Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for anyone who needs hospitalization due to covid

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice for anyone who needs hospitalization due to covid

    Things are about to really hit the fan at the local hospitals. They are already near capacity and its getting worse by the day.

    ***If you or a loved one gets sick enough to where you need to go to the hospital, drive to Mobile Alabama. Its just over 2 hours away. A family member is a physician there, and as of today the hospital is virtually empty and they have plenty of ventilators . They expect to have spare capacity for at least another two or three weeks. Due to the healthcare system here being overwhelmed, you will get better care in Mobile.


    Stay safe everyone. Going to be a rough couple weeks around here.
    Last edited by TornAndFrayed; 03-25-2020, 02:40 PM.

  • #2
    Good to know. Thanks !! Just found out a person we hung out with a couple weeks ago tested positive and spent time in hospital. Luckily, we are pretty much past the time where symptoms would pop up and we have been practicing responsible social distancing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post
      Things are about to really hit the fan at the local hospitals theu are already near capacity and its getting worse by the day.

      ***If you or a loved one gets sick enough to where you need to go to the hospital, drive to Mobile Alabama. Its just over 2 hours away. A family member is a physician there, and as of today the hospital is virtually empty and they have plenty of ventilators there. They expect to have spare capacity for at least another two or three weeks. Due to the healthcare system being overwhelmed, you will get better care in Mobile.
      Given that, it boggles my mind that the hospitals in Mobile don't lend some or all of the excess ventilators to New Orleans, where they're obviously needed much more over the next 2-3 weeks. It's essentially what NY Gov. Cuomo has been saying. Take ventilators from where they're sitting unused, and utilizing them in the hot cities where things are deteriorating rapidly, and there are not enough available to help save lives.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post

        Given that, it boggles my mind that the hospitals in Mobile don't lend some or all of the excess ventilators to New Orleans, where they're obviously needed much more over the next 2-3 weeks. It's essentially what NY Gov. Cuomo has been saying. Take ventilators from where they're sitting unused, and utilizing them in the hot cities where things are deteriorating rapidly, and there are not enough available to help save lives.
        Just asked your question to my dad, who is on the Ventilator Allocation Committee at the big hospital in Mobile.

        He said that the uncertainty in how bad things will get and when, in Mobile is why they cant lend vents to New Orleans. Nobody knows for sure that they wont have a surge 4 days from now, however unlikely.

        He also said that the average length of time on a vent for covid patients is about 2 weeks, so there will likely be some overlap between mobile and new orleans. He said that if they lent their ventilators to New Orleans and then suddenly needed them that it would be all but impossible to get New Orleans to pull the plug on the patients using the borrowed equipment in order to give them back to Mobile.

        He said that as much as they would love to be able to help New Orleans, that their top priority has to be their patients and they fully expect to need every vent that they have very shortly.
        Last edited by TornAndFrayed; 03-25-2020, 02:33 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post
          Just asked your question to my dad, who is on the Ventilator Allocation Committee at the big hospital in Mobile.
          Hi, Tuggs. Good on ya for not I-told-you-so-ing us.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lit View Post
            Hi, Tuggs. Good on ya for not I-told-you-so-ing us.
            I wouldn't do that. I know my behavior wasn't exactly "helpful." My anxiety was through the roof, and I was acting compulsively. Glad to see everyone is on board now and working together to do what we can.

            Last edited by TornAndFrayed; 03-25-2020, 02:39 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post

              I wouldn't do that. I know my behavior wasn't exactly "helpful." My anxiety was through the roof, and I was acting compulsively. Glad to see everyone is on board now and working together to do what we can.
              In any event, I probably owe you an apology because your anxiety was more warranted than I appreciated at the time, so I'm sorry for that. I've since taken to the attitude that dealing with this pandemic is like dealing with death, in that everyone deals with it in their own way and I try not to judge.

              I also appreciate that you were trying to help and you did raise awareness, however reluctant we may have been to become aware. Thanks.


              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks, I appreciate that.

                Also, fyi, the advice to go to Mobile to be hospitalized over New Orleans is the advice my dad gave to the half of ouf family who lives in New Orleans. Its not just me spitballing, rather it is coming directly from a medical expert.

                Thats not to say Mobile wont be overwhelmed at some point to, but at least for now, being treated in Mobile will likely give you a better chance at survival than being treated here

                Here is The texy that my dad sent to our families group text: https://imgur.com/a/w7vZJjP

                The "call me" part isn't an absolute necessity. They will admit anyone.
                Last edited by TornAndFrayed; 03-25-2020, 03:18 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I want to thank Lit and Tuggs for their exchange. It has been a tough time, for sure. I am in NYC and, as you can imagine, anxiety is high here. Seeing this exchange gives me hope that there is hope for us all. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Some folks won't have the option to go to a different city due to insurance issues, or have insurers decided to cover COVID19 treatment anywhere, as a life or death matter?
                    Last edited by fesstgeek; 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM. Reason: typo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                      Some folks won't have the option to go to a different city due to insurance issues, or have insurers decided to cover COVID19 treatment anywhere, as a life or death !atter?
                      All insurance plans cover out of network emergencies, except for Hawaii. I wouldn't tell them you specifically traveled, to Mobile for care, but if they admit you it WILL be considered an emergency, thus it will be covered even if it is out of network.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Welcome back, Tuggs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                          Welcome back, Tuggs.
                          Namaste

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X