Maria Muldaur set at Fest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Muldaur set at Fest

Did anyone catch the Maria Muldaur set at Fest for her Blu Lu Barker tribute? I wanted to catch it but didn't and heard she's playing in NYC.. Any reviews? I have a potential conflict so I'm trying to find out if folks enjoyed to help make a decision.
    thanks much!

Originally posted by Nancy10016 View Post
    Did anyone catch the Maria Muldaur set at Fest for her Blu Lu Barker tribute? I wanted to catch it but didn't and heard she's playing in NYC.. Any reviews? I have a potential conflict so I'm trying to find out if folks enjoyed to help make a decision.
    thanks much!
    Hi Nancy

We saw this show at Fest and enjoyed and Maria still has a fairly strong voice and came across well with a tight band as you would expect

Comment

The tribute CD is really lovely, I would assume the show would be as well.

Comment

I was there as well - it was alright. Sadly the vibe in the Blues tent ruined a lot of it. It was post Mr. Sipp and prior to Boz - and seats were at a premium. Unfortunately the couple several seats over from us had some friends leave for a bit and left 2 seats open. So the entire set was marred by people leaning over to see if seats were open. The buzz in the room from people talking was bad as well. She had a lots of stops and starts for "storytelling" and it gave people the opening they needed to talk. Personally I had caught part of a Danny and BluLue tribute in Economy the day before that was a bit better IMO. Thought it was odd to have those back to back vs in two different weeks.

Comment

I'm not sure who is in her touring band but I wouldn't expect the show to be the same as the Fest show which I believe was a one-off with a unique band for that set.

Nancy, do you know Jay Pollock from Philly? I think he may have seen Maria Muldaur earlier this week in Atlantic City. It might be worth reaching out to him to ask. He's on Facebook.

Comment

Thank you all- and Nicole, thanks for that heads up- I'm not on FB but will send him a message from Barry to ask. Hope you're having a good summer...

Comment

The vibe in there was totally hostile with all the people standing guard over empty chairs. I thought you couldn't save chairs in the tents!

Comment

The kind thing to say, if you're going to hold a chair, is yes, I have a friend coming back. Please sit until they arrive.

Comment

She showed up at dba later that night and did a song with Tuba Skinny. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                    The kind thing to say, if you're going to hold a chair, is yes, I have a friend coming back. Please sit until they arrive.
                    For the times you have to be just a bit more assertive I have found that a polite "I'm sure you won't mind then if I just sit here until your friend gets back" works well most of the time. Hard for someone to say no to that reasonable request. Have only run into one person who wouldn't let me sit in the empty seat next to him after a couple of requests. Of course, at that point I really didn't want to sit next to him either.

Comment

I'll smile and tell you no. My guest will be back shortly. But that really doesn't matter. If you want a seat, and it's important to you, get there ahead of time. Exceptions of course to the elderly, pregnant, etc. I'll just give up my seat.

I also don't want to inconvenience the people around me be having people repeatedly block the stage because someone wants to sit in my buddy's seat while they're at the bathroom or the moon.
                      Last edited by Quint; 07-17-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I'm counting myself fortunate that I can still stand for a set in the back of the tent, but Maria's set is a perfect example of not-sitting, unless of course you're planning on getting your mail delivered to your seat for the day. As very-generously mentioned above, Maria had a (professional+) pick-up band who botched a couple of endings - which she took in stride and joked about. But as much as I enjoyed the memory-lane aspects (her bawdy eponymous release & Waitress In A Donut Shop were very... ummm, influential on a teenage California boy), leaving during a set after sitting down is just a bridge too far for me. If I sit, I feel like I need to stick for the duration, but I'm old-fashioned that way.

As to her upcoming show, I'd go - she's very engaging and any band she puts together will be top-notch!

Comment

So I have to give up my friendís seat if they leave for a moment so someone can sit in there like a seat filler at the Oscars and I canít leave once iíve sat until the set ends. Damn, lol.

Never knew we had these rules.

Do do we have rules for the chair mob that camps just outside the tents and blocks the entrances? Theyíre the worst.

Comment

[QUOTE=Quint;n841499]So I have to give up my friendís seat if they leave for a moment so someone can sit in there like a seat filler at the Oscars and I canít leave once iíve sat until the set ends. Damn, lol./QUOTE]

Cannot tell you how many times the "my friends coming right back" turns into a whole set of never seeing said friend. It's just not right to hold a seat in the front sections for no one or for someone who is going to be gone a long while. Nobody gets hurt by being kind. And, for the times that someone gets back quickly - I get up quickly and say "thanks and enjoy the rest of the day." And, BTW, if i'm sitting in your "friend's" seat and you want to go grab a beer or food, I'll happily hold your seat till you get back or until end of set. But guess what, if someone asks if that seat's taken, my response is yes, but you can sit there till he gets back.

Comment

I didn't stay long for Maria' set. It wasn't because of her, but because of the often discussed Blues Tent issues. Her 1992 album Louisiana Love Call is one of my all time favorites and any Threadheads who do not have a copy in any format should find one immediately. Thanks Duende for the pic you posted (sigh).

Comment

Working...
                              X