WWOZ to broadcast eight days of archival New Orleans Jazz Fest 'greatest hits'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucinda !!

I think I hear 20/20 cheering in the background.

Comment

• Mighta been me as I saw that set and it was one of my favorite Jazz Fest moments ever. IMHO, Doug Pettibone was the best guitarist Lucinda ever had and she always has someone excellent. I loved the "World Without Tears" album she did much of that day on the Gentilly Stage. I remember the wind blew her music off her stand and she got a little flustered but she recovered.

The world was just about absolutely perfect that day as I lived on Desoto St. near Liuzza's, so I opened my front door and walked over to enjoy that magical set of music. I was so happy when I got the set from a WWOZ re-broadcast a few days later and made a CD of it that has always been one of my prize possessions.
      Last edited by chopitulas; 05-02-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gards View Post

Following on from that show at Fest I was determined to see them again as they never came down here, and I ended up at Wanee for their 40th Birthday Party on 09, they played 2 sets on consecutive days I think, but unfortunately most of the 3 days or so I spent there are a blur. As we were getting up to mischief as soon as we got out of our tents.
        So I do need to get the live CDs of those shows.
        There were a few people from the bored present at this. I was hosted by the Peanut Man whilst I was in Florida, which in itself was an experience and we ran into DenBear and Headless at Wanee and maybe more. Headless may be able to tell us what the shows were like, as he sorted a great camping spot for us and could have kept himself more together than I did.

And as for the Peanut man there is a long story to tell there, as usual
        Anything over 10 years ago is a blur to me. I can't remember who else played that year, but I do remember it ra*ned a fair bit. That was the only Wanee I went to because it was usually too close to JF; that year it was in July iirc. I looked into my photos to see if that would jar memories but for some reason I only took two shots. No DenBear but a couple of other THs.

Comment

• Greatly enjoyed the set by Mr Toussaint and his mighty fine band, good memories indeed.

It was a very cool way to start to my day

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post

Anything over 10 years ago is a blur to me. I can't remember who else played that year, but I do remember it ra*ned a fair bit. That was the only Wanee I went to because it was usually too close to JF; that year it was in July iirc. I looked into my photos to see if that would jar memories but for some reason I only took two shots. No DenBear but a couple of other THs.

Hi Mate

Thanks for the photo, you have reminded me that Frankie and Lisa were there as well.
            I do remember that there was a bit of ra#n but all the compounded leafs or whatever soaked up the water very well on the paths and stuff near our site.

I have jus found an old programme from the event, which sadly is water damaged but the dates were June 4, 5 and 6 2009.
            The line up was awesome I wish I could remember more of it, acts included as below

The main stage the first day had Blowing Trees, The Radiators, Umphrey McGee, Buddy Guy, Govt Mule and The Allmans Brothers Band

Mushroom Stage that day had Mocean Worker, Hill Country Revue, Colonel Lionel Hampton, Keller Williams, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and The Derek Trucks Band doing the midnight show.

Next day
            Main Stage
            Devon Allmans Honey Tribe, Bill Kreutzman-BK3, Arc Angels, Susie Tedeschi Band, The Doobie Brothers and The Allman Brothers Band
            Mushroom Stage
            Bonobos Covergence, Jamoe`s Jasssz Band, Ivan Nevilles Dumpstaphunk, Jorma Kaukonen, Drive By Truckers and a late night finish by The Wailers

Lots of fine music there and typing this has stirred some good memories for me. Fun times indeed.
            I remember that you found us on the way in and guided us to an excellent camping spot, as the Peanut man was somewhat lost

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
              Mighta been me as I saw that set and it was one of my favorite Jazz Fest moments ever. IMHO, Doug Pettibone was the best guitarist Lucinda ever had and she always has someone excellent. I loved the "World Without Tears" album she did much of that day on the Gentilly Stage. I remember the wind blew her music off her stand and she got a little flustered but she recovered.

The world was just about absolutely perfect that day as I lived on Desoto St. near Liuzza's, so I opened my front door and walked over to enjoy that magical set of music. I was so happy when I got the set from a WWOZ re-broadcast a few days later and made a CD of it that has always been one of my prize possessions.
              I am just listening to this now and it sounds mighty fine, Lucy for a long time has always managed to have a very good bunch of musos with her, and long may that continue

Comment

• Steel Pulse 2008 is up at 1pm.

Probably the most fun I ever had at JF

Comment

• Last night, we had a cocktail or two, and sampled the last 10 days or so of archived Festing in Place recordings on WWOZ's website. Very enjoyable, even through the computer sound system. The highlight for us was hearing Zachary Richard again, in fine form, with Torkanowsky on keyboard and Shane Theriot on guitar.

Comment

• Originally posted by chazmo View Post
                    Last night, we had a cocktail or two, and sampled the last 10 days or so of archived Festing in Place recordings on WWOZ's website. Very enjoyable, even through the computer sound system. The highlight for us was hearing Zachary Richard again, in fine form, with Torkanowsky on keyboard and Shane Theriot on guitar.
                    That was a good set. Did you get up and do the crawfish dance? I remember being at that set, early at Acura. I think that was the first time seeing him.

Comment

• Bruce... wow. I had watched this on youtube just a few years ago but listening to this version of Saints now killed me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post

That was a good set. Did you get up and do the crawfish dance? I remember being at that set, early at Acura. I think that was the first time seeing him.

Ha. Ha. No, it's not the same at home. We did both make the crawfish claw pinch at each other, but did not dance. We were not at that Fest, but saw him at another JF. Our first time seeing him was at Slim's in SF during his Snakebite Love tour. One of the best shows of his we saw was at Grant Street in Lafayette when Sonny Landreth was still in his band. That's going back a ways.

Comment

• The Nevilles sound so fine! This was from two years before my first Fesst ('96) and that was 1st weekend only, so three years before I first saw them close the Fesst. I'd always tear away from the Rads and quickly hike past Fais Do Do and Congo (and in earlier years Jazz Tent to hear the last half hour at the Fess stage. Those final songs with the sun setting by the church dome on Esplanade were always very moving; the touch of melancholy and immediate longing for the next year's Fesst that always came over me then is happening now listening to this stream. May we all be there next April in a happier world.

Comment

• The Nevilles were so hot then. Heard them also that year at House of Blues, where, after a day at Fest, we danced so much, I literally had trouble walking back to hotel. Had to hold on to buildings to make it. (Just feet, I was already sober at the time.) And the Springsteen Seeger Sessions set was not only incredible music, but the perfect music for that moment. And resonant today in these strange and perilous times. What an amazing ending to Festing in Place. My heart is full. Next year, the Good Lord willing, back in New Orleans.

Comment

• There was lots and lots of great music and memories over the 8 days which although slightly bitter sweet at times, normally put a smile on my face in most instances.

Lots of thanks to OZ for doing this

Now what I am going to do to try and survive for when we were meant to be at Tuba Fats Tuesday and moving forward Bayou Boogaloo etc?
                              Not to mention life in general.

I think the answer is to try and keep smiling and thinking of the good times that will eventually return.
                              Which I know must be exceptionally hard for a lot of people at the moment.

And that everyone should keep trying doing the right thing RE following instructions and rules to contain this beast and not be stupid, lazy, complacent and selfish, which sadly I know lots of people have been. I know that common sense is not very common, but we all got to try. A second surge of this is the last thing anyone needs.

Stay sensible safe and well and I hope to see you all on the other side

Comment

• Nice post Gards.

Comment

Working...
                                X