No announcement yet.

WWOZ to broadcast eight days of archival New Orleans Jazz Fest 'greatest hits'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWOZ to broadcast eight days of archival New Orleans Jazz Fest 'greatest hits'

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...ad83179f3.html

Originally posted by Keith Spera
    Under normal circumstances, staffers at community radio station WWOZ 90.7 FM would be preparing for their annual live broadcast from the Fair Grounds during the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

Thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 Jazz Fest has been canceled. So instead, WWOZ will broadcast a sort of Jazz Fest greatest hits.

Starting at 11 a.m. on April 23 -- what was the originally scheduled opening day of the 2020 Jazz Fest -- the station will air selected live recordings from past festivals. The "Festing in Place" broadcast will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. each of the eight days that OZ would have been broadcasting from its hospitality tent on the Jazz Fest grounds, April 23 to 26 and April 30 to May 3. The station also plans to create its own scheduling "cubes." Featured acts who will appear on those cubes and in the broadcasts include Dr. John, Fats Domino, the Neville Brothers, Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint, Henry Butler, Marcia Ball, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Mardi Gras Indians, Trombone Shorty, Kermit Ruffins, John Boutte, the Radiators, Big Freedia, Ernie K-Doe, Ellis Marsalis, Danny Barker, the Rebirth Brass Band, Bob French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band and more.

Additionally, WWOZ will air the "Fire Benefit," a 1974 concert to raise money for piano legend Professor Longhair after his house caught fire. Longhair, Dr. John, the Wild Magnolias and other local legends appeared on the bill.

The special eight-day "Festing in Place" broadcast will also feature interview segments about food, music and crafts, as well as recipes for Jazz Fest cuisine.

To foster some semblance of the Jazz Fest community in isolation, WWOZ is soliciting photos from listeners of their "Festing in Place outposts and fest-worthy attire.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

I like it

Comment

This sounds like a great idea. I'll try to remember to tune in. Hopefully they announce their "cube schedule" in advance. It will be bittersweet for sure.

Comment

My wife and I were already planning to do a "Jazzfest at home" type thing for the weekend we were planning to go. This just makes the playlist that much easier.

Yet another reason why WWOZ is the best radio station in the history of the universe.

Comment

I want that Fess Fire show! Hope they play some other shows in their entirety but do not include all of the rambling banter from the OZ folks. I have hours and hours of this kind of stuff. Back in the 90s I used to record the entire fest on video tapes and then edit it down during the Summer onto cassettes. nolataper has put of hundreds of these OZ Fest recordings over the years on DIME.
          Last edited by jjazznj; 04-17-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

This is extremely cool. Don't know whether it will make me feel better or just constantly longing. Either emotion, I'll be tuned in for a bunch of it

Comment

WWOZ is doing something similar for FQF today through Sunday. Their Facebook page has a live video stream of artists that would’ve been performing today. Full audio sets will be played Saturday and Sunday from past FQF

Comment

You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need. To quote a JF No Show from the past. :-)

Comment

When do the cubes come out?

(someone had to ask)
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Virtual Patry?

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post
                      Virtual Patry?
                      From what I've seen on Facebook, it's in the works. I wish I could volunteer to help. But work (glad I can still do it) takes precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by glinda View Post

From what I've seen on Facebook, it's in the works. I wish I could volunteer to help. But work (glad I can still do it) takes precedence.
                        I should have the info for that later today!

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                          When do the cubes come out?

(someone had to ask)
                          The cubes are out!

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...0c&oe=5EC4E840

Comment

I’ve already highlighted my grids, mostly to hedge my CRS (can’t remember s#!t), but they won’t be complete until I see Jordan’s & Groovy’s lists or marked-up cubes. I joked elsewhere that I’ve got a spot in the backyard with no shade that I prepared with tall camping chairs in front of our Tommy Bahama beach chairs. My wife & I will flip a coin to see who’ll be the “keep it moving/no dancing!” usher for blues tent sets.

p.s. my spell-checkin’ phone wants to capitalize the U in usher. I’m 62 fer chrissakes!

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

p.s. my spell-checkin’ phone wants to capitalize the U in usher. I’m 62 fer chrissakes!
                              HAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                              X