Report on flooding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report on flooding?

Hey locals, I know we're keeping a watchful eye on the flooding taking place. Worried looking at the rain yet to fall. Hoping you guys will all check in and let us know how you're doing and if you've been impacted. Greg, everything alright for you guys? Quint, you too? Tchop, etc?

Our street in Mid City flooded.

We live on the second floor, so our home is fine, but my car took a lot of water in the interior - engine fine but carpets flooded. A neighbor 5 blocks away had 7+ inches in his rain gauge.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Wild storm this morning, lots of street flooding in Carrollton. My house was OK as we seem to be on higher ground. (It didn't flood for Katrina.) My buddy Jeff "Guitar" Nelson has his vintage shop Glue in the 2nd block of Oak Street and posted a picture of water all the way from his storefront across to the storefronts on the other side of the street. Still are areas with water off So. Carrollton as it seems to subside very slowly.

I think all who live here think something is just not right as since the August storm a couple years ago, any amount of heavy rain produces flooding. I have lived here for 20 years and just don't remember it being like that. Yeah, I understand the system can be overwhelmed but it sure seems more vulnerable for rain than before.

I never worried about the river before but it is a serious concern. One vulnerable area seems to be by the Core Of Engineers facility near The Fly. I just don't know what happens if the levee gets overtopped. I live not that far from there. Am I gonna see water coming up So. Carrollton from the river? You don't want to leave but little has been said about what to do or what to expect if the levees are topped. Are you fucked, I mean really fucked, at that point?

And I wouldn't think it looks good for The Stones if we are gonna get serious rain Friday and Saturday. What happened today occurred in a few hours. If this thing stalls and dumps, it is gonna be serious. They gotta get their trucks in there, people have to be able to get to the Dome, etc. I donno....

Comment

Please be safe everyone. Thinking about you all and praying for the best.

Comment

Ugh. Hope the car interior is salvageable Swag.

You know, I was looking for coverage - local information- all day just to kind of get a better understanding of the extent and plan for later this week and was kind of surprised (or maybe not so surprised) to find so little information. So I can believe you Chop when you say that its tough to know what to do. Im really nervous for you all.

Comment

Climate change is real, yall. Were living it. It dumped 11 inches in Lee Circle in two to three hours. Luckily, Im on high ground. Unscathed, but not my neighbors.

Comment

I just returned from 2 weeks in the Midwest. I'm not going anywhere !! My Airbnb guests are thinking of canceling. Like Lol Luke, I'm on high ground. The water did come awful close to getting in the car, though. May move it to the neutral ground tomorrow. Thanks for the concern, Nicole.

Comment

Where Lisa lives uptown near General Pershing stayed high and dry but I know that they copped it down the far end of Napoleon.
                That river in that area down near the Fly that Chopper talked about was certainly very high when I was last there a month or so ago, so it must be getting ugly now

Comment

The river is supposed to crest at 20 feet, but only for a short time. Most of the levees above the Holy Cross area are closer to 25 feet, with a few exceptions, including the one by the Fly that Chop mentioned. I may have to take a stroll down there and see it for myself.

Comment

A friend who moved to NOLA a few years back lives in the area back of Rock 'N Bowl; he sent us a picture from his front porch showing his street flooded up to the bottom porch step...has to be 2 feet deep at least. I'm not religious so I can't offer prayers, but I'm definitely pulling for all y'all there. Best wishes.

Comment

Much support to our stalwart Orleanians. Stock up on bottled water. Parts of southern LA could see 10- 12 more inches of rain by Sunday.

Chopitulas wrote"sure seems more vulnerable for rain than before." True that, your neighborhood could be a foot and a half lower than when you moved in.

Different parts of the city are subsiding at different rates:

"Up to two inches a year were the highest subsidence rates found, observed mostly near the Mississippi River by industrial areas such as Norco and Michoud. Other high subsidence rates were found in the city's Upper and Lower Ninth Ward, Metairie, and Bonnet Carr Spillway, where the water levels hiked up another 1.6 inches a year."

Hang in there, but please have a plan to evacuate, please be safe

Full Article here
                      With rising sea levels more coastal communities are coming to terms with the long-term effects of hotter global temperatures.

Comment

I don't like the sound of any of this and will be thinking of y'all at the end of the week when it seems it's going to get even more serious. Take care everyone.

Comment

Tell me Rock n Bowl took water. That would be some sweet karma for John.

Comment

Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why the "hesco baskets" wouldn't have already been deployed as soon as the river nears flood stage? Like, what is the marker where deployment of these interventions makes sense?

Storm surge accompanying potential Category 1 Hurricane Barry may cause overtopping Saturday of much of the Mississippi river levee in the Lower 9th Ward, Algiers and St. Bernard Parish, according

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                              Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why the "hesco baskets" wouldn't have already been deployed as soon as the river nears flood stage? Like, what is the marker where deployment of these interventions makes sense?
                              My guess is that they really arent worried about overtopping levees. The main concern is rain amounts from the storm.

Comment

Working...
                              X