First Time Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Lets just charter our own boat and hire some bands. Bring all the booze and weed we want !!
    A floating Patry!

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Lets just charter our own boat and hire some bands. Bring all the booze and weed we want !!
      I would be up for that.

Perhaps Paul C could be Skipper?

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

I would be up for that.

Perhaps Paul C could be Skipper?
        Does the term “Gilligan's Island” mean anything to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
          Ahoy! Yes, we are back from The Keys and Jamaica. Thanks for the concern. Regarding my delay in posting, I have been advised to say, "We are very fortunate to live in a country where our customs officials take their job so seriously and do it so well." The cruise was a blast, smooth sailing from day one. My much better half was very worried about sea sickness, but suffered nary a bit. Our ship's quarters were about the size of a walk in closet, and most of the food tasted like cardboard with pepper on it, but there was plenty of it. The beer was as expensive as Jazz Fest and that deterred me from consuming it about as much as it does at Fest. I can't believe that this was my first trip to The Keys because it's my kind of place. Yes, a bit touristy, like New Orleans, but, also, like NOLA, it has a lot of soul. I want to live in Hemingway's house. We spent one day on Blue Water Beach in Falmouth, Jamaica in eighty breezy degree weather staring into Caribbean waters, eating fresh fish and lobster and consuming copious Red Stripes. Down the beach a bit an enterprising young man played Marley music and sold something called "Jamaican souvenirs" or so I am told. But this trip was about the music, and that was fantastic. The Mavericks did their usual lively and crowd pleasing performance with excellent vocals and musicianship and no surprises. Lucinda Williams began her set with a shit eating grin telling the crowd, "If I seem like I'm pissed off, it's because I am" then proceeded to give a solid show. With Buick Six behind her, it's hard to go wrong. Steve Earle was Steve Earle, which is good. An 83 year old Kris Kristofferson was a standout. His near feebleness that has weakened his croaky voice even more only made his performance better. That man is one of the greatest country songwriters ever. He ended his set with "Please don't tell me how the story ends", and few eyes were dry, mine included. Ray Wylie Hubbard was a surprise. I've never liked his music on the radio, but live, it grabbed me. Plus he's funnier than any current late night comedian. Larry Campbell (who roomed across the hall) can flat play a damn telecaster. The Waco Brothers with John Langford of The Mekons and Lee Scratch Perry brought a touch of welcome punk and reggae amidst all the abundant Americana. Mojo Nixon was Mojo Nixon, which is good. Robbie Fulks can play about anything and gave an impromptu acoustic performance with his fiddle player and Terry Anderson of The Yahoos between the stairs and the elevator on the ninth deck. Two bands got me on that boat, The Yahoos and NRBQ. Neither disappointed. For those who don't know, The Yahoos are something of an under the radar supergroup that includes Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites, Homemade Sin) who announced pre cruise that he was retiring from touring after these shows. If that is true, his last performance was singing lead with NRBQ on "When Things Was Cheap" during the last set of the whole floating shindig. Afterwards on his Facebook page, Dan Baird posted that he had his doubts that there could be an NRBQ without so many of its beloved "classic members". He said they not only proved that there in fact is such a Q, but also hugged and thanked every one of them after the show for making him believe in the power of music again. There was more folks, much more, but damned if I'm sitting inside and posting on a beautiful fake spring day like this one.
          Sounds like a fine time was had by all.

Thanks for the report.

I must say that judging from the new avatar that you seem to resemble Gilligan more than Captain Blood.

Which is a unfortunate as you have always come across as more of an Errol Flynn type than a Bob Denver

Comment

Sounds like a fine time was had by all.

Thanks for the report.

I must say that judging from the new avatar that you seem to resemble Gilligan more than Captain Blood.

Which is a unfortunate as you have always come across as more of an Errol Flynn type than a Bob Denver
            "Acting!"

Comment

Plus 1
              Plus 3. Jam cruise is what my dreams are made of. Just need a roomie who wants to share a balcony room.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

Plus 3. Jam cruise is what my dreams are made of. Just need a roomie who wants to share a balcony room.
                I think it’s time for y’all to sign on to that Jam Cruise pre-book. You’ll have a great time.

Comment

Working...
                X