Ferry News That Ain't So Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferry News That Ain't So Good

I posted this earlier today on Zuckerberg's Bulletin Board Threadhead Page, and I don't know how many THs visit this old relic of a Bored anymore, but just in case: Threadheads attending CCBQ or any who are planning to be in NOLA in the next four to six weeks, sorry to inform you that the Canal Street/Algiers ferry won't be in service. If you visit us in Algiers Point, and we over here hope you will, other forms of transportation will have to be used. A bus is running from either Harrah's or in front of the ferry landing (nobody seems to know which), but that ain't the same, is it? Businesses, including our beloved Rosetree Glass Studio, The Old Point, The Crown and Anchor, Tavolinos Pizza and others, are going to be hurt by this. Visit us if you can. Hope to see some of you at CCBQ. Rosetree made the point that if a group of you carpool, the price of an Uber or Lyft wouldn't be much different considering the 2 buck ferry fee. If you can during your next NOLA stay, get to The Point!

I read about this in the Advocate the other day.

Bloody hopeless state of affairs new boats never getting approval, very old currently used ones breaking down on a regular basis.
    No back up plan in place for when old ones are not available.
    And so it goes.
    Fell sorry for the people and businesses that are affected by this

Comment

What a mess! Not fair to the people that live there and the businesses in Algiers. This problem has been brewing for a while now and now it's blown up. Sad but typical of this city.

Comment

Any new news ? Rosey...Kemp...?? I know they recently had a meeting with the RTA and residents of the 'Pernt'.

Comment

https://www.nola.com/news/article_b6...dd2a25e55.html

Comment

You must subscribe as well. Can't read it. Nola.com is subscription only now !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

You must subscribe as well. Can't read it. Nola.com is subscription only now !!!
              I've never subscribed nor would I. I can read articles on my PC and phone but not on my laptop. No idea why.

The Regional Transit Authority is working on a plan to provide money to Algiers businesses that have been adversely affected by the Canal Street-Algiers Point ferries' absence, the agency's CEO said Thursday.

The extent of that help is unclear, and the plan's details are still being worked out.

The RTA's ferry troubles are twofold. Its old ferries, which it inherited in 2014 from the state Department of Transportation and Development, have been on the water for decades, with one that is 77 years old, and have largely outlived their useful lives.

At the same time, the agency and its private management contractor still can't use two modern catamaran-style boats ordered in 2017 at a cost of $10 million.

The new ferries cannot pass a U.S. Coast Guard inspection. Until they do, those vessels can't bring passengers from the Central Business District to Algiers Point and back.

Corrosion, improperly placed fuel tanks and other problems have all at one time or another kept the new boats docked.

Wiggins, who joined the RTA earlier this year, recently tapped a project manager and a marine surveyor to work with the shipbuilder, Metal Shark of Jeanerette, to resolve the remaining problems, which Wiggins described Thursday as "cosmetic."

Meanwhile, the old boats have had problem after problem. One, the 40-year-old Col. Frank X. Armiger, has had repeated failures of its propulsion system.

The other, the Thomas Jefferson, was pulled off the water earlier this year for maintenance work that was supposed to last a few weeks. But the steel work that the boat needs is more extensive than officials expected, Wiggins said. That work could take until the end of 2019.

Comment

Hey Ken, if you're wondering why your girlfriend was terrified about losing her job, this thread is a perfect example why. (Also see the Tips thread as well.) Lotta people want her to work for free because they can't be hassled to pay for local journalism, yet expect coverage of certain topics when then need help or their friends need help.

I hope she made it, btw. Know a lot of folks who didn't make the jump or had to take pennies on the dollar to keep their jobs.

I mean think if some clown posted a link of your album, which I dig btw, to download for free. Would that be cool? I'd imagine you worked your off ass for that.

Vibes for Wankers.
                Last edited by Quint; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

The news is we haven't had ferry service for 55 days nor will we any time soon and that businesses in The Point (including our beloved Rosetree Studio ) are suffering and folks who live in the Point and work across the river are relying on slipshod bus service, plus many other inconveniences. The RTA keeps holding meetings where they tell us the same old shit over and over again. A concerned resident has sued them for withholding public information. No, it ain't good, folks, and hasn't been since Bobby Jindal and all his Tea Party Cronies decided in their righteous wisdom to remove the ferries from state oversight. Send emails and raise hell if you want to help. I will provide links later.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
                    Hey Ken, if you're wondering why your girlfriend was terrified about losing her job, this thread is a perfect example why. (Also see the Tips thread as well.) Lotta people want her to work for free because they can't be hassled to pay for local journalism, yet expect coverage of certain topics when then need help or their friends need help.

I hope she made it, btw. Know a lot of folks who didn't make the jump or had to take pennies on the dollar to keep their jobs.

I mean think if some clown posted a link of your album, which I dig btw, to download for free. Would that be cool? I'd imagine you worked your off ass for that.

Vibes for Wankers.
                    Well...if the subscription thing doesn't work out, they can always revert back. Freedom of the press, Lol man.

And who's Ken ?

Comment

The ferries across the Mississippi are iconic city entrances. Right up there with going through the Fort Pitt Tunnel into Pittsburgh. I know both start in the city, and end in the city.

Losing one due to stumblebums is a great loss.

Comment

I just read this from Chicago on a tablet, without subscribing. ???

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post

I just read this from Chicago on a tablet, without subscribing. ???
                          Blocked for me here in New Orleans. Nice win by the Bears yesterday, btw.

Comment

If you go in through the Google homepage (put it on 'incognito' mode), you'll likely be able to get access.

Comment

I run into the same deal with the Trib, three free articles per month. The Bears should have had at least two more TDs...a dropped pass to a wide-open receiver and a pick in the end zone when one receiver dragged his defender right into the pass headed for another. Also, Trubisky threw a deep pick when he tried to dump the ball into coverage in the middle of the field when pressured, and a 60-yard catch-and-run into the red zone was nullified by a marginal/phantom hand to the face penalty on a OL. But then, Rodgers could only manage 1 TD and got blown out last night. Now to pound the Lions and get to .500 on T-Day.

Comment

Working...
                              X