Bayou Boogaloo is charging $10 this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayou Boogaloo is charging $10 this year

Good luck with that, Jared. They seem determined to ruin this festival or make the neighborhood completely hate it, whichever is first.

Well, I've been interested in attending this and had lightly penciled it in for next year BUT.....well, who knows how long it will be around? Also, I don't want to contribute toward what is marketed as a neighborhood festival that shuts-out many in the neighborhood. (and no, I don't count JF in that number. It doesn't purport to be a neighborhood festival. and we can argue about the cost etc another time...) I realize that the entry cost is modest but it is most definitely going to keep lots of casual attendees from showing up. And that's a shame.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. I know Jared and he's a nice guy. But every year there seems to be some sort of last minute "thing" (admission, fences) which I find baffling. Why does this come out just a couple days before the Fest (I know, I read the article, which really leaves me more confused). Its a wonderful little Fest, and I have no problem with paying an admission for it, but doing so at the last minute sounds like really poor planning and/or management.

That said, it IS in my neighborhood and a few blocks from my house, so I was looking forward to a come-and-go experience. Particularly on Sunday when other events keep me busy during the day - I was planning to come just for the last hour at the end, but won't pay an admission fee for that.

Comment

$10 for Cowboy Mouth isnít modest.

It went from a nice little neighborhood festival to kind of an overcrowded monster. His appetite is too big for the space. I avoid it now. Way too many Chads for me now.

Oh and Fish and Wildlife May enforce life jackets too. Chads ainít gonna like that.

Comment

Well, that $10 also gets you Morning 40 Federation, Erica Falls, Shinyribs, Little Freddie King and more, which is still reasonable if your going to make a day of it. Problem is, sometimes I can only make an hour or two and probably won't attend those days. Bummer.

Comment

$20 for the whole weekend is cheap, and is no problem to me whatsoever, there is lots of good music available to see and hear.

Bands go to get paid etc.

I had donated in advance last year and it was a bummer when the wind and rain hammered the vendors, but it was good to hear the local ThreadHeads came out and helped

I have enjoyed this in previous years and certainly plan to this year

The lateness of the announcement is disconcerting however. And should have been avoided if possible.

Comment

I volunteered at the festival last year and saw first hand how hard this mostly volunteer staff works to get it done. They pay musicians, electricians a small core staff - from what I could tell, all local folks. The city raised their rent 500% this year - I don't think the picnic run by Zulu the next week on the same space is charged anything (I could be wrong about that). They are also responsible for cleaning up all the boats and trash that people who enjoy the festival from the other side of the bayou leave behind. Trust me, no one is getting rich off this festival. I'd be shocked if they break even this year.

Comment

This is still a great little festival - I can't see how $10 is too much to pay and if it is, you can always volunteer like at other festivals. It is a shame the City is putting them in this last minute situation

Comment

Thereís gonna be loads of people in Idealís parking lot, like when they put the fence up. That was a hilarious disaster.

Between that and the life jackets, Kinda wish I was gonna be in town now.

Iím also not buying his reasoning for dropping it this late on the charge. They need to move it to City Park if he wants to fence it and charge admission.
                  Last edited by Quint; 05-15-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                    It went from a nice little neighborhood festival to kind of an overcrowded monster.
                    Based on the comments here, it seems as though the $10 cover is going to significantly reduce overcrowding.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Based on the comments here, it seems as though the $10 cover is going to significantly reduce overcrowding.
                      Krewe of Chad (high five!) will still be out in force on the bayou, tetanus be damned. Then thereís the Ideal tailgate too. Iíd pay $10 to watch. Should be fun. Feel free to park at my place.

Comment

The last time I went was probably 7 or 8 years ago and it was too crowded for me.

Comment

New Orleans is a poor city. We are used to our free neighborhood festivals that anybody can attend and in turn it adds to the vibe when all our included. $10 dollars isn't a whole lot to most of us, but to a family of 4 or 5 living on limited means it is, whereas before they could wander in for free. If this trend continues ( talking to you FQ Fest ) expect these events to get a lot whiter with less working class New Orleanean's. Our loss.

Comment

$10 is not a big deal. I pay that in cover or tip jar for every artist I see in New Orleans. But the late notice is a bit disconcerting. Seems like the whole thing is getting disorganized.

Comment

Guess I won't be going as this was always a go to see someone specifically festival for me, with it being free a big draw to see Anders or Tab do a set. But given my finances, I am not gonna pay $20 to see acts I can see otherwise elsewhere. But I do wish Jared well with it...this city can be difficult to deal with, no doubt. Seems like a fair arrangement coulda been worked out.
                              Last edited by chopitulas; 05-15-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X