No announcement yet.

hearing any new artists/music, lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hearing any new artists/music, lately?

My newest find is American Dreams by JS Ondara from Kenya. He has a very interesting story...
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...erview-790867/

Yes!
    Molly Tuttle at Telluride Bluegrass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcFyABiV9-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtKKKMWrt_M
    Last edited by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic); 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM. Reason: added another video

Comment

Yes, I've really been enjoying jazz harpist Brandee Younger, specifically her two recordings (available through Bandcamp), Soul Awakening and Live at the Breeding Ground.

And both of those albums feature another new to me player I really like, Chelsea Baratz on tenor sax. I saw her in Maurice Brown's band at Jazzfest this year, and she is on his recording The Mood (and the excellent live at Jazzfest set available from Munck Music).

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
        Yes, I've really been enjoying jazz harpist Brandee Younger, specifically her two recordings (available through Bandcamp), Soul Awakening and Live at the Breeding Ground.

And both of those albums feature another new to me player I really like, Chelsea Baratz on tenor sax. I saw her in Maurice Brown's band at Jazzfest this year, and she is on his recording The Mood (and the excellent live at Jazzfest set available from Munck Music).
        She's also quite good on the album Universal Beings by Makaya McCraven. Not on all of the album but the whole thing is great with a bunch of other fantastic musicians as well (Shabaka Hutchings, Jeff Parker, Tomeka Reid, Joel Ross, Nubya Garcia, Miguel Atwood Ferguson among others).

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

Yes!
          And an Amen to that brother! If you like her, listen to her brother Sullivan's band Blue Summit featuring AJ Lee.

Comment

Oh boy, plenty of them at Grassroots Festival in beautiful Trumansburg, NY (Finger Lakes region, near Ithaca). Just a few off the top of my head: Tattat, R&B/funk from Columbus , Ohio (winner of last years band contest, which earned them the gig); Cortadito, Cuban "Son" music (like Buena Vista Social Club), not actually new to me since they played GR last few years, but WTF; Appalachia Rising, 2 sisters, traditional bluegrass instruments but unique & eclectic; Hayley Jane & the Primates, kick ass blues/rockish, from Boston, dynamic, ball o'fire lead singer & wild dancer; Garifuna Collective, from Belize, kinda reggae/salsa-ish music of the Garifuna people (slave ship went down in 1675, some slaves escaped & intermarried with Carib natives), too many more to mention
            This fest is a great, eclectic event with a Woodstocky vibe (but MUCH smaller & very manageable) Its run by Donna the Buffalo & friends, used to be lots of their Ithaca old time string band buddies, but since they expanded to spin off fests in N. Carolina & Miami,they're bringing in lots of great Latin bands, etc
            Check it out some time....

Comment

Heard new Seratones on the radio the other day. Understand this is their sophomore release but I missed their debut completely. Intrigued so want to give them a closer look. Out of Shreveport. Debut supposedly leaned punk while new release leans Stax. With modern twists of course.

Comment

Can someone define new? I think so, but I'm curious what defines new.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                  And Stax... While we're defining. "new release leans Stax."

Comment

Originally posted by JasperJohns View Post

And Stax... While we're defining. "new release leans Stax."
                    As in Stax Records, Memphis sound. Honestly I donít know much about them but their new album is coming out this month with just some cuts released so that seems to qualify as new to me although the debut album is a few years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcFyABiV9-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtKKKMWrt_M
                      I love her! Saw her in Lyons, Colorado last year.....picks like Doc Watson!

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                        Probably means "new to the person posting"

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

I love her! Saw her in Lyons, Colorado last year.....picks like Doc Watson!

You must have made it to Rocky Grass last year.

Comment

new music...Ö well maybe not new but the first time we saw Brandi Carlile with full band was at Telluride Bluegrass.
                            Her set ranks in the top 4 sets I've seen in my lifetime.

Sure would like to see her at Voodoo this year but we have plans for another festival that weekend.

Comment

So many of you wrote such great things about The War and Treaty set at Fest, which we missed. We got to see them in the city this past week and I'm so glad- they did a free show in Battery Park and are out there touring . They'll be in Philly tomorrow. If you get a chance, go see them. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X