X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quint
    Not the real Quint
    • May 2018

Favorite albums of the 2010s

Only a few weeks left in this decade. What were your favorite albums from this decade?

Here's some of mine:

Kamasi Washington: The Epic
    D’Angelo: Black Messiah
    Ty Segal: Manipulator
    Kendrick Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly
    Sturgill Simpson: Metasounds in Modern Country
    King Gizzard: Mind Fuzz
    Tame Impala: Currents
    Last edited by Quint; 12-05-2019, 12:46 PM.
  • smallyak49
    • Jan 2016

I need a few more weeks, but I will be formulating a personal top 20 or 50 from the decade. I can't choose only 5 or 10, because some years had more than 1 album that should make my decade list, so I decided I will work on either 20, 25, 40 or 50 lol. Once I have my list put together, I will share here. I am part of a music group email list and also a separate hip hop email list, and over the last 10-15 years, different people put together their top 10 or 15 each year. I missed a bunch of years, but did a top 10 for 6 of the 10 years in this decade. Once I finish the other 4 years that I skipped, I can begin to put my decade list together.

Comment

• Quint
      Not the real Quint
      • May 2018

Originally posted by smallyak49
      I can't choose only 5 or 10, because some years had more than 1 album that should make my decade list, so I decided I will work on either 20, 25, 40 or 50 lol.
      Somebody still hasn't thrown out their old baseball cards, comics, and stamps.

I hear ya, There's like 5 that instantly jumped out after I posted mine. Me: Was that this decade? Yeah, It was. Oops.

Comment

• chopitulas
        • Jan 2009

Off the top of my head, some as much for how I enjoyed the artist during the decade, picking one of their releases out of several I may have liked equally.

David Bowie - Blackstar
        Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live from the Fox, Oakland
        Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit
        Israel Nash - Lifted
        Sonny Landreth - Recorded Live in Lafayette
        Kamasi Washington - The Epic
        Lucinda Williams - Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone
        John Coltrane - Both Directions at Once
        The Jayhawks - Back Roads and Abandoned Motels
        William Tyler - Modern Country
        Ambrose Akinmusire - When The Heart Emerges Glistening
        Last edited by chopitulas; 12-05-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Quint
          Not the real Quint
          • May 2018

Originally posted by chopitulas
          Off the top of my head, some as much for how I enjoyed the artist during the decade, picking one of their releases out of several I may have liked equally.

David Bowie - Blackstar
          Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live from the Fox, Oakland
          Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit
          Israel Nash - Lifted
          Sonny Landreth - Recorded Live in Lafayette
          Kamasi Washington - The Epic
          Lucinda Williams - Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone
          John Coltrane - Both Directions at Once
          The Jayhawks - Back Roads and Abandoned Motels
          William Tyler - Modern Country
          Ambrose Akinmusire - When The Heart Emerges Glistening
          Blackstar is one I need to try. Also my list is probably missing Frank Ocean and Ye.

Comment

• smallyak49
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Quint

Somebody still hasn't thrown out their old baseball cards, comics, and stamps.

I hear ya, There's like 5 that instantly jumped out after I posted mine. Me: Was that this decade? Yeah, It was. Oops.
            Haha, I never collected comics or stamps. But my baseball cards are definitely still at my parents house in a box in their basement, along with boxes of CDs and DVDS lol

I know even if I make my list top 20 or 50, Id still probably think of some I missed after putting the list out. That is why making these lists are challenging, and the lists themselves can changes constantly based on my mood or remembering albums I had forgotten about lol

Comment

• smallyak49
              • Jan 2016

Blackstar is one I need to try. Also my list is probably missing Frank Ocean and Ye.
              Ah good reminder, Frank might have an album make my list. By Ye, you mean Kanye? Or someone else lol? My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will definitely be in my top 5, and definitely in consideration for top 3.

Comment

• chopitulas
                • Jan 2009

Really interesting album. For me, it was also the timing of its release and the Lazarus video. You could not think anything than it was an orchestrated goodbye from Bowie, coming as they both did right when he left this mortal coil, as artistic a treatment of mortality as could have been made.

I have remained a big fan of Donny McCaslin, who was very affected by his experience making the record. And big props to Tim Lefebvre who played bass on it and was in TTB for a long spell.

Comment

Working...