Line Up is Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

WYCLIFFE GORDON - traditional jazz trombonist, has logged a good amount of time with Jazz at Lincoln Center and has played with a number of smaller combos in NYC. I'm kind of surprised you haven't seen him yet.

DOTTIE PEOPLES - gospel singer who has done some collaboration with Widespread Panic, but don't hold that against her

ANTHONY HAMILTON - modern R&B singer who has played Fest before, he has a couple of killer songs on the American Gangster soundtrack which unfortunately do not appear to be indicative of his typical sound

JEREMY DAVENPORT - very accessible New Orleans trumpeter/singer who plays a slightly more modern jazz versions of classics while never really going out there, there's a bit of Sinatra to his sound, he has skills but doesn't seem to want to challenge the audience

TONYA BOYD-CANNON - R&B singer from New Orleans who was on The Voice

H.E.R. - newish R&B thing that is somewhat popular with people who HankandLeeStamper believes are too young to drink beer; I listened to an album today and found it be a bit too mellow

JAMES MARTIN BAND - Trombone Shorty's former sax player (I think he's former), plays in Soul Brass Band, his group has more of a modern funk/R&B sound...I think you'd like them

RICKY SKAGGS & KENTUCKY THUNDER - kickass Bluegrass picker and singer, should be fantastic

ESTHER ROSE - She deserves more than being called Luke Winslow-King's ex, but that should give you an idea of her alt-country sound, which has really come into her own. She is right up your alley, and you should listen to her album, You Made It This Far.
    Esther Rose was on stage with Jack White when he played The Fest 2 years ago. Great local singer.

HER is cool but very mellow and everything sounds the same after a few tunes. Decent singer though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stella Blue View Post

Totally agree. "Nicholas Payton 2020" grabbed my attention as well. Bring it. You never know what he is devising up next. I'm sure this set will be amazing!
      Along with Christian Scott my 2 favorite living musicians from this city. Nic never sits still musically and besides being one of the world's best trumpet players he is in my opinion now one of the best keyboard players here and not a bad bass player and drummer! A must see set!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        And a ton I don't know/remember much about:
        • WILLIAM PRINCE
        • OF MONSTERS AND MEN
        • THE BRUBECK CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION WITH THE BRUBECK BROTHERS QUARTET, BOBBY MILLITELLO AND JOEY DEFRANCESCO
        • MOLLY TUTTLE
        • JENNY LEWIS
        William Prince - if it is the one I know, he is a First Nations Canadian folk musician from Winnipeg. Very fine guitarist and singer.

Of Monsters and Men are an Icelandic group, with a unique pop-folky kind of sound. I have never seen them live.

Re: Brubeck celebration - I am familiar with Joey Defrancesco, but mostly as a killer Hammond B3 player. Not sure that's what he'd be doing in this set.

Molly Tuttle is a young country?-folk performer out of Nashville. I am really looking forward to seeing her. Killer guitar player. Interesting side-note - she has alopecia and is bald - she usually wears a wig but more recently has been letting the bald head show.

Jenny Lewis was formerly with Rilo KIley. I like her a lot - sort of alternative folk-rock kind of stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lollygagger View Post
          Overall, which weekend seems stronger? Realize it depends on individual tastes and preferences...
          The one you're going to attend. Unless, of course, you're a Both Weekend JazzFester. In which case, it doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
            Lone Wolf, tell us what kind of music or bands you like and we can recommend based on that. Also are you a jazzfest virgin because my advice will be completely different if that's the case? Ask all the questions you want.
            It will be my second time. I was there for strictly Pearl Jam back in 2016, and didn't get a chance to explore.

Besides BNAs, if i had to guess, I'd probably enjoy the Blues Tent. Most blues. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (A Ass Pocket Full of Whisky), RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, Black Pistol Fire, Black Keys etc. Laid back blues, but also something to get the blood flowing.

But I'll be sure to make the rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

She is one of the most talented musicians that played around this city on a regular basis in multiple bands. A snub for sure!
              She is playing twice at the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee, in March. Smarter than Jazz Fest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renee View Post

MAYBE A RELATION TO SONJA JOBARTEH?? IF SO, I BET THEY ARE WONDERFUL !!
                I have investigated JALI BAKARY KONTEH on youtube a bit--a simply awesome kora player.

Comment

• Originally posted by kyfester View Post

The one you're going to attend. Unless, of course, you're a Both Weekend JazzFester. In which case, it doesn't matter.
                  Thank you. I guess I know that. I am sort of set for first weekend (have lodging, which can be canceled), no airfare yet, no tix, and I will probably stick with it, arriving early enough to catch perhaps the last 2 days of FQF, and then hang around Nola for a few days before JF. One year I did first weekend, and then flew back for most of second weekend (I think that was 2003). There's a lot I like first weekend, a lot I like 2nd weekend....You'll always miss something.
                  Last edited by Lollygagger; 01-17-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

H.E.R. - newish R&B thing that is somewhat popular with people who HankandLeeStamper believes are too young to drink beer; I listened to an album today and found it be a bit too mellow
                    Somebody points out an act you like is generally favored by people 30 years younger than you and you can't quite seem to get past it. But whatever, enjoy yourself, I think i need a couple of years break from internet posting anyway. Bye all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lollygagger View Post

Thank you. I guess I know that. I am sort of set for first weekend (have lodging, which can be canceled), no airfare yet, no tix, and I will probably stick with it, arriving early enough to catch perhaps the last 2 days of FQF, and then hang around Nola for a few days before JF. One year I did first weekend, and then flew back for most of second weekend (I think that was 2003). There's a lot I like first weekend, a lot I like 2nd weekend....You'll always miss something.
                      "You'll always miss something." Which is one of the reasons we keep coming back. And I'm reminded of a story I'm sure I've mentioned here before. About realizing at dinner after a day at the Fest that I'd missed Ray Charles because I was entranced at another stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Somebody points out an act you like is generally favored by people 30 years younger than you and you can't quite seem to get past it. But whatever, enjoy yourself, I think i need a couple of years break from internet posting anyway. Bye all.
                        Please don't leave the board, HLS. You, kh1958, firstimer and others have breathed new life into this old board over the past few years. Groovy is a nice dude, but like me....comes off a little salty on this forum. The irony is, on the 'Welcome Home Facebook Threadheads' thread, he admits to staying away because of the very thing he's guilty of. Smart guy though and I'm sure a well worded retort is forthcoming.

Comment

• I don't want to jinx it.....but where is Luke/fake Quint ? It's been a nice break, but he must be dead or in jail to miss out on all this debating. I'm hoping it's jail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                            I don't want to jinx it.....but where is Luke/fake Quint ? It's been a nice break, but he must be dead or in jail to miss out on all this debating. I'm hoping it's jail.
                            Maybe he moved to Facebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

HankAndLeeStamper was Brian O'Canada all along??
                              (zombies really did get him in the cemetery that night ... )

Comment

• Originally posted by carlindj View Post

HankAndLeeStamper was Brian O'Canada all along??
                                (zombies really did get him in the cemetery that night ... )
                                Someone needs to find that Thread ( Lit ? ). A classic that must make it's seasonal return for the newbies.

Comment

Working...
                                X