Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz Fest Rescheduled Dates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Right. And they're not yet ready to declare the festival canceled, and that's why we've heard nothing. But can they wait till, say, summer, to see if the situation miraculously abates? How long can they wait? They obviously don't believe things will be safe enough to hold Essence Festival in July...
    Last edited by Lollygagger; 03-28-2020, 02:12 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Gris Gris Man View Post

      Drop the name, you're mistaken about your assumptions. A reasonably intelligent person can extrapolate that those arguing for a Fall rescheduling of Jazz Fest are assuming the pandemic will be on the downswing by that time, otherwise it wouldn't be rescheduled. Is that simple enough for you? Now I've got music to make and you've got more assumptions to make about secret identities.
      I'd say they're hoping, not assuming, until such time as the situation is more definite. I'm hoping for Fesst in Oct., but I'm far from certain it will happen or that we'll be able to attend. Let's hope, and see.

      Comment


      • #48
        Don't get me wrong, I hope it happens as soon as it is safe to go on. And I hope all Festers have a great time. Heck, I might even see you there. The news is discouraging at this time and it pains me to see New Orleans suffering as it is. Here's hoping for better days soon.

        Comment


        • #49
          A LOT can happen and change over 6 months. Look how much has changed in just a few weeks. I'm sure they want to have the complete lineup ready to go before announcing anything. Once again as of 2 1/2 weeks ago I know for a fact that Quint & Co had not even started thinking about who could still play and who else that they could get to play. There are WAY more important issues in this city right now then whether there will be a Jazz Fest here or not like hospital beds, ventilators, nurses, doctors, medical supplies etc.... Who knows, maybe the city does not want them to announce anything at this time. The only part I disagree with is they should allow refunds considering some people may need the money although how would those who paid cash at The Smoothie Center get a refund?(not that I want one)

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
            ...

            The only part I disagree with is they should allow refunds considering some people may need the money although how would those who paid cash at The Smoothie Center get a refund?(not that I want one)
            During the Rolling Stones debacle last year, we could go to the Smoothie King Center with our cash-paid tickets and get a refund. Had to bring original tickets and ID, as I recall.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by festbabe View Post

              During the Rolling Stones debacle last year, we could go to the Smoothie King Center with our cash-paid tickets and get a refund. Had to bring original tickets and ID, as I recall.
              Right but they would not be able to allow that right now so they could only offer refunds to those who paid with a cc. As for The Stones, I would not be surprised if they are trying to get them to play this Fall seeing as their tour has been postponed. I'd be all in!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                Right but they would not be able to allow that right now so they could only offer refunds to those who paid with a cc. As for The Stones, I would not be surprised if they are trying to get them to play this Fall seeing as their tour has been postponed. I'd be all in!
                Rolling Stones??? Well hell, just ask Tugs.
                He’s right here. And he knows. Of course.

                Comment


                • #53
                  The Who should be available. They moved their tour of the USA to the Fall.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    1. Announcing new dates is not a promise that fest will happen - only that fest will happen if the world is ready by then for large gatherings. Lots of other festivals have announced fall dates, and we all realize that none are guaranteed.

                    2. I don't see any reason why fest would have to announce a new complete lineup at the time the dates are announced. For an April Jazzfest, we get the lineup in January. That same timeframe for an October Jazzfest would mean a July talent announcement.

                    3. I'm sure fest would like to have as many of the original performers play in the fall. Certainly, though, the logistics of tour schedules means that they won't get 100% of them. The question is, is availability of one or two specific headliners enough to make fest shift dates? That's really the only reason I can see to delay the announcement of new dates. Well, unless negotiations with the venue have hit a snag.

                    4. I agree with everyone that whether or not they're ready to announce dates, they should announce a refund policy now.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by swag View Post
                      1. Announcing new dates is not a promise that fest will happen - only that fest will happen if the world is ready by then for large gatherings. Lots of other festivals have announced fall dates, and we all realize that none are guaranteed.

                      2. I don't see any reason why fest would have to announce a new complete lineup at the time the dates are announced. For an April Jazzfest, we get the lineup in January. That same timeframe for an October Jazzfest would mean a July talent announcement.

                      3. I'm sure fest would like to have as many of the original performers play in the fall. Certainly, though, the logistics of tour schedules means that they won't get 100% of them. The question is, is availability of one or two specific headliners enough to make fest shift dates? That's really the only reason I can see to delay the announcement of new dates. Well, unless negotiations with the venue have hit a snag.

                      4. I agree with everyone that whether or not they're ready to announce dates, they should announce a refund policy now.
                      Some valid points but when they normally announce the dates no one has yet to but a ticket. Theyy have already sold a lot of tickets and passes. If they announce new dates the first thing that many will ask is "Is________still playing? If not I want a refund"

                      Also something to remember is that come May they usually already start working on the following year's Jazz Fest. Who knows what kind of dealmaking going on. And then what to do about Blues & BBQ Fest. From what I heard a few weeks ago they knew if they had JF in The Fall the lineup would definitely change. I'm fine with that. I was not all that excited at all with the lineup they had or for that matter with the nighttime shows either. I was only planning on going 2 or 3 days and to only a few night shows. Just too much of the same old thing and way too many dead cover bands in the clubs.
                      Last edited by jjazznj; 03-28-2020, 07:05 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                        That is total speculation. NO ONE has any idea if this thing will leave as fast as it got here or linger around throughout the Summer. It's a new virus, anything is possible. And a second wave, if it were to come would probably be a lot later than Oct and not be as bad. I think there will be a Jazz Fest (and FQ Fest & Voodoo Fest) and that things will be calmed down by August but what do I know?
                        Don't want to be a debbie downer, but the 1918 flu subsided in the summer and returned "with a vengeance" in the Fall.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lollygagger View Post
                          Right. And they're not yet ready to declare the festival canceled, and that's why we've heard nothing. But can they wait till, say, summer, to see if the situation miraculously abates? How long can they wait? They obviously don't believe things will be safe enough to hold Essence Festival in July...
                          I hate to say it, but I feel certain there will not be a large scale concert in the US before 2021 at the earliest. China who managed to basically stop the spread of the virus tried to open up parts of their country that had been shut down, like movie theaters, for instance. Didn't take more than a couple weeks before new cases started to spike and they have since shut things down again. We are going to have a much more difficult getting on top of things. When we do, concerts and festivals will be the last things to return.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Leni626 View Post

                            Don't want to be a debbie downer, but the 1918 flu subsided in the summer and returned "with a vengeance" in the Fall.
                            Hey anything can happen but a totally different type of virus 102 years ago?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I think the lineup is the least of it. If some headliner isn't available, other headliners will be. The uncertainty is, will they be able to hold it at all? Where is the virus going? Right now, things look disastrous, especially for those who live in the epicenters, which, along with New York, now includes New Orleans. It's not really up to the festival authorities as to whether JF takes place in the fall. The governor will likely make the call, and from what I've caught on the news, he's justifiably frantic right now. Even if the lineup is successfully retooled, that has little to do with whether there's a rescheduled JF. My question remains: How long can they put off a decision?
                              Last edited by Lollygagger; 03-29-2020, 12:02 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Zenwinemaster View Post
                                At the moment Louisiana and New Orleans are among the hardest hit locations on the planet.

                                https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...rleans/608821/

                                not realistic currently to lock in plans for a big public event there in less than 7 months, have to see how this plays out. IMHO.
                                Which is why it's time to cut bait for 2020, cancel outright and re-assess for 2021.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X