San Francisco Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco Tips

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what to see. Mainly music, food and drinks. What else is there? Maybe some touristy stuff too. Thanks.

Alcatraz is a good sight to see.

Comment

You will most likely get a lot of good suggestions from our fair crowd. I used to go there a bit. I'll let the others voice their spots. I have never cared for the Fishermans Wharf area. Every city has a traditional tourist "hot spot". I've a good friend who manages apartment houses in the marina district and that area has some attractiveness. After I moved on from the city itself I began enjoying Sausalito for food but can no longer recommend the area. My niece got a place in Tiburon which she used to loan to me. If you are so inclined there is a place right at the commuter ferry dock in Tiburon with outdoor patio seating for meals and drinks. Food is ok but the view of the city is very very nice. Time it for the evening and it is for me a "go to" place. Never took the ferry across the bay so I'm totally ignorant on prices, schedules, time ect. I just happen to enjoy the view and being out of doors.
      Good post and I am looking forward to what others have to suggest. Another trip to the city by the bay is always in the back of my mind.
      Addendum....be prepared for the quote unquote "homeless". I refer to them by another name. "Homeless" suggests bad luck and encourages sympathy. These individuals have just chosen another lifestyle.

Comment

If you can wait, go Oct.4-6 for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass.
        This fest is on my bucket list. Maybe 2020.

​​​​​​http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/splash/

Comment

Here is their 2018 lineup.

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2018/schedule/

Comment

For music , check the schedule for SF Jazz, they have 2 rooms there, 1 big and 1 small, great venue , with a small restaurant/ bar, and the boom boom room, just across the street ( Geary) from the Fillmore, ( check their schedules, too) 2 music venues over the Golden Gate Bridge, terrapin crossroads ( Phil Lesh's place) and the Sweetwater, in Mill Valley.
            Food - my favorite SF restaurant is Lolinda, on Mission Street. They have a more casual place upstairs, with views of the city. There's a Farmers Market at the Ferry Building, right on the bay, Tuesday and Thursday 10-2 and Saturday 8-2. I live in Marin, best restaurant Picco, is in Larkspur. The spot in Tiburon is Sam's., Nopa, and Nopalitos ( casual Mexican) are another 2 of my faves, in SF. Heard a lot of great things about Brenda's soul food, but they don't take reservations, on Polk Street.
            North Beach has a bunch of Cafes, and its right next to Chinatown, flat walking area, not much of that in SF. Beach Blanket Babylon, worlds longest running musical revue, at Club Fugazi, in North Beach, is fun.
            i like to drive through the Presidio, out to Lands End, and then drive down along the Ocean. There's a restaurant, the Beach Chalet , Across the street, from Ocean Beach. I haven't been, but there's not much out that way, and it's always busy.
            The De Young Museum and the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park and Legion of Honor Museum in the Presidio, are nice.
            there are also a lot of great foodtrucks, in the city. Check out off the grid.com to see where and when, these are happening.
            i agree if you can, come in October, best weather, and go to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, free music festival , in Golden Gate Park.

have a great time!

Comment

I grew up there and worked downtown for 25 years but haven't been back to CA since 2013. Great suggestions above...let me add a few. Can't offer much restaurant wise as things have changed since I lived there but any top rated restaurant is going to be excellent. Basically, most restaurants are good there because if not, you won't last...too many other good options.

As well as the others mentioned, the Modern Art Museum is a good one. If you are a baseball fan and the Giants are in town, the ball park is worth a trip. (I am hearing since the team sucks, tickets are cheaper.) I miss the variety of real deal regional Chinese food available in Chinatown and out in the Richmond as well as Mission St. burritos. Tadich Grill is a classic old school fish restaurant downtown that is great for lunch. If there is someone you like at The Fillmore, don't miss that. Maybe the best venue in the country, IMHO.
              Last edited by chopitulas; 6 days ago.

Comment

When I first saw this thread title yesterday, my first thought was "They've opened a Tipitina's in San Francisco?".

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post
                  When I first saw this thread title yesterday, my first thought was "They've opened a Tipitina's in San Francisco?".
                  They did open a Preservation Hall a few years back. Anyone know if it's still up and running ?

Comment

IF your wheels are still good, try the Filbert Steps - it's a great way to see some wild vistas you'd never see from a car/bus/streetcar. You may even see the flock of returned-to-feral parrots that live on the route. From the top of the walk, you can climb on to Coit Tower, then it's all downhill (take that anyway you want) to either the Embarcadero, Little Italy, or Chinatown - all of which I like something about.

I'm a huge fan of the Hardly Strictly Fest as well. We usually stay in the Outer Sunset neighborhood, which is a surfer/residential area. Great pizza (yeah, I said it) at the Pizza Place on Noriega and a cool bar, The Riptide , with California honky-tonk most weekends - Joe Goldmark on pedal steel (used to play with Jim Campilongo of the Little Willies) should not be missed if he's playing while you're around.

My musical tastes have run to Americana/fringe roots/punk-country of late and there a few places to indulge that in SF (Hotel Utah comes to mind, maybe Plough and Stars). I'm not too happy about what went down with Slim's/Great American Music Hall's booking, but the music typically doesn't suck at either.

If you don't mind a jaunt across (under) the bay, BART will take you almost directly to Yoshi's, probably the best upscale listening club I've been to in the Bay. This is where I've caught Dr. John and Zig in past years - sushi in-house, or walk to Everett & Jones, Oakland's premier BBQ joint. A bit further up the track is Berkeley, with Ashkenaz, a very dance-friendly hall, along with one of my other favorite "homey" clubs, the Freight & Salvage - a place that gets the best of the best for my tastes.

The Chapel SF is the place that was supposed to be Preservation Hall "West", but I've never been. The musical offerings look to be very similar to the HOB model.

Comment

Very good suggestions above. La Taqueria at 25th & Mission for the best tacos in the city. Order them 'dorado' style. For music, if there isn't anything special going on check out the Club Deluxe in the upper Haight on weekends. There's usually a couple of really good bands playing with no more than a $5 cover. Mostly in the jazz, blues, americana style. Great little club.

Comment

"supposed to be Preservation Hall West" ?? So it never opened ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                          "supposed to be Preservation Hall West" ?? So it never opened ?
                          It ended up being called The Chapel. It's s till open and is a nice place for music. Not too big and a very eclectic calendar.

Comment

For how long are you going, when will you be there and where do you plan to stay? We typically stay in the Marina area, park the car and walk, take the Fillmore & other MUNI buses, or Uber carpool. There is always more to do than we have time for and all the suggestions above are good ones.

These days we seem to prefer to see shows and party in Oakland. Seems easier (we live in Sacramento).

Comment

Going at the end of June, staying near fisherman's wharf. Just found out Galactic is playing a free show at the Stern Grove Fest while we are there, Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X