Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leon Redbone RIP

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...69-1203229012/

"A post on Redbone’s website confirming his death contained enough deadpan humor and whimsical fiction that it was almost certainly prepared in advance by the singer himself. “It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th, 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127,” it read. “He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He’s interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, ‘Oh behave yourselves. Thank you…. and good evening everybody.'”

Oh, his was our favorite Christmas album when my kids were little. So much so, my daughter was surprised when others didn't know the songs! May he rest in peace and frivolity.

Comment

The duet with Dr. John on "Frosty the Snowman" is my all-time favorite rendition of that song. A one-of-a-kind artist, happy trails Leon.

Comment

I've only seen two people who seemed like time-travelers from the 30's-40's who got stuck in our present - Leon and R. Crumb. With the Cheap Suit Serenaders it seemed a little more like artifice, whereas I don't think Leon ever broke character. I'm floored to read about his Armenian Cyprus background. It certainly justified a re-invention of ones self in a new land.

Comment

I loved that guy! Did he ever play JF? PERFECT fit, IMHO....

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
            The duet with Dr. John on "Frosty the Snowman" is my all-time favorite rendition of that song. A one-of-a-kind artist, happy trails Leon.
            Together again.

Last edited by swag; 06-06-2019, 09:07 PM.
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
            X