dba on Frenchmen for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dba on Frenchmen for sale

I hope this doesn't go through, but I fear that this may just be the beginning of a trend.
    The music venue and barroom d.b.a., a mainstay of the Frenchmen Street entertainment district in New Orleans for 20 years, is for sale.

Not good news

Comment

That's too bad, had a lot of great times there in the post-Katrina apocalypse.

Comment

Damn, end of an era for sure. I still vividly remember discovering that they had opened when we arrived on Thursday before first weekend in 2000. We were staying at The Frenchmen Hotel and Frenchmen Street was just starting to explode, and we were already big fans of the original d.b.a. in NYC. We did our walk around the neighborhood shortly after we arrived and noticed a makeshift chalkboard sign on the sidewalk in front announcing that d.b.a. New Orleans was open. "What? Couldn't be!" we said among ourselves as we sauntered in, in disbelief that our favorite NYC beer bar had opened up an outpost up the street from our then-favorite New Orleans hotel. To our surprise, it was. We started a tradition of ending most Fest nights (or early mornings) with a nightcap of a bottle of Cantillon at d.b.a., which lasted until Katrina took the last of their inventory and they never carried it again.

So many great times there. Sad.

Comment

I love that place despite the bartenders from hell. Hoping someone will save it. Those window seats! And now the raised stage!

Comment

damn it. dba was always my final stop at jazzfest. Stanton Moore trio>Frequinox was always a wonderful way to close out fest. gonna miss that place if new owners try and change it

Comment

Can't believe it's been open 20 years. Small anecdote: We were sharing a cab with a guy and he invited us to stop by his new club when it opened. The name wasn't decided on yet so they were just referring to it on the city paper work as DBA - Doing Business As - guess it stuck.
              Last edited by LaTiDa; 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I remember their original website was drinkgoodstuff.com I seem to be the guy in my town to give NOLA travel advice. I always tell them to not miss John Boutte at the d.b.a.

Comment

Black Laurel scored our first DBA gig, playing with one of my favorite bands, Malevitus. Was this past Sunday. Nobody showed up....including us.

Comment

Originally posted by stooped View Post
                    I remember their original website was drinkgoodstuff.com I seem to be the guy in my town to give NOLA travel advice. I always tell them to not miss John Boutte at the d.b.a.
                    Boutte on Mondays was always a safe bet. Wednesday's with Tin Men early/Walter Wolfman late was a sure thing as well.

Comment

I've always had mixed feelings about that place. When it first opened it was just a expensive bar without music. It never really seemed like a real New Orleans place to me. I like the fact that they had a great selection of beer and booze. Then they added music but I've never been a fan of the setup or the sound in there. And no way I'd ever go in there during Jazz Fest as it gets too crowded(I pretty much steer clear of Frenchman during JF - used to love Cafe Brazil). One of my friends was working there the night Stevie Wonder came in and played with Wolfman Washington. I would have loved to have been there for that! If they can sell it maybe the new owners will just keep it the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        Black Laurel scored our first DBA gig, playing with one of my favorite bands, Malevitus. Was this past Sunday. Nobody showed up....including us.
                        Story of my life. We finally scored a once-a-month residency gig at the happening beer garden in town and got to do 1 of the months. Grooviness in a venue is a fickle, friable & fragile thing - at this point you’re just hoping one of your favorite spots survives the lockout, f the gig.

and that reminds me to look for the photo I took of the specials board at d.b.a. - some beer $5, some wine $5, and Pappy... $90. We wanted to hang just to see which drunk expense-account jabrone bought a round for his krewe.
                        Last edited by duende; 04-01-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                          I've always had mixed feelings about that place. When it first opened it was just a expensive bar without music. It never really seemed like a real New Orleans place to me. I like the fact that they had a great selection of beer and booze. Then they added music but I've never been a fan of the setup or the sound in there. And no way I'd ever go in there during Jazz Fest as it gets too crowded(I pretty much steer clear of Frenchman during JF - used to love Cafe Brazil). One of my friends was working there the night Stevie Wonder came in and played with Wolfman Washington. I would have loved to have been there for that! If they can sell it maybe the new owners will just keep it the same.
                          Until Katrina, they were the only place in town with a great beer selection, other than the Avenue Pub, which is not convenient. Over the years it became a much better music venue and a much worse bar in all respects, especially the bartenders.

There were definitely sweet spots for the sound and the window booths were great for late afternoons (Cleary!) or late evenings, but when overcrowded--like everyplace else--it sucked. IMO it was always worth waiting out the inevitable thinning of the crowd for the late night/early morning sets, which was made much easier when we used to stay in the neighborhood--before that, too, became overrun.

I'll always have a soft spot for many great hours spent there with great friends, as well as too many great shows to count. Oh, and the Cantillon. I really miss that.
                          Last edited by Lit; 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

My story, too. Ken Swartz and I did a great gig with Chris Mule' at Little Gem Saloon...a two hour set that was one of my proudest moments as a musician. We really hit the nail on the head that day and they loved us. About a week later...closed.

d.b.a. will always live in my memory as I ended up at the lip of the stage there after the Saints won the Super Bowl with pure joy the mood.

I thought they were connected with a similar bar in NYC, not that that matters much.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                              My story, too. Ken Swartz and I did a great gig with Chris Mule' at Little Gem Saloon...a two hour set that was one of my proudest moments as a musician. We really hit the nail on the head that day and they loved us. About a week later...closed.

d.b.a. will always live in my memory as I ended up at the lip of the stage there after the Saints won the Super Bowl with pure joy the mood.

I thought they were connected with a similar bar in NYC, not that that matters much.
                              There is a dba on 1st Ave in NYC. I don't think they have music though. Never went in there as it looks like a million other bars there.

Comment

Working...
                              X