No announcement yet.

Andrew Duhon's band robbed - for Valentine's day I'm buying some of his merch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Duhon's band robbed - for Valentine's day I'm buying some of his merch

Andrew didn't ask me to post this, but I thought many of you would be interested.

"We are officially among that noble, wounded lot of musicians who's gear was lifted on the main streets of the big city.. In broad daylight, busy block, during a 30 minute lunch no less! Honestly, friends: We made out pretty damn OK. Two of my guitars are gone BUT neither is irreplaceable AND I have instrument insurance. Allow me to mention for our own pride that we don't mess around with this shit. We take our gear inside every night, don't park in unattended areas, but turns out, these smash n' grabbers are hardy bastards. Main bummer is that Myles and Jim both had their backpacks swiped. So a laptop, iPad, and all manner of band fashion and sundries are off to the black market. I'll cook up some sort of show to make the fellas whole again.

All in all, I'm truly grateful:
    • To Daniel Walker and Ben Allemen for letting me know about Music Pro Insurance THANK YOU DUDES.
    • For a free day before next show to find a new guitar and some underwear
    • To Blind Pilot, Glen Philips, Joel Taylor and Lobero Theater for being super helpful in finding guitar options for tomorrow
    • To not have lost more irreplaceable items like upright bass, cymbals, etc
    • For a great show in LA and a fitting last ride to those two majestic stringed compadres. Though you are both now cursed to live a life of crime and stolen goods, may you both rock onward somehow. Guild T50 Slim and Godin Kingpin 5th Avenue"

Looks like they smashed his back window and grabbed what they could.

So since Valentines day is around the corner, I can't think of a better way to spread a little love than by buying some merch https://andrew-duhon.myshopify.com/

And sorry Andrew if you didn't want me to post this.

It especially sucks that it looks like it happened in Los Angeles (where I live).
    Some people are just evil.

Comment

Damn that sucks. but at least he had insurance. All too often you hear of folks who don't, which I never understood especially when its $1,000s of gear

Comment

Originally posted by halley8 View Post
        Damn that sucks. but at least he had insurance. All too often you hear of folks who don't, which I never understood especially when its $1,000s of gear
        Insurance is just legalized gambling where the house 'usually' wins. Glad they were able to turn the tables and VERY sorry some scumbag nabbed their gear.

Comment

I was impressed with how upbeat his post was - I doubt I'd be as composed. In any case, he makes great music, his band mates are a pleasure to spend time with and I'll make sure to pass some money his way tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post
            It especially sucks that it looks like it happened in Los Angeles (where I live).
            Some people are just evil.
            A couple of years ago, on my first trip to Los Angeles, someone warned me to never leave anything visible in a parked car because it'll only be a matter of minutes before the windows are smashed and whatever is inside is stolen. I was especially warned about leaving a backpack within view. Later, the same warning was given to me in the Bay Area by a friend, who made sure to secure everything in his trunk before driving to his destination because he didn't want anyone scouting out what he was putting in the trunk after he parked. I don't know if this is just a special California trend, but to this day, I've taken both warnings to heart in every single city where I drive. It's often a major pain in the ass, particularly since a lot of rental car companies love providing customers with hatchbacks or SUVs that have no shade pull and leave everything in the trunk fully exposed. Nowadays, I travel with extra airplane blankets and trash bags, all to aid in covering up my luggage in a total state of paranoia. It's also common to see me lugging a 5 foot LED screen (in a case that looks like a keyboard) that I use for work down several city blocks and into restaurants, grocery stores, and dispensaries. Knock on wood, I haven't had a theft yet, so I guess you can never be too careful.

Comment

We loaded our gear into a car trunk after staying with a friend after a show in SF and our host in East Oakland came out just in time to see inside the trunk - and asked if we left the gear in all night. Of course, not, but it prompted him to tell us about his idea for “Bag’o Glass”... go an auto wrecker, get some cracked windows, break’em all the way, carry the shards in a heavy bag & sprinkle some below a window you leave down - maybe a couple pieces on the seat - and leave anything in the car, it already having been hit!

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                We loaded our gear into a car trunk after staying with a friend after a show in SF and our host in East Oakland came out just in time to see inside the trunk - and asked if we left the gear in all night. Of course, not, but it prompted him to tell us about his idea for “Bag’o Glass”... go an auto wrecker, get some cracked windows, break’em all the way, carry the shards in a heavy bag & sprinkle some below a window you leave down - maybe a couple pieces on the seat - and leave anything in the car, it already having been hit!
                We always had a simpler solution......we told our drummer to keep an eye on the equipment

Comment

Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

A couple of years ago, on my first trip to Los Angeles, someone warned me to never leave anything visible in a parked car because it'll only be a matter of minutes before the windows are smashed and whatever is inside is stolen. I was especially warned about leaving a backpack within view. Later, the same warning was given to me in the Bay Area by a friend, who made sure to secure everything in his trunk before driving to his destination because he didn't want anyone scouting out what he was putting in the trunk after he parked. I don't know if this is just a special California trend, but to this day, I've taken both warnings to heart in every single city where I drive. It's often a major pain in the ass, particularly since a lot of rental car companies love providing customers with hatchbacks or SUVs that have no shade pull and leave everything in the trunk fully exposed. Nowadays, I travel with extra airplane blankets and trash bags, all to aid in covering up my luggage in a total state of paranoia. It's also common to see me lugging a 5 foot LED screen (in a case that looks like a keyboard) that I use for work down several city blocks and into restaurants, grocery stores, and dispensaries. Knock on wood, I haven't had a theft yet, so I guess you can never be too careful.
                  California essentially legalized burglary via prop 47. Don't let this happen in your state. Be aware. A family recently had their car broken into while they were sitting in it in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post

California essentially legalized burglary via prop 47. Don't let this happen in your state. Be aware. A family recently had their car broken into while they were sitting in it in SF.
                    This wasn’t shoplifting or grabbing change out of the dash. PC 459 establishes vehicle burglary as a potential felony, regardless of the “take”, and any one of the guitars or laptops taken from the band’s vehicle exceeded the $950 threshold. How vigorously your local authorities handle the arrest, prosecution and sentencing for vehicle burglaries may be a regional issue, but it’s not a conspiracy or lib plot.

Comment

Working...
                    X