Would You Pay $35 To See Rod Stewart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Pay $35 To See Rod Stewart?

I have to admit that I have never been a fan of Rod Stewart, or his original music, since I was a kid back in the early 198o's, and all of his "Hits" are like nails on a chalkboard to me, but about 10 years ago, I somehow discovered (apparently many years after the fact) that ol' Rod had remade the Isley Brothers classic "This Old Heart Of Mine" (with Ronald Isley) as well as a cover of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train", which have against all odds both become two stone-cold favorites of mine, songs I have now listened to hundreds of times over the past several years.

It looks like Rod's live shows are now a 50/50 mix of his original crap (which is putting it mildly, at least as far as my personal tastes go, although I am not looking for a debate or to hurt any of his fans' feelings, and I am fully aware that many, many people in this Wicked Ol' World consider my favorite musicians crappy) next to a wide assortment of Soul, Motown, and R & B chesnuts from artists like Etta James, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, etc., all which I would probably really enjoy.

Tickets are just $35 (which admittedly here is NOT cheap, by the average Polish person's standards) which seems more than reasonable to me, and there is very little other music of note passing thru Krakow as of late, so I am kind of grasping at straws for something fun to do, even if it is not my idea of a dream concert.

Anyone seen Rod live lately?

I have heard he usually has a strong backing band, but actually know next to nothing about any specifics.

(The fact that I am even toying with the idea of going to a Rod Stewart show is a little hard for me to wrap my own head around, but he does seem to have a real affinity for the classics of the 50's & 60's, so that in itself is something I can respect.)
    Last edited by MormonMatthew; 06-10-2019, 10:26 AM.

Go for it. He is 74 and you just never know. If you see him, please post a review.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
      Go for it. He is 74 and you just never know. If you see him, please post a review.
      agreed - he's not getting younger and from what i hear its a good show.

Comment

No. Itís not even the cost. Simply Iíd rather do something else than watch that schmaltz.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
          No. Itís not even the cost. Simply Iíd rather do something else than watch that schmaltz.
          Donít You Think Iím Sexy?

Comment

Hell yeah

Comment

Yeah, I'd do it. I'd pretend its the 80s again and I'm in my 20s.

Comment

Definitely, and regarding his old stuff I consider his album Every Picture Tells A Story to be one of the top all-time rock/pop records.

Comment

seems like a reasonable price to me

Comment

Not me...
                    But why are you asking us? If you like it, go!

Comment

Hard pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                        I have to admit that I have never been a fan of Rod Stewart, or his original music, since I was a kid back in the early 198o's, and all of his "Hits" are like nails on a chalkboard to me, but about 10 years ago, I somehow discovered (apparently many years after the fact) that ol' Rod had remade the Isley Brothers classic "This Old Heart Of Mine" (with Ronald Isley) as well as a cover of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train", which have against all odds both become two stone-cold favorites of mine, songs I have now listened to hundreds of times over the past several years.

It looks like Rod's live shows are now a 50/50 mix of his original crap (which is putting it mildly, at least as far as my personal tastes go, although I am not looking for a debate or to hurt any of his fans' feelings, and I am fully aware that many, many people in this Wicked Ol' World consider my favorite musicians crappy) next to a wide assortment of Soul, Motown, and R & B chesnuts from artists like Etta James, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, etc., all which I would probably really enjoy.

Tickets are just $35 (which admittedly here is NOT cheap, by the average Polish person's standards) which seems more than reasonable to me, and there is very little other music of note passing thru Krakow as of late, so I am kind of grasping at straws for something fun to do, even if it is not my idea of a dream concert.

Anyone seen Rod live lately?

I have heard he usually has a strong backing band, but actually know next to nothing about any specifics.

(The fact that I am even toying with the idea of going to a Rod Stewart show is a little hard for me to wrap my own head around, but he does seem to have a real affinity for the classics of the 50's & 60's, so that in itself is something I can respect.)
                        Yes. I attended Sir Rod's Jazz Fest show a few years ago, and enjoyed most of what I saw, making sure that I left before he asked his inevitable musical question. He had a top notch band and a bevy of bonny lasses in short kilt-like skirts who sang backup, danced and even played traditional instruments. Overhearing me say that it was a very Vegas performance, a nearby woman said she had just seen him in Vegas and that he did this exact show there. It was still fun though so I would go for thirty-five dollars, but that is about all I would spend. Long ago there was a Rod Stewart who sang the blues in the groundbreaking Jeff Beck group before joining one of the best rock and roll bands ever. Faces were a raucous, rough and tumble group very capable of giving the live seventies Stones a run for their money. Ron Wood, Ian McLagan, Kenny Jones and one of the most under appreciated songwriters of his time, Ronnie Lane (if you think there's something important in rock and roll that you missed and you need to know about, it's probably Lane) pumped out a simultaneously loose and tight sound. Stewart's solo alums Gasoline Alley, Every Picture Tells a Story, Never a Dull Moment and Smiler include most of his Faces bandmates on various cuts and reflect how good he was in this period. When he abandoned England and Faces for his Atlantic Crossing album (which I think includes the Isley song), things kept getting worse. Rod has a great New Orleans song "Dixie Toot" from his golden days that he, of course, never plays anymore. I listen to it to pump myself up before NOLA visits when I'm jonesing badly for The Big Easy. So go and please give us a report on how it was.

Comment

Your married now. Ask the wife and do what she tells you.

Comment

I don't know about today (and didn't see the Jazz Fest show.) But I will concur The Faces gave the Stones a run for their money. I went to a couple of the Stones shows at Winterland in 1972 on the Exile tour. Great to see them in that relatively small venue. I saw The Faces at what is now called Oracle Arena in Oakland a month or so later and have always said The Faces were better.

Comment

Yeah, I mean if the $35 includes time transportation to the 70s to see the Faces, undoubtedly go.

Comment

Working...
                              X