Good news/goodwill about Jazz Fest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news/goodwill about Jazz Fest

Since most of the current threads at the top of the list have little or no direct Jazz Fest connection, the purpose of this thread is to provide a venue for expression of good feeling s/beautiful thought s about our favorite cultural event...or really any other thing you'd like to discuss, as ha s always been the case in this forum --- I really don't care. Just be civil and respectful of humanity. Wishing for all to have an enjoyable Jazz Fest and Patry this year and in the future, come what may.
    Yours truly, Jim Mensch

Yes, thank you. My prayer is that Fest is on, and then people can make their own choice whether to attend or not. It is the gravitational pull of my year -- to borrow someone else's phrase -- and I would be most sad were it cancelled. New Orleans is a most resilient place. I'm reminded of the time between Katrina and when it was announced that JF was a go the following spring. Periodically, I would just start sobbing out of the blue. Both for the devastation in NO. And, selfishly, because I wanted to return for JF. It is a joyous affair, the most joyous affair, what we need now more than ever in these times of turmoil.

Comment

I used to collect the most inspirational comments about Jazzfest. I guess it's been a decade since the last entry, but these testimonials are timeless:

http://jazzfest.swagland.com/writings.html
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
        I used to collect the most inspirational comments about Jazzfest. I guess it's been a decade since the last entry, but these testimonials are timeless:

<3 <3

Comment

Thanks Swag, I totally enjoyed and needed to read the collection of JF tributes. I’m one that is drawn back to New Orleans again and again for the intangibles. I’ll add that one of the life lessons I’ve learned from JazzFest and New Orleans in general is to be flexible in my thinking. Yes it was a huge downer that Aretha Franklin canceled day of show in 2010 but there were other great musicians that I saw for the first time that day. Yes there have been days since that were way too rainy for me to want to go to the fairgrounds but later in the day it might be nice enough to take a walk to Louis Armstrong Park for some great free music and fabulous homemade pralines. The sun will come out, there will be music, there will be untold magic just around the corner, and that thought has come true each year I go back. Resilience is correct. The city is all about that and I’ll always go back.

Comment

No matter how the dice roll, I'm going to be in New Orleans 4/21 to 5/5 and I'm super excited for it! I'll get to see all my local friends plus my worldwide friends in a city we all adore. And we'll get to hear loads of fabulous music and eat loads of fabulous food and enjoy every minute of every day. On this 3 year anniversary of the passing of our dear friend and sister in the music, Gris Gris aka Mellie, I will celebrate the upcoming festivities by starting my pile for travels in April and May!

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Thanks. What I know is when I heard Toussaint and Longhair and Gatemouth on the the Riverboat in '76, and Longhair again at the FG playing the greatest set of music I've ever heard, It. Changed. My. Life. JazzFest is the most sacred blessing I've ever experienced. I cannot conceive what my life might have been without it.

Comment

I have been known to say that Jazzfest makes all of human civilization worthwhile. The billions of years of evolution up from single celled organisms to our present state, it all leads up to Jazzfest, the absolute pinnacle of the human experience on this planet.

Comment

My first JF was '96, Thurs-Tues first weekend. First act: Treme BB in Economy, Unk right up front! First night show: Beau Jacque vs. Boozo at the old upstairs Rock n Bowl, the floor going up and down during the music and dancing! When we reluctantly returned to Chicago I told Karen ' I want to do the whole thing every year for the rest of my life'. Many years it's been our only vacation, but so far, so good! If the city's open I want to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                    My first JF was '96, Thurs-Tues first weekend. First act: Treme BB in Economy, Unk right up front! First night show: Beau Jacque vs. Boozo at the old upstairs Rock n Bowl, the floor going up and down during the music and dancing! When we reluctantly returned to Chicago I told Karen ' I want to do the whole thing every year for the rest of my life'. Many years it's been our only vacation, but so far, so good! If the city's open I want to be there.
                    My first Jazzfest was in 1996 also. Although I'm from Louisiana, I had no idea what it really was. When I walked through the gate, the first thing I saw was the music schedule for that day. Then I walked past the food court. I thought to myself, this must be what heaven is like. I've been back every year since. And I'll be there this year too.

Comment

I plan my entire life around jazzfest.

Comment

Originally posted by mangochill View Post
                        I plan my entire life around jazzfest.
                        This. Me too .......

Comment

I've had a great, happy, fortunate and long life (68) and some of the happiest moments of that life have happened at Jazz Fest, and I ain't quitting yet.

Comment

My family moved here in '79, when I was 12, and I grew up uptown, went to TU (for a while) and think my first fest was '85 (spring of freshman year). I have lived across the Magnolia bridge from Cabrini High in the little neighborhood between the bayou and Carrollton ave since early 2004. I turned on my phone's stopwatch function and walked from the front door to the Sauvage Street entrance to make sure it was walking distance before I was willing to make an offer on the place. No regerts as they say........

Comment

I first went in 1990 for the whole thing, my first trip to NOLA since my parents brought us here in 1966. (I still remember the 5th floor pool at the Monteleone from that trip.) Coming from the Bay Area, I had seen a lot of music growing up in the 60's out there thanks to Bill Graham but Jazz Fest blew my mind, along with some of what I saw in the clubs. I remember seeing Dr. John at Tip's my 2nd time there. He had an amazing 4 piece horn section (Red Allen, Charlie Miller, Herb Hardesty and Amadee Castenell, as I recall,) each of which seemed to get a solo in every song. The good Doctor had a candelabra on his piano and he played til the candles burned down at about 3:30 AM. It was something like I had never seen before.

I was so impacted by the overall experience, I called my old bandmates from the 70's when I got back saying, "Look, I just saw people older than us still playing. We could, too." We started playing again and Spiny Norman had a nice run playing roots music in brew pubs throughout the 90's. I remember also having a party at my house where I tried to convey the experience. I had taken a cooking class in the Quarter that was really good and so I made the food, played the music, tried to bring the vibe. Somehow, though a fun night, it just didn't do what I wanted it to...

I came back to a few more Jazz Fests in the early 90's before getting a cool work assignment here working for Freeport McMoran for a year in '96. When Freeport asked the same group to come back in 2000, I re-located to a sweet shotgun on DeSoto right near Liuzza's and the Fairgrounds. It is a great feeling to wake up and realize you could walk over to Jazz Fest! One time, my girlfriend and I were going to see the Radiators at Tip's that night. She asked when they would start. I walked out the front door and Ed Volker was walking by as he lived around the corner so I asked him. Gotta love it! Freeport cancelled the job 3 months in, no work back in SF because my company had been trying to get out of there for years, so I ended up leaving them, staying in the shotgun I couldn't bare to leave and I've been here ever since.
                              Last edited by chopitulas; 03-11-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X