Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What local bands would you like to see reprised for Fest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What local bands would you like to see reprised for Fest?

Count me among those who don't come to Fest for the BNAs and don't quite get the idea of deciding which weekend to come, or whether to come at all, based on the BNAs.
    Putting aside the way-too-many-to-count local musicians who have played Fest and no longer are with us, what local acts would you love to see reprised at Fest? Some of these are acts that still do, on occasion, play together (albeit no longer at Fest), and some are acts that have been shelved but that you'd love to see reprised. I'll start the list:

New Orleans Bingo Show!
    Zydepunks
    Morning 40 Federation
    Quinton & Miss Pussycat
    Papa Grows Funk

Never seen them, but currently enjoying the boogaloo stylings of Los PoBoyCitos.

Anyone know if they are still active? If so, they can go on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post
      Never seen them, but currently enjoying the boogaloo stylings of Los PoBoyCitos.

Anyone know if they are still active? If so, they can go on the list.
      Good question. I've seen them at Fest and another New Orleans festival that happened during CCB&BBQ a few years ago but haven't heard about them playing around recently, and the only thing I see on the interwebs is a MySpace page. Love their sound.

As for the OP:

Royal Fingerbowl
      Iris May Tango
      All That
      Coolbone

Comment

Peabody, Coolbone, Iris May Tango

Comment

The Lindell lineup with Myles Weeks on bass, Derek Huston on sax, and Anson Funderburgh on lead Stratocaster. And, Mr. McMains on drums of course.

Comment

Los Hombres Calientes
            Continental Drifters
            The Magnificent Seven
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

While I enjoying seeing the BNA I look at the entire lineup to determine which weekend I am going to attend. If I could I would camp out in town for the full run of the festival but life, work and my wife say otherwise.

Among the locals i most look forward to every year are:

Deacon John
              james Andrews with whomever the lineup he wants to play with
              Bruce Sunpie Barnes and the Louisiana Sunspots
              Cha Wa (who I am seeing in New York City next month while there for a work trip)
              Irma Thomas
              The Zion Harmonizers
              Big Chief Juan Pardo
              Mitch Woods
              Jon Cleary
              And ........
              Last edited by jpstacy2001; 01-16-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Good call on Los Hombres Calientes. I really enjoyed every show I saw of theirs. They almost stole the show from Santana opening for them at a night show at Louis Armstrong in the 90s.

Almost, because that was hands down the best Santana show I ever saw.

Comment

Another vote for All That and Royal Fingerbowl. Theresa Andersson is another MIA.

Comment

007. Alex McMurray and friends reggae type band that played Jazzfest a LONG time ago. It was fun.

Comment

The one band from anywhere that I'm dying to see again is 007. They were killing it at Fest for the first couple of years that I went. Then they got an opening slot on Gentilly, and after drawing a miniscule crowd, they were never booked again.

That's why I'm praying G. Love is on the bill because if he is, drummer Jeffrey Clemens will be in town, and I'll feel optimistic that we'll at least get a night show, but there's nothing like seeing them on a nice day at Lagniappe or Jazz & Heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post
                        007. Alex McMurray and friends reggae type band that played Jazzfest a LONG time ago. It was fun.
                        Damn. We were both writing that at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Damn. We were both writing that at the same time.
                          I'm closer to New Orleans...My post went through faster. That's wild though....good idea!

Comment

007 reprised just a few months ago at dba, so I'd say definitely possible.
                            https://www.jonathanfreilich.com/fro...-pensacola-fla
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I would assume that George Porter is cooking up some kind of All-Star Funk lineup to celebrate and pay tribute to the life and music of his friend and musical brother Art Neville, which would be something that anyone who loves the Crescent City would not want to miss...

Comment

Working...
                              X