Middle of the lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle of the lineup

I always like when folks point out some of the finds in the middle of the lineup. What are some of the names you are looking forward to that others might not be so familiar with? I know we were discussing this in other thread but I wanted to create a new home for this stuff.

If you liked Mdou Moctar you'll want to check out les filles de illighadad as they are an almost entirely female Touareg band. "Ghali taught herself to play on her brother's guitar. While women did perform music among her people, they didn't play guitar; rather, they played a style of music called tende, centered on a drum made with mortar and pestles, a style that influenced Tuareg guitar playing but isn't generally part of the music played by Tuareg men. Les Filles de Illighadad incorporate tende with guitar playing, "asserting the power of women to innovate using the roots of traditional Tuareg music".[2] Ghali usually plays with her cousin, Alamnou Akrouni". I heard them live in October and I think they'll respond well to the enthusiastic jazz fest crowd. Hopefully they will be in the cultural exchange pavillion as they seem to really benefit from an energized crowd.

I'm also enjoying this Sabra & The Get Rights album- nice dreamy country music.

Also Ever More Nest are lovely- it is Kelcy Mae, a local singer songwriter with a band playing really lovely Americana. Really lovely songwriting and Will Kimbrough is on the album- I wonder if he's in the band?

And for the viewer who likes hip hop I think PELL is super fun. He opened for Tank & the Bangas in Philly and he was the highlight of the night for me.

And if you didn't know that you love Low Cut Connie, well just trust me, you do. Philly represent.
    Last edited by fichadelphia; 01-18-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

There is usually one older artist that absolutely surprises me with how great their show is. Tom Jones and Herb Albert in the last couple years. I can’t figure out who that will be this year

Comment

Great thread, and I'm adding les filles to my list. I'm just starting my research around the middle, but am already looking forward to Ever More Nest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ3ExhPqiWw and Las Cafeteras.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I am a HUGE Tinariwen fan so I hope to catch these women.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...areg-guitarist

Comment

Roadside Glorious caught my ear as did Ever More Nest. Norah Jones sneaking in a second day under her collaboration Puss n Boots is another.and seeing Shinyribs may have been one of my favorite musical moments outside Fest in 2019.

Comment

Eden Brent on second Saturday. Excellent piano player...boogie woogie, blues and jazz. And Aretha Franklin type vocals. Unfortunately she'll be in the Blues Tent

Comment

Originally posted by zzupschuck View Post
                Eden Brent on second Saturday. Excellent piano player...boogie woogie, blues and jazz. And Aretha Franklin type vocals. Unfortunately she'll be in the Blues Tent
                Very lovely- great catch!

Comment

Lulu and the Broadsides were a blast at CC Blues &BBQ. I think they played Laniappe last year; hoping they make the infield this time...FDD or J&H maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                    Lulu and the Broadsides were a blast at CC Blues &BBQ. I think they played Laniappe last year; hoping they make the infield this time...FDD or J&H maybe.
                    Yes, they sure did blow up the Lagniappe last year!

Comment

I am starting to investigate some middle-of-the-pack artists that are new to me or that I don't know well. So far I am impressed by Ranky Tanky, Shiny Ribs, Leyla McCalla (from Carolina Chocolate Drops) and Water Seed (who I did see a brief set from on Frenchman a few years back)

I have only looked at second Thursday, so far. LOL

Comment

I did not immediately notice the Latin jazz trumpeter Charlie Sepulveda & The Turnaround in the line-up. A little investigation and I cannot wait to hear the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9IHWJ6XpM

Comment

Originally posted by saturn View Post
                          I am starting to investigate some middle-of-the-pack artists that are new to me or that I don't know well. So far I am impressed by Ranky Tanky, Shiny Ribs, Leyla McCalla (from Carolina Chocolate Drops) and Water Seed (who I did see a brief set from on Frenchman a few years back)

I have only looked at second Thursday, so far. LOL
                          Leyla McCalla is one of my favorite local artists. Her shows at last years fest and the one she did in Oct at The Music Box when she played her entire "Capitalist Blues" album were two of my highlights from last year.

Comment

I'm including some that are better known by NOLA regulars but might fly under the radar for newbies.
                            Thursday
                            Las Cafeteras
                            Virginia aires - gospel
                            Charley Crockett -country
                            Pocket Aces Brass -
                            Fi Yi Yi Mandingo Warriors - always put on a good show
                            Alexey Marti - congas

Friday
                            Ty Morris and the HOW - energetic gospel
                            Sabra and the Get Rights - country
                            L.Y.O.N -
                            Midnite disturbers - allstar brass + Stanton Moore and Kevin ODay on drums
                            Alex McMurray - singer songwriter
                            Flow Tribe - groovy funk

Comment

I would second the recommendation of Ranky Tanky. Hadn't heard of them 2 months ago when Oxford American featured them as part of their music of South Carolina edition and included one of their songs on the sampler CD that accompanies the magazine. (Well worth checking out). I have listened to them almost every day since and can't wait to see them live.

And their story is pretty interesting, too, as musicians who are amplifying the history and traditions of the Gullah culture native to the coastal regions of South Carolina and Georgia.

Comment

Working...
                              X