X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"allegedly" opening! Da truth!

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

yeah, we had one of those coming back from Fest this year. Our 7 pm flight left around 11 pm, I think. And found out the hard way that all the restaurants in the airport close at 8. (We had a late lunch and were not planning on eating at the airport). So in the greatest restaurant city, we had premade sandwiches that had been sitting all day from an airport convenience store. I was so upset!

I wonder if the restaurants will be open later in the new terminal?
      Generally, airports spots close about a half hour before the last departure. That may not change. Currently, the last departure is a 10 pm on Southwest, so concourse B. The latest departure out of D is on UA at 7:50 pm. Today, if you're on that UA flight and delayed, there's likely nothing open. But with the new terminal, everything is connected once you're past security, and you will be able to walk over to the Southwest gates and probably find someone still serving there.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Transit Update

Beginning Wednesday, November 6, 2019, the E1 Veterans bus will service the new airport terminal.

The E2 Airport route’s name will change to “E2 Airline” as it will still serve the Airline Drive corridor, but it will no longer serve the airport. The E2 Airline route’s schedule will remain the same.

There will be two branches of the E1 Veterans route. The two branches will have separate schedules, and the buses will be marked as either E1 Veterans City Park Airport or E1 Veterans Downtown Airport. Both branches will serve the airport on one end, but the E1 Veterans City Park Airport will go to the Cemeteries Transit Center (Canal Blvd & City Park Ave) as usual while the E1 Veterans Downtown Airport will divert onto I-10 at Causeway Blvd, exit I-10 onto City Park Ave, and continue all the way into downtown New Orleans on Canal Street (see Hard Rock building collapse detour below). The E1 Veterans Downtown Airport bus will NOT stop at the Cemeteries Transit Center.

Due to the Hard Rock Hotel building collapse downtown, the new E1 Veterans Downtown Airport bus will begin service on Wednesday, November 6 with a detour until further notice. The bus will divert off of Canal Street to Poydras Street to avoid the building collapse area. The detour will have the bus turn right off of Canal Street onto Elk Place and then left on Poydras Street to continue downtown. The bus will turn around to reverse course on Poydras using S. Peters Street, Canal, and Convention Center Boulevard. From there, the bus will continue on Poydras until S. Galvez Street where it will turn right and then left to get back on route on Canal, continuing to the end of Canal to get on I-10 at City Park Avenue.

More including list of Canal St stops at https://jeffersontransit.org/wp-cont...ith-detour.pdf

This seems like good news. While the old E2 stopped only at Elk Place and Tulane/Carrollton, the replacement E1 will serve the entire Canal St corridor (temporarily Poydras) from Magazine St. through Mid City.

Also today, NORTA posted :

The schedule for the 202 - Airport Express will remain the same, but buses will no longer stop at the old terminal. Riders can access the bus on the third level at the new terminal.

(So still the oddly timed schedule, designed more for employees than passengers).
        Last edited by swag; 11-04-2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Generally, airports spots close about a half hour before the last departure. That may not change. Currently, the last departure is a 10 pm on Southwest, so concourse B. The latest departure out of D is on UA at 7:50 pm. Today, if you're on that UA flight and delayed, there's likely nothing open. But with the new terminal, everything is connected once you're past security, and you will be able to walk over to the Southwest gates and probably find someone still serving there.
          If the airlines and airport vendors work together, Eating places will stay open late for delayed flights. Good for the vendors.

Doesn't mean it will happen at MSY.

Comment

Second day open, I am waiting for my flight. Have been here for four hours, so lots of time to check out the place. Some nice art on the walls to balance the spacious, sterile, color free general ambiance. Best food so far was the crawfish Mac and cheese at Ye Olde College Inn outpost which had no waiting line (unlike Emeril’s and the other restaurants.) I’m surprised they gave Dooky Chase another chance after the terribly run joint at the old airport. Cajun guitar and accordion duo on a riser over a little wine bar ($18 8 oz. Sterling Cabernet.) Women’s bathrooms have waiting lines I’m told. Chilly in my terminal. Cab from the quarter was same cost and time spent in midafternoon—lots of complaints by my cabby about the hassles they face. The cab line on the first day had most of a thousand people he said. Overall, probably a better experience than the old place. Wear good shoes—- it’s a lot more steps. And bring a jacket. It’ll feel more local when that moldy funk settles in.

Comment

Nice review. I heard getting an uber or cab outta there is a clusterf*ck and a LONG wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                Nice review. I heard getting an uber or cab outta there is a clusterf*ck and a LONG wait.
                Ugh. I'm flying 11/15-17 and debating driving and navigating the new parking, or taking a cab each way. Its a work trip, so cost isn't a consideration. But it is a 7 am departing flight, so I want it to be as hassle-free as possible.

I'm also watching for the experience of others how much extra time to allow to travel home-airport. With an early morning flight, traffic is not an issue. I'm roughly guessing 30 additional minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post

Ugh. I'm flying 11/15-17 and debating driving and navigating the new parking, or taking a cab each way. Its a work trip, so cost isn't a consideration. But it is a 7 am departing flight, so I want it to be as hassle-free as possible.

I'm also watching for the experience of others how much extra time to allow to travel home-airport. With an early morning flight, traffic is not an issue. I'm roughly guessing 30 additional minutes.
                  Good luck !! Let us know how it goes. I'm dreading my first trip there/back. Luckily, nothing coming up for foreseeable future.

Comment

To the airport, cab/uber will be the easiest, but until they get the wait times down, I wouldn't want to rely on those to get back home. So I'd drive. One thing that's nice is that the airport website now shows parking availability. I wouldn't expect capacity issues on a non-holiday Friday morning in November, but check the site the night before or that morning to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

To the airport, cab/uber will be the easiest, but until they get the wait times down, I wouldn't want to rely on those to get back home. So I'd drive. One thing that's nice is that the airport website now shows parking availability. I wouldn't expect capacity issues on a non-holiday Friday morning in November, but check the site the night before or that morning to be sure.
                      This is helpful - I like how short term shows the available number of spots, however long term and surface lots show only "open". A friend just posted her review on FB and said the parking garage was a mess - signs showing available parking weren't working and "the blue lights above each spot just blinked - seizure prone people beware!". She recommended adding 25 minutes to your commute, which confirms my guess of 30 min is pretty accurate.

Comment

Also a friend posted the baggage carousel isn't working so luggage is having to be hand scanned and hand delivered to the planes so some planes are an hour late taking off. This person didn't make their connection because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                          Also a friend posted the baggage carousel isn't working so luggage is having to be hand scanned and hand delivered to the planes so some planes are an hour late taking off. This person didn't make their connection because of it.
                          I would think something this critical would have a high priority to be fixed.

Comment

The problem is in the inline bagging screening system. Bags go from the Ticket Counter, through TSA screening, then to the airline baggage makeup area. At present in MSY more bags than the system can handle. Not an easy fix.

In Cleveland, with a staged startup (one or two airlines at a time) things went to Hell when the last airlines were added. It was holiday season two years ago. Things didn't get better until loads dropped and multiple fixes were implemented. More than a year after that there were still issues. It works much better now, the airlines hope it can continue through the holidays this year.

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/201...rag_about.html

Comment

I would think something this critical would have a high priority to be fixed.
                              One can only hope.

There has been a recent change in my circumstances at home, so I will be flying in to MSY in a couple of weeks to check if my pushies are still operating OK.

With some degree of luck there could be a semblance of normality at MSY by then.

Comment

Won't have any impact on inbound baggage.

Comment

Working...
                                X