X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil Buck Sinegal

The sad news just won't stop.

https://www.wwoz.org/blog/534781

We are sad to report that guitarist and bandleader Paul Lil Buck Sinegal, "Master of the Stratocaster," has passed at the age of 75. For decades, he was a major player in Louisiana R&B, Blues, and Zydeco.

He may be best known for playing with Clifton Chenier and Buckwheat Zydeco. Eric Clapton once called him "the best blues guitarist alive." His career spanned more than five decades, with over 300 recordings, including with with Henry Gray, Rockin’ Dopsie, and other blues artists. In 1987, he had a Grammy-winning effort on Paul Simon’s 1987 album “Graceland.”

Lil Buck was inducted into the Louisiana Blues Hall of Fame in 1999, and worked hard to pass on his knowledge to the next generation. Acadiana musicians regularly stopped at his house for guitar lessons and jam sessions, including in recent years.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

We're not going to have any Louisiana musicians left if June carries on this pace.

Lil Buck, rip.

Comment

Oh my. Glad I saw him this year but these are just too many too quickly.

Comment

RIP L'il Buck

Comment

John Broussard, life long friend of Sinegal, said the guitarist was simple genuine and humble.

"He loved music and life," Broussard said. "He was a self-taught musician who would do anything for anyone. He never bragged about the people he played with."

---------------------------------

a true master who was an absolute treat and a sincere pleasure to witness,.. each and every time...

this continuin' stretch of heartbreakin' loss is all too damn much...

rip paul lil' buck sinegal,.. you were a treasure...

Comment

RIP

Comment

No words.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have seen him many times, as far back as 1989 with Rockin' Dopsie at the Maple Leaf and with Buckwheat as well as his own bands. Also at the Ponderosa Stomps. RIP, he will be missed for sure.

Comment

Oh man, again? RIP.

Comment

Had the great pleasure of seeing him a couple of times at pre-JF backyard crawfish boils a couple of times. RIP Buck:

Comment

Lil Buck was the uncle of zydeco star Curley Taylor. here's what Curley had to say:

"Never been hit this hard for a long time..
                      I took this picture about 4 yrs ago in California,my band played and my uncle "Lil Buck" Senegal flew in to do the fest with his band..it was great to meet him on the road doin the thing he loved...PlayingThe Blues!!!.RIP...
                      Besides my dad,he played such a big role in exposing me and my talents to the music scene, He could have had anyone in such a legendary band to play drums,but he chose me to be a part of this great band.I had a chance to play in a band with the Legendary "Lil Bob" from his "Lollipops" band and the Legendary "John Hart" for yrs,for that I'm forever greatful..He always loved my "Country Boy" song..when he come to the show I had to play it..afterwards he say, thats bad nephew yall did that Soul!!!
                      My uncle played guitar for the legendary Clifton Chenier and laid down the stamp on most of Cliff records..I remember being a young boy when Clifton would come pick him up from the house on St Charles in Lafayette..I didn't know exactly what was goin on,but I knew they played music and they would travel all over the world,and figured they must know what they're doing ..lol..
                      I know he had a band "Lil Buck and The Top Cats"..which produced a killer hit song "Monkey In A Sack."..the Legendary Buckwheat Zydeco played keyboards in his band before Buck went on to start his own band..I remember Buckwheat coming by the house on St. Charles hanging out..
                      I remember him playing with the Legendary "Good Rockin Dopsie..I remember him playing with the Dopsies for yrs,I know he reorded on a few of their cds..I remember seeing and meeting Dopsie and his family also on St Charles..
                      He was also the coolest everyone knew him..he had jokes for days about all the experiences...
                      Lil Buck stretched over to the musicians in my generation, everyone loved him cause he just so well rounded and knew how to make people laugh..he played a couple of shows with my band,he'd always tell me don't call him again to play,cause riding in my van was the scariest thing in the world..lol. He will be missed...His immediate family I know is lost for words at this time..sending them tons of prayers..Today all the musicians,family and friends met again on St Charles!!!..til we meet again "Uncle Buck."!!!
                      Last edited by revjimk; 1 week ago.

Comment

Comment

Man, what terrible news. He was all that. RIP, Lil Buck.

It's been said before but bears repeating, see the great ones while you still can.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluesdoctor View Post
                            I was lucky enough to have seen him many times, as far back as 1989 with Rockin' Dopsie at the Maple Leaf and with Buckwheat as well as his own bands. Also at the Ponderosa Stomps. RIP, he will be missed for sure.
                            I probably saw that too (definitely Dopsie Sr.), but didn't know who Buck was at the time

Comment

It sure has been a rough week. Not the final time I saw him, but we really enjoyed his show at the Blue Moon Saloon in Lafayette a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X