Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
    So how will they get recharged?
    That is the big question. And can you still use one if the battery is dead? If not you will see a bike but you will not be able to use it?

Also when exactly are they going to expand the zone? I got charged $10 yesterday for leaving the zone and parking the bike at Kin, 6 minutes from my house. What's the use of having a pedal assisted bike if you cannot go very far? And having to pay more money for what?

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind but this city is almost totally flat, just do not see the point of changing something that was working well enough and also raising the prices to boot. I would have just preferred they keep the regular bikes and expand into Uptown and Gentilly.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

That is the big question. And can you still use one if the battery is dead? If not you will see a bike but you will not be able to use it?

Also when exactly are they going to expand the zone? I got charged $10 yesterday for leaving the zone and parking the bike at Kin, 6 minutes from my house. What's the use of having a pedal assisted bike if you cannot go very far? And having to pay more money for what?

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind but this city is almost totally flat, just do not see the point of changing something that was working well enough and also raising the prices to boot. I would have just preferred they keep the regular bikes and expand into Uptown and Gentilly.
      also raising the prices to boot
      I think I have pinpointed the problem.

Comment

Also when exactly are they going to expand the zone? I got charged $10 yesterday for leaving the zone and parking the bike at Kin, 6 minutes from my house.
        At current pricing (0.10/minute), for relatively short trips outside the zone, you're better off not locking the bike, or keeping it on hold. If your meal takes 45 minutes, that'd cost $4.50, less than half the out-of-zone fee. Anything up to 100 minutes, this saves. With the new pricing though, if the out-of-zone fee stays at $10, then at 0.25/minute the tipping point drops to just 40 minutes.

When I asked about the zone expansion, they said it was an issue of staffing. With the hybrid system that allows locking bikes even outside the docks, Blue Bike staff regularly drive around picking up out-of-hub bikes and drive them back to hubs. A larger geography (along with the 20% increase in number of bikes) means that takes longer, so they'll have to staff up to support it.
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
          Thanks for the information.

But due to the fact that I do not have the Uber app on my phone and most likely never will have it, due to my intense dislike for them and there extremely dubious business dealings all around the world.
          I will not be able to use the blue bikes, luckily there are other options
          For once I agree with Gards... So people without a smart phone can't use the bikes either?
          More forced consumerism

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

At current pricing (0.10/minute), for relatively short trips outside the zone, you're better off not locking the bike, or keeping it on hold. If your meal takes 45 minutes, that'd cost $4.50, less than half the out-of-zone fee. Anything up to 100 minutes, this saves. With the new pricing though, if the out-of-zone fee stays at $10, then at 0.25/minute the tipping point drops to just 40 minutes.

When I asked about the zone expansion, they said it was an issue of staffing. With the hybrid system that allows locking bikes even outside the docks, Blue Bike staff regularly drive around picking up out-of-hub bikes and drive them back to hubs. A larger geography (along with the 20% increase in number of bikes) means that takes longer, so they'll have to staff up to support it.
            Yeah it kind of sucks keeping the meter running while eating. I did not even think about being out of the zone as I was still close to home.

As for expanding the zone, I figured it had to do with staffing. And these new bikes will need battery charging I would assume which they would need even more staffing for.

Comment

Bicycles are just not that expensive. Walmart is a prime example. As someone mentioned New Orleans is relatively flat. Why do not people just buy a bike of their own?

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                Bicycles are just not that expensive. Walmart is a prime example. As someone mentioned New Orleans is relatively flat. Why do not people just buy a bike of their own?
                Tourists are not going to buy a bike plus I use one if I'm going downtown but do not want to bike back. Some people have no place to store a bike or are tired of having their bike stolen.

Comment

Tourists are not going to buy a bike plus I use one if I'm going downtown but do not want to bike back. Some people have no place to store a bike or are tired of having their bike stolen.
                  How does Blue Bike address the theft issue ?

incidently, I know that you are pulling my leg, because Mr. mgregg has chastised me repeatedly over the years for even suggesting that there is any crime in New Orleans. He is adamant that there is not. He gets out regularly. So he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

How does Blue Bike address the theft issue ?

incidently, I know that you are pulling my leg, because Mr. mgregg has chastised me repeatedly over the years for even suggesting that there is any crime in New Orleans. He is adamant that there is not. He gets out regularly. So he knows.
                    No one would steal a blue bike as they are junk and traceable.

A for crime, someone robbed my bike last week by using a crowbar to take off a piece of my stairway that it was locked to.

Comment

The e-bikes come on line tomorrow (Thursday).

The Jump app works now, though there aren't yet bikes around town. But it shows the service area, and it has been expanded some. Uptown, the old service area boundaries were Simon Bolivar and Louisiana. The new service area reaches in to Jeff Davis, and extends uptown as far as Nashville. New neighborhoods include Broadmoor, Freret, Touro, and E/W Riverside. Clubs now in the zome include Gasa Gasa and Tipitinas.

I still expect a further expansion later this year.

Comment

The e-bikes come on line tomorrow (Thursday).

The Jump app works now, though there aren't yet bikes around town. But it shows the service area, and it has been expanded some. Uptown, the old service area boundaries were Simon Bolivar and Louisiana. The new service area reaches in to Jeff Davis, and extends uptown as far as Nashville. New neighborhoods include Broadmoor, Freret, Touro, and E/W Riverside. Clubs now in the zome include Gasa Gasa and Tipitinas.

I still expect a further expansion later this year.
                        super helpful, thanks for keeping us posted on this. Looks like I should still be able to grab a bike near my fest home by Tips.

Comment

Besides the price which will be 2 1/2 times higher some people are not happy about there no longer being a $1 credit for returning the bike to a hub meaning there will be more bikes left all over the place. If you have ever been to Austin there are scooters just left wherever all over the Downtown area.

Comment

Besides the price which will be 2 1/2 times higher some people are not happy about there no longer being a $1 credit for returning the bike to a hub meaning there will be more bikes left all over the place. If you have ever been to Austin there are scooters just left wherever all over the Downtown area.
                            Personally, I like it when there are bikes all over the place. Where I live now I'm exactly halfway between two hubs, close t a half mile walk to either one. So I love it when I can find an out-of-hub bike within a block or two. Also in the FQ - there are almost no hubs inside the Quarter, so grabbing a nearby bike saves several blocks there too.

The company will still be bringing bikes back to hubs, so it won't get too out of control, I think.

Comment

Swag, now that you live in NOLA why do you still use the blue bikes? I would think having your own bike would be cheaper and more convenient.

Comment

Personally, I like it when there are bikes all over the place. Where I live now I'm exactly halfway between two hubs, close t a half mile walk to either one. So I love it when I can find an out-of-hub bike within a block or two. Also in the FQ - there are almost no hubs inside the Quarter, so grabbing a nearby bike saves several blocks there too.

The company will still be bringing bikes back to hubs, so it won't get too out of control, I think.
                                I think it's one of those things that if you ride them you like it and if you don't you don't want to see them in front of your house. I'm fairly close to the hub over by the Greenway but many times there will be a bike right outside which is convenient.

The new pricing would make me want to get to where I'm going and get off the bike asap as it will be 2 1/2 times more expensive (.10 vs .25 per min)which adds up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X