Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy to fly on Spirit?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I crazy to fly on Spirit?

    70 dollar round trip from Chicago at Jazzfest time

  • #2
    It might be a bit of a pain in the ass, but at that price, I would go for it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've had maybe 1 out of 5 flights on Spirit not go well. For the money, just do it. Be loose with your reservations once you arrive, but for $70 that's silly to pass up.

      Comment


      • #4
        The baggage fee(s) & other tack-on charges will get it over a hundred but it’s still a bargain! My wife would never understand that I waived the extra cost just so we could sit together...

        the baggage fee thing brought a funny memory up from a a trip to Spain many years ago - we were in a laundromat with an ex-pat widow who’d married a Franco-era Spaniard and had recently returned to Madrid, a guy from Philly traveling solo, and us. At some point the Philly asks, quite reasonably, why any of us is doing laundry and not out in the city - whereupon he said next trip he was going to buy underwear in bulk packs when he got to a destination & just discard’em after use. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’d have to wash’em before wearing (sizing), but he was on to something!

        Comment


        • #5
          I fly Spirit every year LA-MSY $140 round trip direct flight. I pay the extra $20 for one large bag, bring on a sandwich and water. So total is $160. Never had a problem

          Comment


          • #6
            I wouldn’t fly them again if they paid me to.
            worst experience ever, Detroit to Las Vegas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by duende View Post
              The baggage fee(s) & other tack-on charges will get it over a hundred but it’s still a bargain! My wife would never understand that I waived the extra cost just so we could sit together...

              the baggage fee thing brought a funny memory up from a a trip to Spain many years ago - we were in a laundromat with an ex-pat widow who’d married a Franco-era Spaniard and had recently returned to Madrid, a guy from Philly traveling solo, and us. At some point the Philly asks, quite reasonably, why any of us is doing laundry and not out in the city - whereupon he said next trip he was going to buy underwear in bulk packs when he got to a destination & just discard’em after use. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I’d have to wash’em before wearing (sizing), but he was on to something!
              I had a friend in grad school who had training grant money and never did his own wash, because the laundromat s had drop-off service. Two-day turnaround, a few dollars service charge (1970s). I was too impoverished/cheap to do the same. Doesn't that sort of thing exist overseas?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by canadianjohn View Post
                I wouldn’t fly them again if they paid me to.
                worst experience ever, Detroit to Las Vegas.
                Don't leave us hanging!

                Comment


                • #9
                  From what I gather, the big issue with flying Spirit or Frontier to/from Jazz Fest is the potential for a canceled flight at the last minute with no other options for a number of days. Obviously, if you're flying out of an airport where your airline has multiple flights to MSY per day, that's a lot less of a risk, but a number of Threadheads have been screwed by these two airlines in the past.

                  People always seem to mention the extra fees, but if you do your research and have common sense, I can't see why that would be an issue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                    From what I gather, the big issue with flying Spirit or Frontier to/from Jazz Fest is the potential for a canceled flight at the last minute with no other options for a number of days. Obviously, if you're flying out of an airport where your airline has multiple flights to MSY per day, that's a lot less of a risk, but a number of Threadheads have been screwed by these two airlines in the past.
                    I think the gap is closing. Frontier still lags, but Spirit's on time rate and cancellation rate are on par with United & American over the last year or two. And airline flights in general are fuller then they used to be, and especially for Jazzfest, so any airline will struggle to get everyone there after a full flight has canceled.

                    I think the single biggest choice you can make to protect yourself is to book nonstops. Only 1-2% of flights are canceled, but about 25% are delayed. And a connection can easily turn a delayed first flight into a missed second one. If getting there is really important, I'd rather take a nonstop on Spirit than a connection on AA or UA.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post
                      From what I gather, the big issue with flying Spirit or Frontier to/from Jazz Fest is the potential for a canceled flight at the last minute with no other options for a number of days. Obviously, if you're flying out of an airport where your airline has multiple flights to MSY per day, that's a lot less of a risk, but a number of Threadheads have been screwed by these two airlines in the past.

                      People always seem to mention the extra fees, but if you do your research and have common sense, I can't see why that would be an issue.
                      My son had a Spirit flight from New Orleans to Chicago cancelled at the last minute. As you noted, since they don't have multiple flights every day, it was going to be a couple of days to get a re-booked flight. Since he had to get back for work, he ended up renting a van with some other stranded passengers and drove back.

                      If that kind of stuff doesn't stress you, then it's probably worth the risk to save some $$$.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post

                        Don't leave us hanging!
                        Ok. It started the day before the flight. We were at the hotel trying to get the information on our gate number, flight details etc. It was impossible to get a real person on the line. I eventually had to just say a bunch of gobbly gook so that the automated voice sent me to a real person.
                        at the gate it cost me extra for our luggage that I didn’t know about, my fault, but I didn’t know that we had to pre register our carry ons too. With all that accomplished we boarded the plane. We didn’t sit together because I had to pay extra in order to fit my 6’4” frame into the seat. The seats do not recline at all, therefore I got of the plane in Vegas & couldn’t move my neck. Every other aspect of the flight felt like we were in a cattle car. The list of things that went wrong goes on from there, but needless to say it was awful & ended up costing me as much for 3 people on Delta when there was only the two of us.
                        never ever again!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Pretty awful indeed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                            70 dollar round trip from Chicago at Jazzfest time
                            Whether or not you fly on whatever, John, you're crazy. You don't like Richard Thompson. Please get help. For that price, I'd take a risk.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've flown them once, MSY-BOS I think, only because their flight timings were perfect. I would typically fly American, but that would have required a change of planes somewhere and either an earlier-than-desired departure or later-than-desired arrival, and JetBlue's non-stop was not at a convenient time. I paid extra for the big seat, and everything went perfectly smoothly. I still would opt for American or JetBlue all other things being equal, but would definitely fly Spirit again under similar circumstances.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X