Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Who, Dead and Co, Foo Fighters, Tedeschi Trucks, Avett Brothers, Lizzo, Wilco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Pick any city in America, and right now Lizzo could sell more tickets than Wilco and the Avetts combined.

I can see her playing on Acura before Shorty on second Sunday, .
    I wholeheartedly agree with the sections of your post that i've quoted above. That's one reason I am confident that neither Avetts nor Wilco will play Acura. They have both played fest before, and they have both done it at Gentilly. If you think Quint is going to have a 31 year old headline Acura you're out of your mind. Even katy perry is older than that. Sure Lizzo would bring a crowd, but would they buy beer (nope, too young) or t shirts (nope too poor) or Acuras (nope nope and double nope)?
    Edit: I feel sort of like Seymour Skinner calling all his students losers while the school PA was turned on --- "Prove me wrong kids!!!"
    Last edited by HankAndLeeStamper; 1 week ago. Reason: For fun and Simpsons reference

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I wholeheartedly agree with the sections of your post that i've quoted above. That's one reason I am confident that neither Avetts nor Wilco will play Acura. They have both played fest before, and they have both done it at Gentilly. If you think Quint is going to have a 31 year old headline Acura you're out of your mind. Even katy perry is older than that. Sure Lizzo would bring a crowd, but would they buy beer (nope, too young) or t shirts (nope too poor) or Acuras (nope nope and double nope)?
      Edit: I feel sort of like Seymour Skinner calling all his students losers while the school PA was turned on --- "Prove me wrong kids!!!"
      Hank, I don't think you actually understand anything about Lizzo's fanbase or the phenomenon she's created.

HINT: It's not all teenagers, not even close to that. If and when her name is announced, there will be scores of white women in their 30s and 40s erupting in orgasmic glee, screaming to the heavens, "I'm 100% that bitch!"

And if you don't know what that means, you don't know much about Lizzo.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Hank, I don't think you actually understand anything about Lizzo's fanbase or the phenomenon she's created.

HINT: It's not all teenagers, not even close to that. If and when her name is announced, there will be scores of white women in their 30s and 40s erupting in orgasmic glee, screaming to the heavens, "I'm 100% that bitch!"

There might even be a 70ish lady there doing it.

Comment

There is no artist my 52 year old wife would be happier to see at Jazzfest than Lizzo.

This isn't Cardi B or something, Hank. Lizzo is not just for the kids. Her fanbase is a lot more diverse than you seem to think.

I actually think Adele might be a decent comp. Every now and then a pop artist comes along that everyone likes, just because they are that good. If Jazzfest can put Katy Perry on the Acura stage, I don't see any reason Lizzo wouldn't make the cut.

I guess we'll see.....

Comment

Lizzo will bring out a very diverse crowd in terms of age, sex, race and spending power. I’m already daydreaming about the stage lineup that day. Could it be Kesha, Big Freedia and Lizzo? That would truly whip fest into 2020.

Comment

HINT: It's not all teenagers, not even close to that. If and when her name is announced, there will be scores of white women in their 30s and 40s erupting in orgasmic glee, screaming to the heavens, "I'm 100% that bitch!".

She's also got a lot of 40ish indie-rockers who saw her open for Sleater-Kinney five years ago.

For what it's worth she's the second S-K opening act to headline Jazzfest, Jack White being the other.

Comment

Well Hank, let me put it this way. If they book Lizzo and put her on any stage other than Acura, we will have a SRV at Gentilly type situation. There just isn't any other stage big enough for the crowd she is likely to draw.

I more or less agree with you on the Avetts and Wilco, so I am not taking your bet, but I think you are drastically underestimating Lizzo. Pick any city in America, and right now Lizzo could sell more tickets than Wilco and the Avetts combined.

I can see her playing on Acura before Shorty on second Sunday, so she might not be the last act on the stage, but if she's there at all she SHOULD be on the Acura stage.

Deetz on the SRV on Gentilly stage situation please.

Comment

Tuggernuts, I believe the year was 1990. Stevie Ray was on the Gentilly stage, drew an Acura-sized crowd, clusterfuck ensued. SRV was his usual awesome self, but it stands out as a signature example of Jazzfest misreading an artist's draw.

Comment

Tuggernuts, I believe the year was 1990. Stevie Ray was on the Gentilly stage, drew an Acura-sized crowd, clusterfuck ensued. SRV was his usual awesome self, but it stands out as a signature example of Jazzfest misreading an artist's draw.

If memory serves, he played opposite the Nevilles set at Acura (which of course wasn't Acura yet), so it may have been one of those cases where the Fest wanted big guns on both stages.

Comment

This climate change situation has become even worse than I had feared.

Comment

As big of a Lizzo fan though I am, I gotta agree with the idea that a substantial majority of ticket buyers for this festival will not be going to see Lizzo, no matter what day she's playing. This isn't Elton, DMB, Stevie Ray, etc. Those were all rock acts that played to both the Jazz Fest core demo and a broader demo. She is perhaps at Katy Perry's level of fandom. With $70+ tickets, you're probably not going to get a ton of people going for one artist, who live locally or who travel far just to see one act. Certainly, if you put her against Trombone Shorty, I think you risk massively overrunning Congo or Gentilly, but I think she can go up against some of these other headliners (not Avetts or Wilco, though, I agree, she's way bigger than them.)

Comment

Originally posted by brianfair View Post
                          As big of a Lizzo fan though I am, I gotta agree with the idea that a substantial majority of ticket buyers for this festival will not be going to see Lizzo, no matter what day she's playing. This isn't Elton, DMB, Stevie Ray, etc. Those were all rock acts that played to both the Jazz Fest core demo and a broader demo. She is perhaps at Katy Perry's level of fandom. With $70+ tickets, you're probably not going to get a ton of people going for one artist, who live locally or who travel far just to see one act. Certainly, if you put her against Trombone Shorty, I think you risk massively overrunning Congo or Gentilly, but I think she can go up against some of these other headliners (not Avetts or Wilco, though, I agree, she's way bigger than them.)
                          There are at least twelve stages, three of which will likely require national names as headliners. While Jazz Fest's core audience of camp chair devotees are having their minds blown by musical trailblazer Jimmy Buffett, the rest of the attendees will need to be watching something else. Those other acts' performances might not be as deep and meaningful as a massive Acura crowd chanting "Salt! Salt! Salt!" but they will need to be there.

Off the top of my head, these headliners didn't exactly appeal to the core Jazz Fest audience:

Katy Perry
                          Lorde
                          Ed Sheeran
                          Robin Thicke
                          Flo Rida
                          Lauryn Hill
                          Mystikal
                          Cage The Elephant
                          LL Cool J
                          Common

and many more.

FWIW, Lizzo's summer tour played Radio City Music Hall and cost $150+. Her two sold-out shows at The Fillmore in New Orleans were $44.50. The next time she's coming back, tickets will cost well north of $60. Seeing Lizzo at a festival with lots of other acts is a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

This climate change situation has become even worse than I had feared.
                            The forecast is cloudy with a chance of non-sequiturs.

Comment

Off the top of my head, these headliners didn't exactly appeal to the core Jazz Fest audience:

Katy Perry
                              Lorde
                              Ed Sheeran
                              Robin Thicke
                              Flo Rida
                              Lauryn Hill
                              Mystikal
                              Cage The Elephant
                              LL Cool J
                              Common

and many more.
                              True. Quint is more interested in the image of Jazzfest as one of the nations top festivals than he is about the VERY small percentage of people that resist change. Look...I loved Jazzfest more when it was smaller and there were very few BNA's. But I've gotten to see a LOT of big acts that I wouldn't have seen if they hadn't played. As many have stated before, and will state again Thursday afternoon...there's a lot of stages with a lot of music going on all day. If you don't like who's playing at one, go to another.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn View Post

There might even be a 70ish lady there doing it.
                                And a 50"ish" man...

Comment

Working...
                                X