Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biking in the City of New Orleans (Illinois Central, Monday Morning Rail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
    Please tell me this isn’t true? Are the blue bikes really being replaced with those boosted things? What a stupid shame. It’ll be much easier for me to break my other clavicle riding one of those.
    Looks like it's true.

The city council will consider an ordinance on electric bikes on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

For once, not weird Aussie slang. "The Fly" is the section of Audubon Park nearest to the River.
      And a good place to relax

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
        Aren't the Blue Bikes being replaced next year with motorized ones ??
        I just got back from Austin where they have regular bikes, electric bikes, scooters and more. I saw many drunks riding them downhill on busy S Congress St. They are everywhere on the sidewalks as only the red bikes are docked. New Orleans was ready to allow them here but put on the brakes. It would be a total shitshow here.

Comment

Ok, so I had anticipated coming back sooner and writing a lot more about my week in Nola but seemed to have lost momentum. Let me at least report on where I ate, and if anyone is looking for any specifics I am happy to provide them.

Breakfasts -- Surrey's (twice, awesome), Willa Jean (twice, awesome, why did no one tell me about their artichoke dip before?), Paladar 511 (Sunday brunch, awesome; amazing lemon ricotta pancakes), Kingfish (good; see below about weird vibe)

Coffee -- Revelator (great); HiVolt (great); District (great; I shouldn't have had the donut); French Truck (fair)

Lunches -- Mahony's (in the Quarter, good), Parkway (twice, awesome), Napoleon House (great, love the warm muff), Neyow's (didn't love it as much as I wanted to, but will give it another try), Gabrielle (great; amazing gumbo); Central Grocery (great, put my half muff in the fridge and took it on the train the next day; it was none the worse for wear)

Dinners -- Brigtsen's (awesome), Gris Gris (awesome), Red's Chinese (awesome), Gabrielle (awesome); Palm & Pine (awesome); Bakery Bar (their menu is too ambitious, but love me some doberge cake), Cooper Vine (great patio that doesn't feel like you're dining on the corner of Paydras and O'Keefe; excellent pre- or post-Dome or Blender dining venue); Kingfish (good food; well intentioned service; weird vibe, but not in a good way); Dat Dog (Frenchmen location; fair; I should know better, but sometimes inertia drags me in)
          Last edited by Blumie; 6 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post
            Ok, so I had anticipated coming back sooner and writing a lot more about my week in Nola but seemed to have lost momentum. Let me at least report on where I ate, and if anyone is looking for any specifics I am happy to provide them.

Breakfasts -- Surrey's (twice, awesome), Willa Jean (twice, awesome, why did no one tell me about their artichoke dip before?), Paladar 511 (Sunday brunch, awesome; amazing lemon ricotta pancakes), Kingfish (good; see below about weird vibe)

Coffee -- Revelator (great); HiVolt (great); District (great; I shouldn't have had the donut); French Truck (fair)

Lunches -- Mahony's (in the Quarter, good), Parkway (twice, awesome), Napoleon House (great, love the warm muff), Neyow's (didn't love it as much as I wanted to, but will give it another try), Gabrielle (great; amazing gumbo); Central Grocery (great, put my half muff in the fridge and took it on the train the next day; it was none the worse for wear)

Dinners -- Brigtsen's (awesome), Gris Gris (awesome), Red's Chinese (awesome), Gabrielle (awesome); Palm & Pine (awesome); Bakery Bar (their menu is too ambitious, but love me some doberge cake), Cooper Vine (great patio that doesn't feel like you're dining on the corner of Paydras and O'Keefe; excellent pre- or post-Dome or Blender dining venue); Kingfish (good food; well intentioned service; weird vibe, but not in a good way); Dat Dog (Frenchmen location; fair; I should know better, but sometimes inertia drags me in)
            I live 2 blocks from Neyow's, have eaten there a few times and with all the better places in town will never eat there again. Way overrated. As for Kingfish, it was a good restaurant when it opened but as I saw when I worked there for a year it has gone steadily downhill since with a revolving door of chefs, cooks, management and front of house staff. Overall you made some great choices of places to eat. I go out to eat fairly often and will never be able to put a dent in my ever changing list of places that I want to try.

Comment

Wow! You hit several of my faves, Blumie. Love Gabrielle, Willa Jean, Surreys, Parkway and Red's.

Comment

I forgot one meal: I had a wonderful, well-wined lunch at Jack Rose at the Pontchatrain Hotel. They did a great take on chicken parm, combining bone-in fried chicken with Parmesan cheese and an excellent red gravy.

Which reminds me, when I was at Brigtsen’s I made the extraordinarily difficult decision to bypass the duck, the seafood platter, and the gulf fish to order veal parm. Frank’s version is awesome!

i had gumbo at each of Brigtsen’s, Gabrielle, Jack Rose, and Gris Gris. I don’t think it’s possible to rank them, but they were all great.

I’m never eating again. Well at least until April when I’m back in Nola.
                Last edited by Blumie; 5 days ago.

Comment

I'm glad that this thread took a pivot to food and away from the Blue Bikes to briefly distract me. But....sigh....I'm really sad if this means that the Blue Bikes are going to be completely replaced by boosted bikes. I sincerely hope it does not happen. What an idiotic move.
                  Since the Blue Bikes arrived I've used them very heavily and I have zero interest in using an electric bike instead. I've used one in Philly and while you can still opt t pedal like usual, the electric stuff adds weight, fussiness and cost. I get that the electric bikes increase accessibility, increase speed and increase bike utilization on a hit day- BUT, I'd be more inclined to see it as a positive if the electric bikes were incorporated into the existing fleet as they had been in Philly.

Comment

I'm glad that this thread took a pivot to food and away from the Blue Bikes to briefly distract me. But....sigh....I'm really sad if this means that the Blue Bikes are going to be completely replaced by boosted bikes. I sincerely hope it does not happen. What an idiotic move.
                    Since the Blue Bikes arrived I've used them very heavily and I have zero interest in using an electric bike instead. I've used one in Philly and while you can still opt t pedal like usual, the electric stuff adds weight, fussiness and cost. I get that the electric bikes increase accessibility, increase speed and increase bike utilization on a hit day- BUT, I'd be more inclined to see it as a positive if the electric bikes were incorporated into the existing fleet as they had been in Philly.
                    Totally agree! N.O. is flat anyway!

Comment

I agree. At least give people a choice to use a regular bike or a motorized one. The blue bikes are heavy enough and hard enough to maintain. I bike all over this city (on my own bike) and do not see the need for motorized bikes. The city is mostly flat except for a slight incline here and there and the bridges that go over the highways. Part of biking besides getting around is getting some exersize!

Comment

Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Totally agree! N.O. is flat anyway!
                        I biked over the canal on Chef Hwy. that was some good exercise!

Comment

Working...
                        X