I've never seen a refund for any cancellation of early shutdown

Comment

So itíll be Dopsie in the rain on Thursday! One of my favorite memories was Dopsie closing out Jazzfest 2 yrs. ago. At 2:10 into this video I shot, you can tell that the rain and slop bothered no one!!

...I have a feeling he may hang around and join the Doobies after his set this year.

https://youtu.be/azrGXBUqDcM
          Last edited by Thraak; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I echo Swag's sentiments in that it's still too far away to tell exactly where the storms will hit. The following is plucked right from the National Weather Service (warning, it's a bit "weather nerdy"):

"A gentle warming trend through Wednesday. The gentle is used here because cloud cover will increase as well keeping any strong heating at bay. The current cold front over Texas this morning will move to near the Dallas area by Wednesday. This will be a very slow progression before a strong short wave rounds the base of the long wave deep trough with a splitting speed max exiting the base of the long wave trough Thursday. This will help cause a continuation of strong thunderstorms with heavy rainfall over northeast Texas into northwestern Louisiana. The lobe to the south will cause a quick explosion of strong to severe thunderstorms near the Houston area ejecting eastward. There will be no shortage of severe wx variables where this area of thunderstorms progresses. The severity portion of this complex will be where the strongest mid and upper dynamics are located Thursday. This could be over south shore locations or north shore locations. To get better confidence on best locations for severe wx, we will need to get a little closer to the event. SPC has basically set the entire area in a slight risk of severe for Thursday. All modes of severe wx would accompany this risk. Although thunderstorms with this system will have some very heavy rainfall, the cells will be transitory so some nuisance flooding of low lying areas may occur but widespread flooding issues are not expected. Once the cold front moves through early Friday morning, some clouds could linger with a sprinkle or two through noon Friday, but overall fairly nice conditions will retake the area through the weekend."

Comment

I think folks need to remember that Jazz Fest is a rain or shine event. Don't buy the ticket if this doesn't work for you.
              Last edited by fichadelphia; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I think folks need to remember that Jazz Fest is a rain or shine event. Don't buy the ticket if this doesn't work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwysox View Post
                  100% chance sever thunderstorms ALL DAY Thursday.
                  Incorrect. There is no such thing as a 100% chance of any predicted weather in New Orleans, particularly at Jazz Fest. You are panicking over a forecast, which can change every minute.

Originally posted by Kwysox View Post
                  This is our first time to the fest
                  And there you go.

Welcome.

Everyone here has seen days when the weather forecast said thunderstorms were an absolute certainty, when you looked at the ominous dark clouds swirling overhead and you knew it was going to be ugly...but then nothing happened. In fact, we had one of these days just last year.

And we've also seen days where the prediction was glorious and beautiful...and then it got ugly out of nowhere. You need to prepare every day for both blazing sunshine and epic monsoons, and then you have to be willing to make the most of whatever happens at an outdoor event in an unpredictable weather pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesthinker 72 View Post
                    I've never seen a refund for any cancellation of early shutdown
                    When a day is canceled in its entirety, fest just tells people to use their ticket on another day. (I don't think any cancellation has ever come on a Sunday). Of course, that doesn't help folks who already have tickets for the other days. When this happens, the resale price plummets. And nothing is given to multi-day pass holders, whether brass, gala, or VIP.

Most early shutdowns come after 6 pm, and again, no refunds.

So the one exception to all this was 2016, when they closed the fest at 4 pm on 2nd Saturday, before any of the headliners had played. They initially announced that any ticket that was used on Saturday could be re-used on Sunday.
                    https://swag.livejournal.com/304408.html
                    And a few days later, they said tickets used on Saturday and not reused on Sunday would be eligible for a 50% refund.
                    https://swag.livejournal.com/305678.html

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Fest in the rain isn't necessarily that bad. If you plan for it, it can be quite pleasant as the crowds may be thinner and you may catch some epic sets either out on the field or in the tents where I've seen crazy storm sets happen in both settings.
                      Here's how I prepare for Fest in the rain. Everyone has their thing, but this is what works or me. Maybe my tips will be helpful for you:
                      -Those rubber shrimp boots aren't going to work for me- they hurt my feet and always get hot and squishy. I prefer my trust old Bean Boots- they are both my winter and hiking boots and they are the most comfortable for me on a rainy fest day.
                      -I find those plastic ponchos to be annoying and hot so I pack a regular rain coat. I stopped bringing my hardcore water repelling riding coat because it is too warm and now I find that I like my rain resistant wind breaker jacket best. It in't going to keep me dry in a downpour but it will keep me cool and I'm unlikely to be outside during a downpour if I can help it.
                      -I might pack the tiniest lightest umbrella that I own but I'll definitely pack a baseball cap since the brim is usually sufficient in keeping rain out of my eyes.
                      -The mud and rain will splash UP your legs so a package of disposable wipes is essential for me.
                      -Last, I try to pick clothes that dry comfortably on rain days. Even if I avoid the rainfall I'm probably going to get extra sweaty from wearing a jacket, so planning for quick dry clothes is helpful.

Comment

I bring a bag to put my wallet and cell phone in. That's it.

Comment

If the weather stinks on Thursday and is perfect on Saturday, you will be kicking yourself if you don't stay over Saturday. My plan is to spend Thursday in the Blues tent and then be out and about on the sunny days.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                            I bring a bag to put my wallet and cell phone in. That's it.
                            Yeah. Right. Sure. Wink. Wink. And that other bag with your pharmaceuticals?

Comment

I'm looking forward to a great day at Fest, regardlesss of Mama Nature. For those attending Threadhead Thursday at City Park, the event has moved indoors at the Pavilion of Two Sisters (same location - just inside the Pavilion instead of outdoors on the lawn).

Comment

Working...
                              X