My list of JazzFest goodbyes is growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My list of JazzFest goodbyes is growing

Dr. John has hit the hardest, but here is the list of artist I have loved and have seen at Fest who no longer are with us, just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many, many more.

Bois Sec Ardoin
    Buckwheat Zydeco
    Bobby Charles
    Ray Charles
    Boozoo Chavis
    Charles Chavis
    Albert Collins
    Dr. John
    Champion Jack Dupree
    Snooks Eaglin
    Canray Fontenot
    Ralph Fontenot
    Clarence Fountain
    Aretha Franklin
    Levon Helms
    Beau Jacques
    Sharon Jones
    Ernie K-Doe
    BB King
    Earl King
    Charles Neville
    George Scott
    Pops Staples
    Allen Toussaint
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Katie Webster
    Junior Wells
    Marva Wright

Four of the artists in the above list were in this 1988 performance, the first show I ever saw in New Orleans. https://youtu.be/m9S-4ab14sk
    This 30-year-old clip seems like it was just yesterday. We were all so young. https://youtu.be/97PsPFxY9Ws

You forgot Lou Gehrig

Comment

SRV on the list dates you, that you've been festing since at least 1990.

After thirty years, it's no surprise that so many have passed on. Especially considering that Fest often reveres the elders, and that we as fest-goers when given a choice often opt to see them instead of the younger acts on other stages.

Rather than "I can't believe how many great fest performers have left us", I prefer to think of it as "look at how many of the great ones who have passed, that I was able to see at this one festival".
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I saw, and now miss, most of that list, plus Henry Butler and Eddie Bo from the piano player ranks, Coco Robicheax, D.L. Menard, the Hackberry Ramblers, most of the Blind Boys of Alabama, and a quintessential NO character, Unc Lionel Batiste of Treme BB. The list will only grow; one can only hope the various musician development programs pan out.

Comment

Fats? Gatemouth?

Comment

Tom Petty, Charles Neville, Johnny Ray Allen ( Subdudes ).

Gris Gris ( Mels ), Ibjamn ( Jenn ), Moss Man, Wing......

Comment

Sona, who referred to Wing as her dance partner. Also, a couple of Chicago friends' ashes were scattered at the FGs; some of mine will join them one day.

Comment

Fesstgeek, I have instructed my daughter to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                  Also, a couple of Chicago friends' ashes were scattered at the FGs; some of mine will join them one day.
                  "I can't quite exactly put my finger on it, but for some reason the Crawfish Monica tastes a little 'Off' this year..."
                  Last edited by MormonMatthew; 06-08-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

After thirty years, it's no surprise that so many have passed on. Especially considering that Fest often reveres the elders, and that we as fest-goers when given a choice often opt to see them instead of the younger acts on other stages.

Rather than "I can't believe how many great fest performers have left us", I prefer to think of it as "look at how many of the great ones who have passed, that I was able to see at this one festival".
                    I agree. The length of the list is not surprising given that it covers 30 years.

Comment

I might start at JF ash scattering side business. If your family and friends won’t be able to take you to your final resting place, we’ll make sure we get you to The Blues Tent in time for Little Freddie King for the low cost of....
                      (only half joking)
                      there will be additional cost for specific stages or sets.

Comment

For me, add Professor Longhair, James Booker, Miles Davis, Johnny Adams, Danny Barker, Fats Domino, Lightnin' Hopkins, Raymond A. Miles, Gatemouth Brown and plenty more I can't immediately think of. I'm sure Dave Bartholomew and Phil Phillips will soon join them. It's nature's way. But, seeing these lists confirms to me again how damn lucky I/ we are to know, experience and cherish JF.

Comment

Agree with Swag, here. This is the reason I usually opt for the legends at Fest even though some of them are past their prime and age may impede their performances. Catch 'em while you can, Festers.

Comment

'Zactly

Comment

Lets not forget about Gregg Allman.
                              The one I will always miss the most is Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Comment

Working...
                              X