If you could only pick one act...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigidjit View Post

At a smallish fest years ago, David Hidalgo pulled up sick and Dave Alvin filled in for him with the rest of Los Lobos. A little choppy, but those one-off shows are fun
    I'd take either one Blasters, Dave, Dave and Jimmy, The Alvin Bros.... I asked him last year why he has never played Jazz Fest with his own band and he said "They never asked me".

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

YYR!!!

We will see Molly the Saturday before JF at Old Settlers Festival in Texas.
      Maybe, just maybe in 2020.

Also agree on the Campbell Brothers!

Will also add Sue Foley for the Blues Tent. We catch her this Friday in Brenham, TX.
      I love Sue Foley. I go see her in Austin at Saxon Pub and C-Boys. Like Mr Alvin she said she has never been asked to play The Fest but would love to.

Comment

As lackluster as their last JF show was, I'm going to have to say Phish. After them, I'd say My Morning Jacket. After them, it get tougher, but probably Primus.

I'd love to see the Black Angels play the fest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Ditto with Aurora Nealand and her varied and assorted projects.
          I love most of 'em, but The Monocle? Not so much.
          I'm concerned that her Big Terminal project in this Friday's Winter Jazz Fest Brooklyn Marathon is going to make The Monocle sound like The Dukes of Dixieland.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Olu Dara did play the fest a couple of times back in the 90s when he put out those 2 great albums but he must have retired at some point as he disappeared from the scene. Just saw his son Nas the other night in Woldenberg Park for a show put on for The National Championship Game. He was still at the top of his game!
            Yup, I saw him at fest. I would just love to see him again. I know he's retired and likely Ernest Ranglin is too. Just wishful thinking.

Comment

Kemp: It rhymes with barbeque.

Probably impossible choice: The Kinks

Possible choice: Los Lobos

Comment

Since I can't see Talking Heads......TURKUAZ, JERRY HARRISON & ADRIAN BELEW

Comment

I like many of these suggestions but I carried my Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives tote bag to work today as a way of putting Marty at Fest energy out there into the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                    Tinariwen
                    YES

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Olu Dara did play the fest a couple of times back in the 90s when he put out those 2 great albums but he must have retired at some point as he disappeared from the scene. Just saw his son Nas the other night in Woldenberg Park for a show put on for The National Championship Game. He was still at the top of his game!
                      That seems about right. He's 79. Haven't really heard much of him since that couple year flurry. Loved him both times at JF, especially the first, at Congo Square, if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelBub View Post
                        Tom Waits
                        Moderator note - sorry for the delay, this was in the automated moderation queue. Welcome to the board!
                        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I think we should all be able to have one entry per day on this thread. So, woke up today dreaming that Jeff Beck would be artist-in-residence this Fest, just sitting in with 2-3 acts a day playing on a couple tunes, finishing Fest with Shorty of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Molo View Post
                            I think we should all be able to have one entry per day on this thread. So, woke up today dreaming that Jeff Beck would be artist-in-residence this Fest, just sitting in with 2-3 acts a day playing on a couple tunes, finishing Fest with Shorty of course.
                            YES

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                              I like many of these suggestions but I carried my Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives tote bag to work today as a way of putting Marty at Fest energy out there into the universe.
                              like the David Byrne show the previous year, Marty’s set at the Strawberry Music Fest was, I believe, the best live show I caught in 2019. After seeing the amount of prep that went into that production (I helped hump a LOT of that gear off their semi as part of the stage crew) it had to be good! And, standing backstage in my black jeans & black shirt, Marty just walked up with “Hey fella, how you doin’?”. “Bothering” the talent is a definite no-no, but I just asked if he knew Cowboy Phil, and knew if he was doing good as we missed him at Jazzfest that year. He shakes my hand and said that Connie had run into him a week earlier at a trade show and seemed be to be just fine. Looking forward to seeing both of those guys in 2020!

Last edited by duende; 01-15-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Last night we went to a show with G Love and Special Sauce. Shamarr Allen and his band opened for them.

I was impressed. I think the Jazzfest crowd would like G Love.

Comment

Working...
                                X