My trip to LMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

That subdudes record seemed to slip thru the cracks as it was only available at cdbaby for a Long time. I love it and think "I Smile" is the best subdudes song since the annunciation record.
    Just spun it here, as well, and I love it, too. I like the first track, in particular.

Sadly, when I went to the LMF to get it (it took several months for them to get physical copies, for some reason), Barry told me he really is having trouble keeping the store open. Frenchmen St. is a ghost town so he gets next to no walk-in business and the mail ordering is hit or miss. Tough to pay the rent with that the case. I really felt for him as he is such a nice person and has done so much for local musicians over the years. It was truly an honor to get to play an in-store and Jazz Fest crowds show how much it means to out-of-towners who love New Orleans music. But it's a tough business at best.

Galactic is in trouble with Tip's, as well. And with K Paul's closing, you really start to see the loss of cultural icons here. So sad...

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
      Just spun it here, as well, and I love it, too. I like the first track, in particular.

Sadly, when I went to the LMF to get it (it took several months for them to get physical copies, for some reason), Barry told me he really is having trouble keeping the store open. Frenchmen St. is a ghost town so he gets next to no walk-in business and the mail ordering is hit or miss. Tough to pay the rent with that the case. I really felt for him as he is such a nice person and has done so much for local musicians over the years. It was truly an honor to get to play an in-store and Jazz Fest crowds show how much it means to out-of-towners who love New Orleans music. But it's a tough business at best.

Galactic is in trouble with Tip's, as well. And with K Paul's closing, you really start to see the loss of cultural icons here. So sad...
      In a few weeks i'm venturing to NOLA and my masked self will make my contribution to LMF's in-store business. I would really hate to lose that place.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I agree with you on Barry. Great guy and LMF is an important part of the music scene here and has been for decades now.
        I've known him for over 25 years since the first store with Jerry on North Peters opened back in 1992.
        I still have pix of my friend's band from NJ, The Voodudes playing at the original store.
        By the time I moved here in '96 they had moved around the corner on Decatur, across the street from a new place called The House Of Blues.

Not that I wanted to see them close but K Paul's was planning on closing anyway in the next few years. Not the same since Chef Paul passed away.

Comment

Barry is the best. Went in for some guitar strings the other day. Told him not to give me my musicians discount until he was back on solid ground. He wouldn't have it and gave it to me anyway. Now that other guy who works in there ( short hair, older, glasses, been there forever ) is a tool......but easily avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I still have pix of my friend's band from NJ, The Voodudes playing at the original store.
            Hey JJazz--you are friends with the VooDUDES? Me, too! I book them every year for Asbury Park Mardi Gras. Great guys!

(Sorry, Thread drift--Barry is the best. Was a pleasure to work with when we were doing the J&M shirts. SAVE LMF!)

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Hey JJazz--you are friends with the VooDUDES? Me, too! I book them every year for Asbury Park Mardi Gras. Great guys!

(Sorry, Thread drift--Barry is the best. Was a pleasure to work with when we were doing the J&M shirts. SAVE LMF!)
              Well I was friends with them. Three of my good friends were in the original version of the band back in the early 90s but left back in the 90s. Ron Tullier, who is from here but lived up in NJ for years started the band and played bass and sang along with Andy, one of my high school buddies Dave Ross played drums and Jim Beckerman, who writes for The Bergen Record played keyboards. They came down here during Jazz Fest a couple of years and played at LMF, Rock n Bowl and Cafe Brazil. They hired Roger Lewis from The Dirty Dozen to play sax at a couple of those gigs. I haven't seen them play in decades since all of my friends left the band.

Here are some pix that I took at those gigs in the early 90s.
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/188172...57715150779181

Comment

Well I was friends with them. Three of my good friends were in the original version of the band back in the early 90s but left back in the 90s. Ron Tullier, who is from here but lived up in NJ for years started the band and played bass and sang along with Andy, one of my high school buddies Dave Ross played drums and Jim Beckerman, who writes for The Bergen Record played keyboards. They came down here during Jazz Fest a couple of years and played at LMF, Rock n Bowl and Cafe Brazil. They hired Roger Lewis from The Dirty Dozen to play sax at a couple of those gigs. I haven't seen them play in decades since all of my friends left the band.

Nice photos! I wasn't going to NOLA until a few years after that, but did see Beckerman play a solo in-store at LMF one Jazzfest. Do you mind if I send the link to Andy? I think he'll get a kick out of the old photos.

Comment

Chew, jjazz, you guys are cracking me up. My family moved to NOLA in '79, when i was 12, forcing me to quit my afterschool gig delivering the Bergen Record.

Went back to LMF yesterday, got the new Booker and Fess t shirts, got my 16 year old boy the obligatory teen Hendrix tee. Also picked up new Grayson Capps anthology, the tribute to Alvin Fielder (with Kidd Jordan and Hamid Drake on it) and the new Maceo (on which I think the only non-Nola musician is Maceo himself). Still working on the new Dylan, but time is on my side when it comes to listening to my record collection these days.......

Comment

Smilin’ Myron t-shirt sighting!

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Nice photos! I wasn't going to NOLA until a few years after that, but did see Beckerman play a solo in-store at LMF one Jazzfest. Do you mind if I send the link to Andy? I think he'll get a kick out of the old photos.
                      No prob. I think he has seen them before but not positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        Barry is the best. Went in for some guitar strings the other day. Told him not to give me my musicians discount until he was back on solid ground. He wouldn't have it and gave it to me anyway. Now that other guy who works in there ( short hair, older, glasses, been there forever ) is a tool......but easily avoided.
                        I’m determined to not take advantage of another musician’s troubles by buying stuff they’re selling off at tragic discounts. I guess I’m naively hoping that karma will land that stuff in another broke player’s hands when they need it most. And that older guy - is he the vinyl dude? If so, he’s pretty affable for a vinyl guy lol.

Comment

Only saw Steve Earle once. With the Dukes in the early 90's. Great show. Last tour before he went to prison and got straight.
                          Many moons ago during Easter at Byron Bay I spent some time one morning on the beach with Steve Earle and couple of friends of his Aussie promoter.

Man can he talk, I was marginally hungover at the time and it was hard work, but an interesting experience

Comment

Freeman? Guy with the weird eye? We've spent many hours drinking with him at Chart Room. I think he's a nice guy, but I don't think he stays sober much....

Comment

There is a guy who has been working at the Louisiana Music Factory since at least 1997 (when I first visited the store) who I have seen there every year since. He is a clean-cut guy, probasbly a couple of years older than me, and even though I have never spoken with him at length, he seems to recognize me and gives me a friendly, "Hey, what's up?" when I stop in. I alwasy wondered if he was the owner's son or something. Seems like a nice guy who clearly enjoys what he does for a living (I just kind of assume he was too young to be the owner when I first saw him, but of course I have no idea)

There is also a bartender at Tipitinas who I have also seen at virtually every Tips show I have attended since '97 as well. I have chatted with him briefly a time or two, and although I don't think he ever remembers my name, (which is perfectly fine with me, as I am never able recall his either) he somehow remembers I am originally from Utah, and always asks how things are going. Sadly, he may well be one of the only friendly, non-arrogant and seemingly down-to-Earth staff member I have ever interacted with at Tips.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post

Freeman? Guy with the weird eye? We've spent many hours drinking with him at Chart Room. I think he's a nice guy, but I don't think he stays sober much....
                                Could be him. Whenever I see him outside on LMF, it is in that neighborhood. I assume he is friendlier after a few drinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X