Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtually Watch the Premiere of ‘Up from the Streets New Orleans: The City of Music’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swag View Post

Where was Levon's club?
    On Decatur, by House of Blues, but other side of street. The space had a nice run as 'Lounge Lizards' after Levon's closed. They had some great shows as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

I wasn’t in the room and obviously don’t know what happened, so we’re all relying on the versions of history told by people with a bias.

I love the Band and I credit Robbie with a majority of the lyrics. Levon says it was more collaborative and that Robbie took advantage of the lack of business sophistication of the others because he was the scribe writing stuff down while they were riffing or storytelling. I believe it given the content of many of the songs, which are drawn from Levon’s experience (e.g., Anna Lee was Levon’s friend; I met her). Levon left the Band for a while because he was so bummed about the reception they were getting when people were booing Dylan for going electric and apparently that’s when Dylan’s manager Albert Grossman bonded with Robbie and at some point whispered in his ear about the importance of getting the songwriting credits. The rest, as they say, is history. I also don’t blame Robbie for not succumbing to the drug abuse. He’s one of the last men standing so there was obviously a wisdom in his abstinence (which is notable if you see Festival Express, as he literally refused to get on the train).

I like Robbie’s solo work and I loved seeing Levon perform every chance I got, including four trips to his barn, one of which was with my kids, and the other three were with some of my favorite people on the planet. We met him a few times and I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to some bias myself. I don’t disagree with you about the Band’s albums after they got back together without Robbie with one exception: their cover of Bruce’s “Atlantic City” is one of the rare covers of a great song that I prefer to the original. Again, a big part of that may be my bias from the fact that it was a highlight of every show we saw at the barn.
      "Levon didn't write songs. I gave him credit": Robbie Robertson on The Band's disputes and new film

Robbie Robertson spoke with Salon about the documentary "Once Were Brothers," Bob Dylan, Martin Scorsese, and more

https://www.salon.com/2020/05/23/rob...were-brothers/

Comment

Working...
      X