No announcement yet.

Other Festivals 2020!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peach 2020 looks good to me! But I'll be in good 'ol Quincy CA....

JRAD will have to travel quickly to do both HSMF and Peach! (JRAD so far the only announced artist for High Sierra)

http://thepeachmusicfestival.com/202...-announcement/

Comment

The lineup for one of Western Europe's best music festivals, Stuttgart Jazz Open has been released, and it features an eclectic mix, including Sting, John Legend, Lenny Kravitz, Corrine Bailey Rae, Stanley Clark/Bill Evans/Robben Ford, David Sanborn & Lisa Simone (none of which are huge draws for me except for Sting, whom I have seen a few times in the last few years) but there is also a night that looks to prove interesting, one that pairs Van Morrison sharing a stage with good ol' Cat "Yusuf Islam" Stevens.

I didn't know that he (Cat Stevens) was still performing, or that he had any artistic connection with Van, (other than they were both influential UK musicians from the 1960's) or if he currently plays any of his music written before his conversion to Islam, (or if he still thinks author Salman Rushdie is still deserving of death for his writings) but it struck me as something that has potential for being a memorable event, either for better or worse.

Stuttgart is a modern. vibrant city, but frankly is mostly lacking in the picturesque charm and historical architecture of many other German towns in the vicinity, but the Stuttgart Jazz Open is an extremely well run festival that features multiple performances each evening in various venues all over the city, ranging from the huge main stage area to several intimate clubs and stages in small outdoor parks.

www.jazzopen.com

Comment

Oh man, I'd love to see Van and Cat share a stage. Should be awesome !! Cat still sounds great and still plays the hits. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoPoI1IwcTw

Comment

nice lineup

https://hogsforthecause.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic)
            nice lineup at Hogs For The Cause

Agree. I bought early-bird a couple of months ago, and I'm happy now that I see who's playing.
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Agree. I bought early-bird a couple of months ago, and I'm happy now that I see who's playing.
              Yep. Solid. And the money goes a
              to a great cause. Friday night overnight is such a blast.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that JF needed to rebook Old Crow Medicine Show again. And another win/win. Christone Kingfish.
                I missed Kingfish last month in Houston due to the show was sold out.

Comment

Wait wait wait..... Are you telling me two day tickets for $45. No way! $22.50+ per day.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Nice. Don't miss Yola.

Comment

Charley Crockett's set would be a fun square-peg performance in that group, but maybe not so much an outlier if you consider OCMS and Paul (Cocaine Country Dancin') Cauthen also in that lineup. I watched his set streaming from Pickathon before his successful heart surgery and enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

I’d like to see Paul Cauthen and his band in a scenario where they don’t immaturely storm off the stage mid set in protest after earlier having been asked to not smoke weed in the venue- an active church.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                          Wait wait wait..... Are you telling me two day tickets for $45. No way! $22.50+ per day.
                          Yeah. IIRC last year single day tickets were $30 advance $40 gate. And $10 to park.

If you do get advance tickets, I strongly recommend the option to get the wristband sent by mail. It's a well run fest, but the will call line can get pretty long.
                          Last edited by swag; 12-12-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Voodoo Fest tickets went on sale today. Initial GA price is $99+ for the 3 day pass, which is actually less than last year I think.

Comment

Comment

The lineup for Rock Werchter looks like it will appeal to fans of 1990's era American "Alternative Rock", with Pearl Jam, Wilco, The Pixies (all on the same day) Faith No More, System Of A Down, and Thom Yorke, plus several bands I am not familiar with.

Werchter is about 20 miles from Brussels, and while tickets are NOT cheap at 110 Euros per day (about $125 USD) that does include a "free" train ticket anywhere in Belgium to encourage people to take public transportation, which is up to a 40 Euro value, that I think makes it a much more reasonable proposition.

Would I pay $125 to see a triple bill of Pearl Jam, Wilco and The Pixies? Considering that the "Cheap" seats for Pearl Jam here in Krakow are $100 USD (which is HUGE money here in Poland) and our tickets to Wilco in Warsaw in September were $40 (and worth every penny, an absolutely killin' show, in a small, GA club with probably under 400 people in attendance, with great sound and zero lines for restrooms or the 8 zloty beers (2.00 USD)) it doesn't sound too outrageous...

Belgium is a lovely country, and the famous Grand-Place de Bruxelles has to be the singlemost architecturally stunning sight I have ever seen (we were just there for a couple of nights after seeing Maceo Parker in the Netherlands last weekend) but it is not the most budget-friendly place in the world, as hotels, restaurants and their world-renowned beers don't come cheap, (at least to someone used to prices in Eastern Europe, but things are not as bad as places like London, Paris, NYC or San Francisco) but like Jazzfest, there are ways to plan early and save considerable money on a room or flights.

www.RockWerchter.be
                                Last edited by MormonMatthew; 12-19-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X