Oyster Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyster Update

Can any of you locals or recent visitors to New Orleans who happen to love fresh oysters like I do give me any information on prices and availability? I don't typically care for or visit Acme so no need for telling me about them but what about other venues? The disastrous water damage to the Oyster beds was page one news for awhile. I read where many revered Thanksgiving culinary traditions had to be either altered or done away with completely. This is serious stuff!

fairly recent article update. it's not good

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...or-oyster-bars

Comment

For a while, oysters were scarce, but seem to be plentiful now. Not sure the price, but evrywhere I have been the past two weeks had oysters.

Comment

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm a bigger fan of the farm raised Alabama oysters than I am Louisiana Oysters. Peche and Borgne should have the Alabama oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjoseph View Post
          I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm a bigger fan of the farm raised Alabama oysters than I am Louisiana Oysters. Peche and Borgne should have the Alabama oysters.
          Even those are a bit scarce these days. We usually serve Murder Points but they are either too expensive or just not available. Right now we have "Southern Pearls" from Mississippi.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Even those are a bit scarce these days. We usually serve Murder Points but they are either too expensive or just not available. Right now we have "Southern Pearls" from Mississippi.
            I love murder point!
            Here we get Irish points which are very tasty.

Comment

You're taste buds are so sophisticated that you can probably do a "blind tasting" and tell the differences in Mountain Oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

You're taste buds are so sophisticated that you can probably do a "blind tasting" and tell the differences in Mountain Oysters.
                Well, I could tell if I'm eating an oyster or not. That's about the limits of my sophistication.

Comment

Those are fantastic, but I think there's room for all oysters. Sometimes, I want a fancy dry-aged burger, and other times I want a good ol' fashioned greasy burger. The same is true with the more expensive Alabama farm raised oysters and the cheap Gulf oysters. They're all good.

Comment

It's true, all oysters are good. In New Orleans I go for the gulf oysters, fried or grilled, it's decadent like pate and I love it. During fest I'll try to hit the grandstand at some pont for the raw oysters, but usually for raw I like the smaller ones.

Comment

Agree, all oysters are good, but after living in Virginia for years, for my tastes the Chesapeake Bay and Rappahhannock are sometimes like individual juicy steaks. But I hope their Gulf cousins get better soon.

Comment

We’re “lucky” living in Northern California and with local oysters seemingly doing well, but Hog Island oysters run $36 to $40 (Kumamoto’s which are soooo sweet) a dozen at their namesake bars at the Ferry Bldg in SF and at the Oxbow in Napa. You could drive to Marshall to buy’em direct much more affordably, but that’s a two-hour drive. I hope the gulf beds recover soon.

Comment

pretty good article from a few years back on how greed and poor farming methods hurt the process

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2017/...ruction_d.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                            Agree, all oysters are good, but after living in Virginia for years, for my tastes the Chesapeake Bay and Rappahhannock are sometimes like individual juicy steaks. But I hope their Gulf cousins get better soon.
                            I like the Rappahanocks too but I think my favorites are further north (Cape Cod especially). Wellfleet Oyster Fest is a great time in October.

Comment

Originally posted by Molo View Post

I like the Rappahanocks too but I think my favorites are further north (Cape Cod especially). Wellfleet Oyster Fest is a great time in October.
                              And my favorites are further north still...Northern Maine and the Maritimes (especially PEI and Nova Scotia).

Comment

Working...
                              X