Johnny Rivers review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Rivers review

Can somebody give me some feedback on Johnny Rivers' set? I stayed at Acura to watch a very engaged Van Morrison (which was outstanding!)
    and missed Mr. Rivers. The choices were ridiculous Sunday afternoon, given my tastes. Many thanks in advance!!

Yeah, I wasn't leaving Van.

Great interview with Quint on WWL this morning. FOMS are his creation. He says the only way to accommodate 100,000 people at the Fairgrounds is if every stage is packed at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      Yeah, I wasn't leaving Van.

Great interview with Quint on WWL this morning. FOMS are his creation. He says the only way to accommodate 100,000 people at the Fairgrounds is if every stage is packed at the same time.
      Thanks Marignygregg. I read an earlier post you made and couldn't agree more. I figured out how much I was missing by running around to other stages, trying to not miss anything. The realization finally connected sitting there Sunday afternoon, and when I saw how tuned in The Man seemed to be I figured I would stay put. But dangit, I wanted to see Johnny Rivers (and Al Green!).

Comment

Mr. Ramistella is my number two highlight for the year so far, right after Spencer Bohrenís incredle solo set at the Rhythmathingy tent

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Stone View Post
          Mr. Ramistella is my number two highlight for the year so far, right after Spencer Bohrenís incredle solo set at the Rhythmathingy tent
          The Spencer Bohren set was our highlight, too. A joyful celebration of life, humanity, and music

Comment

I left Al Green when he followed "For the Good Times" with Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" wtf??? I then went to Johnny Rivers which was a great run through of the oldies by the guy who laid them down!! Certainly better than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by hercules9273 View Post

The Spencer Bohren set was our highlight, too. A joyful celebration of life, humanity, and music
              Bohren's set at Gentilly to open the day, with Aurora Nealand sitting in, was also dang sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

Bohren's set at Gentilly to open the day, with Aurora Nealand sitting in, was also dang sweet.
                Spencer's set was the highlight of my fest. He embodies everything that is great about a musician ,a father, and a man. His set reflected that. I am crushed by his cancer battle. Had a great chat with Spencer one morning in the hood. His spirit is ethereal. He is so proud of Andre and his many talents.

Comment

Since nobody else seems to have seen Johnny Rivers (and the crowds there were pretty sparse), I'll chime in and say he was great. Voice is still there, guitar work was spot-on, band was stripped down and just right, and the set was loaded with hits: The beautiful "Summer Rain" was a peak midway through, then came all the biggies: Rockin' Pneumonia, Mountrain of Love, Memphis, Poor Side of Town and finally Secret Agent Man. Couple newish songs in the mix too. It was the kind of set you hope for from a John Fogerty-- a great roadhouse band showing just how it's done. Impossible to stay seated through it.

Entirely agreed on the greatness of Spencer Bohren's set too.

Comment

Originally posted by babyzyde View Post
                    I left Al Green when he followed "For the Good Times" with Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" wtf??? I then went to Johnny Rivers which was a great run through of the oldies by the guy who laid them down!! Certainly better than I expected.
                    Al Green's versions of "For The Good Times" and "Pretty Woman" were both from his classic 1972 record, I'm Still In Love With You. I thought it was cool that he did those. Most of his albums from the original Hi Records era include a heavy dose of remakes. Some better than others, but for the most part I dig them.

Johnny Rivers and his band were fantastic! What a treat it was to get to see him live. I hope Jazz Fest has him back sometime soon.

Comment

The only 'must see' for me Sunday was Johnny but I missed him. Started at Al Green; hit the Acura bleachers for a little of Van, then started the trek to the Blues Tent. 'Take Me to the River' had me bear left a little towards Congo. Then I heard the first notes of 'Love and Happiness' and couldn't walk away from that. Sound by the Ancestors wasn't bad at all.

Rushed to the tent hoping for 'Secret Agent Man' but I wasn't just a little late--the tent was empty.

Comment

Working...
                      X