Rock and Roll HoF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and Roll HoF

Since yesterday was cold and rainy, we finally got a chance to watch the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction show that wed dvr-ed.

It of course, led to the discussion of which worthy artists have been excluded (followed by an extraordinary amount of rapid-fire Googling to verify who was in and who wasnt).

No Warren Zevon, no Jan and Dean, no Mott the Hoople, among others.

Surprisingly, Jann Wenner apparently inducted himself, which I thought was odd (not that he isnt worthy, but its like throwing yourself a birthday party; its just weird).

And there was a discussion about who else is in that isnt necessarily HoF worthy.

Who do you think SHOULD be in that isnt, and whos in (in your opinion) that makes you go, WTH?.

Captain Beefheart, NRBQ, Warren Zevon, Procol Harem, Link Wray, Joe Cocker, The Bonzo Dog Band, Rockpile, Motorhead

Comment

Little Feat

Comment

The Meters is where my list starts, but man, if the Smiths get in before T Rex Ill be pissed.

Comment

Los Lobos, Warren Zevon, and Little Feat top my list.

Comment

I refuse to visit it until Link Wray and the Meters are in.

Comment

Agree on Joe Cocker.

Comment

Yes, The Meters and Feat and hundreds of others as well. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bit of a crock in my unhumble opinion. It should be in an obscure trailer park in Memphis. But I'm sure I'll visit and probably enjoy someday. We built this city on rock and roll all day and party every night!

Comment

Please, Madonna and Janet Jackson got in before all of those great rock acts mentioned above. Not sure how anyone can take that hall seriously or even really care who does or doesn't get in. It is just an extension of Rolling Stone magazine which has seen better days.

Comment

If Miles Davis is in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, why isn't Kiss in the jazz one?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                      Yes, The Meters and Feat and hundreds of others as well. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bit of a crock in my unhumble opinion. It should be in an obscure trailer park in Memphis. But I'm sure I'll visit and probably enjoy someday. We built this city on rock and roll all day and party every night!
                      Agree with Kemp. The facility is nice. If seeing such as the shirt Hendrix wore at Woodstock (a made up example) works for you, good on you. When I visited, what fascinated me were the music listening stations, because, well, it's really about the music, right? And a few instances of sheets of paper showing a scribbles that turned into a song, with the x outs and write overs. Other than that, I'm glad I went, but it was nothing like standing in Sun Studio.

As for the selections, I think the whole thing is a shuck. The absence of Little Feat, inarguably one of the tightest, most clever, most rockin', most innovative ensembles ever, undermines the whole premise. From a personal standpoint, I've always found the idea of naming names for a R&R HoF incongruous. I don't love and appreciate Bo Diddley any more as one of the founding fathers for being in, nor NRBQ or the The Meters or Little Feat any less.

Cleveland is a legit spot, though not as much so as Memphis, or even New Orleans would be. But the decision was a financial one.

Comment

Speaking of Hendrix: when someone tells me they're going to Cleveland and the HoF I tell them to make sure they see the plaster caster exhibit. "Ask a docent" if you can't find it...

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
                          Speaking of Hendrix: when someone tells me they're going to Cleveland and the HoF I tell them to make sure they see the plaster caster exhibit. "Ask a docent" if you can't find it...
                          Too funny, thought that was a NYC exhibit - but if it's at the HOF, ask my salty friend John Lamiell, one of the Champs' outstanding tenor sax players (Tequila) and a docent at the HOF. He also still plays occasionally at the joint.

Comment

All of these and more should be ahead of the well named Pretenders: Bad Company,Billy Idol,Foreigner,Loggins and Messina,Jethro Tull, Styx, Doobie Brothers,Joe Cocker, Three Dog Night,Emerson/Lake/Palmer,Spinners, Little Feat, War, Boston, Guess Who, Paul Rogers,Kool and the Gang, Pat Benatar, Ted Nugent, Bernie Taupin, Sting, Sade, Phil Collins, Mitch Ryder,Supertramp, Dick Dale, Eurhythmics, Weird Al, Todd Rundgren, Iron Maiden, Chubby Checker, Warren Zevon, Tommy James, Grand Funk Railroad, Jimmy Buffet, Rock n Roll Trio,Tom Jones, Robert Plant, Alan Parsons, The Association, Stylistics, Don Henley, Ohio Players, Lionel Richie, Teddy Pendergrass, Jack Scott, Larry Williams, Link Wray and Los Lobos.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

Too funny, thought that was a NYC exhibit - but if it's at the HOF, ask my salty friend John Lamiell, one of the Champs' outstanding tenor sax players (Tequila) and a docent at the HOF. He also still plays occasionally at the joint.
                              It's not at the HoF. I only tell this to potential HoF visitors that wouldn't know what a plaster caster is. I am a bad person.

Comment

Working...
                              X