X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute Sets

As a second weekender I am looking forward to these tribute sets:

The Pfister Sisters’ Tribute to The Andrews Sisters
    Tribute to Dr. John with special guests Irma Thomas, Jon Cleary, Ivan Neville, Davell Crawford, Deacon John, and John “Papa” Gros with the Dr. John All-Star Alumni Band
    Davell Crawford plays James Booker (sort of a tribute, I guess)

There are several others that look interesting.

What tribute sets are others looking forward to?

Remembering Spencer Bohren is the one I’m most looking forward to as his set with the Whippersnappers was my favorite of last year’s fest.

Comment

Oooweee, there are going to be some good ones. Second weekend: always Davell. Khari Allen Lee's Grover Washington Jr. tribute, Dr. John, Art Neville.
      First Weekend: Tributes to Jelly Roll Morton, Allen Touissant, and Al Grey.

Comment

Jamil Sharif tribute to Jabbo Smith

Comment

I'm looking forward to my Thursday 11am tribute to Crawfish Strudel

Comment

Ah thanks for reminding me of the Khari Lee Allen Grover Washington Jr tribute. It’s sort of buried in the lineup.

Comment

Art Neville Tribute, for sure !! Aaron, what's left of the Meters and Neville Brothers. Should be a good one.

Comment

[QUOTE=saturn;n846968]As a second weekender I am looking forward to these tribute sets:

The Pfister Sisters’ Tribute to The Andrews Sisters
                Tribute to Dr. John with special guests Irma Thomas, Jon Cleary, Ivan Neville, Davell Crawford, Deacon John, and John “Papa” Gros with the Dr. John All-Star Alumni Band
                Davell Crawford plays James Booker (sort of a tribute, I guess)

There are several others that look interesting.

What tribute sets are others looking forward to?[/QUOTE

Thanks to this forum I (fairly) recently discovered and now love James Booker. I know Booker was unique and is probably tough to emulate. Any thoughts on Davell Crawford's "tribute" to Booker? I assume the performance will be in a tent: Blues or Jazz?

Comment

Definitely the Spencer Bohren tribute. Also looking forward to the Art Neville, Allen Toussaint, and Dr. John tributes as well. A lot of good stuff!

Comment

Looks like a lot of good ones! On first Saturday we get Dirty Dozen's tribute to Dave Bartholomew with Elvis C. & Jon Cleary, Tribute to Bessie Smith with Meschiya Lake etc., and Tribute to Lil Buck with Sonny Landreth, CC Adcok & more. That first Saturday is jam packed with shows I want to see. I'm kind of dreading the cubes.

Comment

I have literally been looking forward to the Dr. John and Art Neville tributes since those two gentlemen passed away. My whole day second Saturday and Sunday is going to revolve around those two sets.

It makes my head spin thinking about how you pick the setlist for those shows. How do you fit all the great Dr. John or Art Neville songs into 1 set? Trick question--you can't.

Comment

Well, if it works like the tribute to Fats and Dave last year, you start off with a twelve minute version of "The Monkey Speaks His Mind," with the DDBB repeatedly encouraging the audience to yell "YEAHHHH..." :-)

Comment

Ok, here is a rough draft of what we might hear at the Art Neville tribute. Just something to start the conversation, feel free to chime in with edits or suggestions or tell me I am an idiot because I forgot your favorite song..

Indian Red
                          Mardi Gras Mambo
                          Iko Iko
                          Ride Your Pony
                          Cissy Strut
                          Look-Ka Py Py
                          Big Chief
                          Hey Pocky Way
                          People Say
                          Fiyo On The Bayou
                          Mojo Hannah
                          Congo Square
                          Yellow Moon
                          Ain't No Use
                          Down By The Riverside

I told you this was impossible. That is probably too much, and so many great songs left out.

Comment

Last year Aaron sang All These Things during the Toussaint tribute and had a lot of us in tears, including people on stage. I would imagine they would do that again in the tribute to Poppa Funk.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonDavid View Post
                              Thanks to this forum I (fairly) recently discovered and now love James Booker. I know Booker was unique and is probably tough to emulate. Any thoughts on Davell Crawford's "tribute" to Booker?
                              If you're asking whether or not Davell Crawford is a skilled enough pianist, vocalist, and character to adequately pay tribute to James Booker, the answer is yes.

Originally posted by BostonDavid View Post
                              I assume the performance will be in a tent: Blues or Jazz?
                              Most likely yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X