Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please critique this song(YouTube)

https://youtu.be/u01J_78ZC9I

I'd get avalanch'd on PT for talking this way, but truthfully? It's less "shave-and-a-haircut, 2-bits" clever than a lot of the Phish catalog sounds like to me, but I feel like it's trying to be more complicated than it needs to be - which strips away any funky groove that might've been the big impact of the tune... And what is that? 7/4? It's kind of in 4, but done in a round sort of count where the various players have a different starting beat in the measure. I'm not trying to be intentionally mean-spirited, it's just that I don't at all understand having a very good keyboard player in Paczkowski and making him negotiate the identical sonic footprint on clavinet that Trey's guitar is occupying with the compressed wah sound... for a lot of the tune. That said, the horns & drums were tight, and good god, that Bari solo that James Casey throws down. I can't dance to it, and it has a mystifyin' beat - I'd give it a 5.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
      I'd get avalanch'd on PT for talking this way, but truthfully? It's less "shave-and-a-haircut, 2-bits" clever than a lot of the Phish catalog sounds like to me, but I feel like it's trying to be more complicated than it needs to be - which strips away any funky groove that might've been the big impact of the tune... And what is that? 7/4? It's kind of in 4, but done in a round sort of count where the various players have a different starting beat in the measure. I'm not trying to be intentionally mean-spirited, it's just that I don't at all understand having a very good keyboard player in Paczkowski and making him negotiate the identical sonic footprint on clavinet that Trey's guitar is occupying with the compressed wah sound... for a lot of the tune. That said, the horns & drums were tight, and good god, that Bari solo that James Casey throws down. I can't dance to it, and it has a mystifyin' beat - I'd give it a 5.

Pretty pretty good critique.

Now do this one from the first night please
      https://youtu.be/P98uOHJMoKU

I was at both shows and left with the following thoughtthoughts:

1) this band is better than 99% of every other band currently touring.
      2) TAB is sooooo much tighter than phish
      3) tab is arguably better than phish currently is
      4) trey is way happierplaying in tab compared with phish

Comment

You get out a bit more than some of us, so I’m giving it to you on #1, tho’ every night’s a new night & everyone’s “best” is just too dang subjective. But I’m a believer - TAB was one of the biggest surprises for me a couple years back at High Sierra Music Fest, partly because of my biases. This tune definitely has a washed-clean effect - like listening to JGB after a steady diet of Dead shows - very nice peak building at the end of the song. And Trey does seem looser, happier on stage - pretty excited, talented people he has with him on stage. Now I’m going to have to find out what Natalie’s duo with guitarist Ian Faquini sounds like.

Comment

Working...
        X