• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Festival Map yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesthinker 72 View Post
      Top End is OK...middle of the lineups are strong. Great Jazz
      Agreed. A few great jazz artists playing like Mr Scofield although once again no Christian Scott? He is by far the hottest local jazz artist by a mile. I think a lot of us were hoping for Neil or Bruce or TTB as headliners. I do not see a single headliner that really interests me or that I haven't seen before. Some decent acts though further down. Glad they gave John Prine and Jimmy Cliff another shot. And Hurray For The Riff Raff are also back. Hopefully some hidden gems that I am not familiar with are in there because this is the weakest lineup yet stretched out over 8 days. This may be the year I skip the first weekend for a change and hit The Festival International de Louisiane in Lafayette.
      Last edited by jjazznj; 01-16-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post
        Strongest Congo line up, maybe ever.
        it does indeed appear that way...

unable to recall closin' an openin' day at congo,..

but the weak lineup equates to a dance party with nile rodgers and chic...

how in the world did barefooted cutie pie maggie rogers land the 2nd spot at fest?? hippie garb ahoy!!!

edit... 1st time that two closin' sets share the same name?? (aside from the local royal families) o.k.,. rodgers is not rogers,.. but close enuff...

Last edited by PaulC; 01-16-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

No Aurora Nealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf32 View Post
            I don't see Wilco. Liars.
            Haha! You can't always get what you want......

Comment

Geez, bored logged me off for the first time in months and I had trouble finding pword.
              Great lineup! Let's start next week! FOMS galore to come no doubt, and can't stage-hop so well these days (track shuttle, pleeeze), but bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

I'm excited, too, I'm wondering though if everyone who thinks that this will be a flat-pickin' hootenany has seen Molly's band in the last year, or so. She has a lot to be proud of, but the confused looks on folks at the Strawberry Music Fest last year made me wonder how current their Spotify lists were.
                Billy Strings is in Memphis 2nd Saturday. So no guess appearance with Molly. But if Molly is in town Friday night then she could join Billy at the Civic Theatre.

Comment

As a zydeco lover, once again I'm underwhelmed for sure. The same zydeco bands year after year after year. Whoever books zydeco has no imagination whatsoever. It's not that I don't like those who are booked, it's that I'd like to see some variety for a change. There are plenty of good zydeco bands that have never played Jazz Fest, particularly from Texas. As for the rest of the line up, most of the big names you'd have to pay me to go see. I saw a couple of acts that I've never seen, like Robert Finley and Kool & the Gang, but many others I have. So I'm on the fence where or not I'll go this year. If I don't, my string of 30 years in a row will be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post
                    No Aurora Nealand.
                    She is in the Spencer Bohren tribute, but not elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn View Post

She is in the Spencer Bohren tribute, but not elsewhere.
                      She is one of the most talented musicians that played around this city on a regular basis in multiple bands. A snub for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluesdoctor View Post
                        As a zydeco lover, once again I'm underwhelmed for sure. The same zydeco bands year after year after year. Whoever books zydeco has no imagination whatsoever. It's not that I don't like those who are booked, it's that I'd like to see some variety for a change. There are plenty of good zydeco bands that have never played Jazz Fest, particularly from Texas. As for the rest of the line up, most of the big names you'd have to pay me to go see. I saw a couple of acts that I've never seen, like Robert Finley and Kool & the Gang, but many others I have. So I'm on the fence where or not I'll go this year. If I don't, my string of 30 years in a row will be broken.
                        I say the same thing about blues and roots music from Texas. They are right next door! Yet they hardly ever book any of it.

Comment

Nice to see the geriatric "Glass Is Always Half-Empty" brigade out in force as per usual...

Comment

I'm liking 2nd Thursday offerings. Black Crowes, Jimmy Cliff, War and Treaty, Jimmy Hall. My luck they will all play at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
                              Nice to see the geriatric brigade out in force as per usual...

Comment

[QUOTE=fichadelphia;n845839]Second Friday is nuts! Wu-Tang Clan featuring the Soul Rebels will be a cool headliner however so many of my favorite local artists as well: Eric Lindell, Johnny Sketch (party band), Stanton, The Iguanas, Charlie Gabriel, Herlin Riley, Palmetto Bug Stompers, Washboard Chaz, Charlie Halloran, Panorama Jazz Band etc.

THIS!

Comment

Working...
                                X