New Years Eve Shows: Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Eve Shows: Yay or Nay?

There's couple of nice shows around town, from Foundations of Funk to Galatic to Lee Fields to Big Freedia. A ton of good shows this year, including the Revivalists if your ears don't work. (I kid, I kid. Sort of. They are pretty bad)

Foundations of Funk and Lee Fields are tops for me, but yeah, dealing with New Years show crowds seem to be more and more of a deterrent. And I don't mind crowded shows either. It's more of an amateur hour holiday crowd like St. Patty's Day that makes it unbearable. And the price is usually all jacked up.

Just looked. Lee Fields and Aaron Abernathy is $164-$218. LOL. That's a no for me, dawg.

As a veteran of many Grateful Dead NYE shows, nothing else really comes close for me. The FOF looks like a winner but a packed HOB is not fun to deal with.

Comment

Feel like crowded shows at House of Blues have gotten better, especially once they killed the third bar. I've seen some crowded shows there in the past few years and didn't think it was as bad. Plus with so many other shows, it might not be that bad. It's 50 to get in. Might have just talked myself into going.

Comment

Only a handful of times in the last 30 years have I not gone to a show on NYE. We typically avoid the super-overpriced shows, but a trip somewhere where someone is playing music is always in our plans. The problem I have is getting home after the show. Before Uber/Lyft getting a cab was extremely difficult and I have a fond memory of a bus driver picking us up mid-block in the Mission District after we walked for miles and were still only halfway to our room. Now with ride sharing rides are available but surge pricing makes it prohibitive. Thus scoping out late night public transportation becomes part of the logistical planning. Amateur night...maybe?

Comment

I used to play at the Riverwalk before they re-modeled it and took out the restaurant we played at. On NYE, you would have to be there til the fireworks ended. I remember one NYE leaving driving up Canal and the street was full of dolled up young women spilling out of the hotels, tottering around shakily on high heels. One came up to my window and drunkenly asked if I would drive her home. Sadly, she had no idea where that was. Yeah, it's amateur night and the ride services are maxed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post
            Feel like crowded shows at House of Blues have gotten better, especially once they killed the third bar. I've seen some crowded shows there in the past few years and didn't think it was as bad. Plus with so many other shows, it might not be that bad. It's 50 to get in. Might have just talked myself into going.
            I went to Steel Pukse at HOB 6 months to a year ago and it was the most oversold show ive ever been to.

Best looking show to me is Naughty Professor at Maple Leaf. I went last year and it was great.

Comment

A nay for me in philly- the listings at the fun venues are usually terrible. There’s always a great show at a fussy sit down venue (which I normally like just fine) but on NYE that feels too dull to me. A few years ago the club by my house had a great NYE show- I can’t remember who it was but it was open bar (good stuff not just crummy cheap beer and rail booze) but they seem to have done away with that.
              The getting home thing is a major hassle so now we typically spend NYE at our place or go to our friends’ in NJ and just take it easy and drive home after. In philly the real party is New Year’s Day anyhow, so I try to save it up until Mummers time.

Comment

No for me, I'll be hanging with friends walking distance from home.

But for anyone who is going out in NOLA, one of the local ambulance chasers is sponsoring $25 off an Uber ride home.
                https://www.dudleydebosier.com/ddb-d...nye-free-ride/
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

NYE = ripoff + amateur hour drunks, especially in The FQ. There are a few good show like at The HOB and The Fillmore but no thanks! I'd rather go out any other night of the year.
                  Last edited by jjazznj; 12-21-2019, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I haven't done NYE out and about in many years or missed it. Expensive, overcrowded and full of drunks, I can get that at (fill in the blank).

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                      I haven't done NYE out and about in many years or missed it. Expensive, overcrowded and full of drunks, I can get that at (fill in the blank).
                      Jazz Fest?

Comment

My wife and I saw Rebirth for NYE last year, and it was the first time in a long time we went out for New Year's. We usually stay home for all the reasons you guys are describing, but that was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed it.

We are probably good for a few years though. It is amateur hour and a hassle to go out NYE.

I will always have fond memories of going to Aquarium Rescue Unit NYE shows at Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta back in the 90s. I lived walking distance from Variety back then, which was pretty sweet. Later on I saw some great Derek Trucks Band NYE shows at Variety. Good times!

Comment

Steel Puske? Is that an Eastern European band? Matty?

As for Foundation of Funk, it'll likely be a game time decision. It's shame we can't just burn shit in Mid-City anymore. Otherwise, I'd go to that.

Comment

Well I’m going to a show on NYE after all. We have a late dinner reservation at an incredible Mexican restaurant that we’ve been wanting to go to and just today the venue by my house announced a $15 show on New Year’s Eve. It’s a hardcore punk band (Pissed Jeans) which isn’t my thing necessarily but a cheap show on the way back to my house is my thing so we bought tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Jazz Fest?
                              I was waiting for that one. Hey, Fest is in the daylight hours, one of the reasons I love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X