Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious

From the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) April 2019.

As in last year
    US flu still elevated but dropping; deaths as high as 57,000

|

Levels of influenza-like illness (ILI) in the United States remain elevated for the 21st consecutive week—the longest season in recent years—but the disease is on the decline, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today in its weekly update.

Still, the agency says influenza has caused up to 57,300 deaths and sickened up to 41.3 million people, according to new estimates.In its latest estimates on flu impact today, the CDC said the disease has sickened from 36 million to 41.3 million people this season through Apr 13, of whom 16.7 million to 19.4 million sought medical care. In addition, the disease has hospitalized 502,000 to 610,000 patients and killed 34,400 to 57,300.
    Last edited by 20/20; 1 week ago.

Bi ?

Comment

Yellow

Comment

And...?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
          Yellow
          I laughed WAY too hard at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
            Bi ?
            Fluid

Comment

"The agency says influenza has caused up to 57,300 deaths and sickened up to 41.3 million people"

This again? Ok, one more time.

As I said here weeks ago when most thought postponing Jazzfest would never happen, those numbers are nothing compared to the worst case scenario for COVID-19.

One expert was saying the other day that he expects 40-80% of the US population to eventually get this virus. Let that sink in. Even at the low end, that is 120 million people.

With a mortality rate of 2%, that is over 2 million people dead. Just a little more than 57,300.

No, I am not a scientist, but my wife's best friend is a microbiologist at the University of Kentucky who is currently involved in a clinical trial for a possible COVID-19 vaccine. I know other people who work at the CDC. This is real folks.

That was probably more than this thread deserves, but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by RobJohnson View Post
                "The agency says influenza has caused up to 57,300 deaths and sickened up to 41.3 million people"

As I said here weeks ago when most thought postponing Jazzfest would never happen, those numbers are nothing compared to the worst case scenario for COVID-19.

One expert was saying the other day that he expects 40-80% of the US population to eventually get this virus. Let that sink in. Even at the low end, that is 120 million people.

With a mortality rate of 2%, that is over 2 million people dead. Just a little more than 57,300.

No, I am not a scientist, but my wife's best friend is a microbiologist at the University of Kentucky who is currently involved in a clinical trial for a possible COVID-19 vaccine. I know other people who work at the CDC. This is real folks.

Despite the thread title, rest assured that he is not curious. He's just blowing the whistle as usual to see if he can provoke a response. Don't give him the satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by RobJohnson View Post

But...the 2% figure is based on KNOWN cases, which so far are an underestimate of the true total number infected, so 2% is an overestimate. Until much more testing, in a well-designed sampling protocol to provide some reliable estimates, we're just not going to know the incidence, severity, and mortality rates accurately. The sure thing right now is that it's already horrible.

Comment

It is getting worse faster in the US and the US is way, way behind on testing. We're seeing doubling every 3 days everywhere. I seriously doubt there will be a Jazz Fest at all this year. And the extended economic impact on New Orleans does not bode well for future years.

Comment

Hey Joe. Coming out of board self exile ... um, I mean quarantine long enough to wish you, your lovely wife and Obamacar well. We are hunkered down, doing ok. Will run our of toilet paper before wine ... we have our priorities.

Stay safe, stay curious my friend.

Comment

And this is related to Jazz Fest, New Orleans or even music, how?

Comment

Originally posted by Gris Gris Man View Post
                          It is getting worse faster in the US and the US is way, way behind on testing. We're seeing doubling every 3 days everywhere. I seriously doubt there will be a Jazz Fest at all this year. And the extended economic impact on New Orleans does not bode well for future years.
                          New Orleans came back even stronger after Katrina. We got this!

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post
                            Hey Joe. Coming out of board self exile ... um, I mean quarantine long enough to wish you, your lovely wife and Obamacar well. We are hunkered down, doing ok. Will run our of toilet paper before wine ... we have our priorities.

Stay safe, stay curious my friend.
                            Think about you and your darling husband often. You would not believe how often I come across pictures of us in front of Liuzzas from one year or another. I would bet that “hunkered down” doesn’t do it justice.
                            Best wishes and prayers until our next morning meet up........and there WILL be one!
                            Much Love

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                              And this is related to Jazz Fest, New Orleans or even music, how?
                              Well I and others knew it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X