My trip to LMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My trip to LMF

So a few weeks back I noted I had made an LMF trip, and, since i don't want to read about who I should or shouldn't hate anymore and whether or not america is being made great again right before my eyes, I've decided to post a couple quick reviews, maybe talk a little music:

Aurora Nealand/Tom McDermott - Live at Luthjens: charming in every way, deserves the accolades it has gotten here. An intimate two-person live-in-studio set that i'm just loving.

The Write Brothers 2nd album: great stuff from everybody and worth it just for being Spencer's swan song alone, but has lots of great stuff from all 4 guys.

Leyla McCalla: Capitalist Blues: enjoyable listening but not something i will reach for, some of it in what's probably French (what do i know), but a powerful rock out breakdown to end a song about insanity of war in "Aleppo".

Henry Butler: new 2 disc compilation: it's great musically but i regret buying it. I just grabbed it and checked out and didn't realize that half the tunes are called something like "HB groove" or soemthing like that when they are in fact copyrighted jazz instrumentals. That Lucky Old Sun being listed as "Heaven" by Henry Butler makes me think somebody had the rights to some good tapes and decided to try to make a buck. Again though, can't really find fault with the music itself.

Brad Walker Live at Snug: this is really genuinely good shit if you like straight ahead jazz, and having Oscar Rossignoli on piano just ups the ante. As a result of this I will be going to see Brad Walker at Snug when the times permit.

Charlie Halloran and the Tropicales, Shake the Rum: i bought this cause I met Charlie once at a recording session and he seemed like such a nice unassuming guy that when i saw him credited as a bandleader i decided to buy it. It's actually very well done, but sort of an island/carribean vibe through (see title) so not really trad jazz, or even jazz, but upbeat horn driven tunes for the island life vacation. Outside of that context it isn't something I might reach for repeatedly.

Still hard to beat a real recording in your hands, and being something you physically chose might even persuade you to give the content the number of listenings it sometimes takes to get past minor gaffs or production value issues. I was going to comment earlier about a couple of digital music purchases I’ve made from much-loved New Orleans performers, the point being that I don’t think you’re doing the average enthusiast any favors by offering downloads in multiple digital formats - all of them not easy to download & unpack from their zipped form, put in your digital music folder, and then What? listen to lossless files over PC speakers or via Bluetooth in your car? I’m not a music format Luddite, but I may be a curmudgeon lol.

Have you heard Brad play with the Jesse Morrow trio at Bacchanal? Their set a few years during Jazzfest was pretty pretty hard-core for extended pinky wine-sippin’ vibe I’ve usually caught there. Brad must’ve caught the “this guy wants to chat” vibe and came by our table on break. I gushed about seeing him on the Sailor’s Guide Sturgill Simpson tour and asked about the trio - he joked about the hundred Fest slots he had booked. And drummer Simon Lott is a freakin’ madman! I’m glad to see they’re back on the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
      So a few weeks back I noted I had made an LMF trip, and, since i don't want to read about who I should or shouldn't hate anymore and whether or not america is being made great again right before my eyes, I've decided to post a couple quick reviews, maybe talk a little music:

Aurora Nealand/Tom McDermott - Live at Luthjens: charming in every way, deserves the accolades it has gotten here. An intimate two-person live-in-studio set that i'm just loving.

The Write Brothers 2nd album: great stuff from everybody and worth it just for being Spencer's swan song alone, but has lots of great stuff from all 4 guys.

Leyla McCalla: Capitalist Blues: enjoyable listening but not something i will reach for, some of it in what's probably French (what do i know), but a powerful rock out breakdown to end a song about insanity of war in "Aleppo".

Henry Butler: new 2 disc compilation: it's great musically but i regret buying it. I just grabbed it and checked out and didn't realize that half the tunes are called something like "HB groove" or soemthing like that when they are in fact copyrighted jazz instrumentals. That Lucky Old Sun being listed as "Heaven" by Henry Butler makes me think somebody had the rights to some good tapes and decided to try to make a buck. Again though, can't really find fault with the music itself.

Brad Walker Live at Snug: this is really genuinely good shit if you like straight ahead jazz, and having Oscar Rossignoli on piano just ups the ante. As a result of this I will be going to see Brad Walker at Snug when the times permit.

Charlie Halloran and the Tropicales, Shake the Rum: i bought this cause I met Charlie once at a recording session and he seemed like such a nice unassuming guy that when i saw him credited as a bandleader i decided to buy it. It's actually very well done, but sort of an island/carribean vibe through (see title) so not really trad jazz, or even jazz, but upbeat horn driven tunes for the island life vacation. Outside of that context it isn't something I might reach for repeatedly.
      Capitalist Blues is easily my favorite local album over the last few years. Seeing her play it at The Music Box with most of the people who played on it was so cool.

As for buying cds, I stopped years ago, just way too many and not enough space. I'm all about digital, have been for many years now. It's easy to find the artwork and info online if I want to. I actually bike around Mid City and put cds into those little Free Library boxes just to get rid of them! I have kept all of my jazz, blues, reggae, funk, soul and NOLA cds though.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

... I actually bike around Mid City and put cds into those little Free Library boxes just to get rid of them! I have kept all of my jazz, blues, reggae, funk, soul and NOLA cds though.
        Oh, I love this! I get books from LFL around the neighborhood, but never thought about CDs.

Comment

I've bought at least a dozen new releases and album preorders over the past three months. Agree about The Write Brothers--really love "Do It," "Late So Early" and "When the Wheels Come Off" from that album, and hearing Spencer's final cuts is somehow heartbreaking and heart-warming at the same time.

Resonate from Lettuce is definitely my favorite of all the new purchases. Really solid listening throughout and I am always happy to hear it no matter what the setting. Sometimes reminds me of Tower of Power, the Neville Brothers, Galactic, the Budos Band and even War. I expect it will continue to be a great summer listen, too. Highly recommended.

Sorry You Couldn't Make It from Swamp Dogg would probably be next. I bought it because of the two tracks with John Prine, but I love Swamp Dogg, too, and this does not disappoint. Heartbreaking and poignant in spots because of the clear inspiration from the recent passing of his wife, but also just some beautiful, classic Swamp Dogg R&B and soul. Also highly recommend this one.

All of the others have been very good to great; I suspect most here know them and already have opinions one way or the other, but if you're a fan of the artist I'd also recommend them:

Mordechai from Khruangbin

Work Hard and Be Nice from Michael Franti & Spearhead

Pick Me Up Off The Floor from Norah Jones

Tx Jelly and Floor It!!! from The Texas Gentlemen

Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? from Fantastic Negrito

El Dorado from Marcus King

Sigma Oasis from Phish

Quarantined with Nick from Nicholas Payton

Rough and Rowdy Ways from Dylan

Black Talk! from Charles Earland (not a new release, but a relatively new discovery for me and a great B3 player for those who are fans of that)

Comment

Big fan of Capitalist Blues. And I love Live at Luthjens. I’m now listening for the first time to Primates by the Greyhounds (produced by Los Lobos’ Steve Berlin). And, after reading these comments, I’ll be sending another order into LMF!

Comment

I spoke to Baz at LMF yesterday when I was ordering Lisa some Birthday presents for today.

He said that they are just keeping their head above water and that it is a constant struggle.

I got Lisa the Bach Of Rock by Fess, In to The Sky by the Write Brothers, Good Souls Better Angels by Lucy Williams, Atmosphere by The Nightcrawlers and a Tribe Called Reds greatest hits. Plus a JazzFest Garden flag.
              All CDs of course, for as long as they keep making them I will keep buying them.
              I greatly enjoy opening them up again, sometimes when I have not looked at them for years, which I what I did the other day with an Antones Anniversary Anthology CD from 91, which I had not checked out for a long long time
              And I just realised that I forgot to get the Live at Luthjens CD. Oh well next time

Comment

Just place a new order. Getting "Sorry You Couln't Make It" from Swamp Dogg and "Resonate" from Lettuce. Bought Brad Walker's "Live at Snug Harbor" and The Write Brothers "Into the Sky" from LMF. And got "Rough and Rowdy Ways" and Charles Earland's "Black Talk" from Amazon.

If anyone can suggest an alternative to Amazon let me know. Also, I've had a good listen to the Greyhounds new album "Primates." I like it lot.

Comment

Working...
                X