Other Festivals, 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duende View Post

I think there are a few Texans who still revere George Strait and who would be up for the obviously SXSW-influenced shift in the line-up. What I'm wondering about is the complete absence of bands/musicians like Mike & the Moonpies, Band of Heathens, Robert Ellis, Shinyribs, Okkervil River, White Denim... you know, Austin-based bands that have been standard-bearers for the local scene for years and who would be expected to get a hometown-advantage booking to represent, like another festival we mostly adore. And I just connected the dots about the season - tell me that this fall Jazzfest won't be as miserably hot'n'humid as Austin'll be during ACL fest.
    When ACL Fest started it was a combination of big Alt Rock acts, local Austin acts and a few New Orleans acts mixed in. Then it was taken over by C3 Presents(who are part owned now by Live Nation), the people who produce Voodoo Fest and Lollapalooza. It then became more of a mainstream fest without the local roots music.

As someone who goes to Austin a lot (I'm going next week for 7 days) Austin is much dryer than New Orleans. I've been in Austin in the Summer and felt relieved to get away from the humidity of New Orleans. But Oct weather here tends to be quite nice so we shall see.
    Last edited by jjazznj; 05-20-2021, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Not so sure about that. Could do Friday in N.O and Sunday in Austin, or visa/versa. They are relatively close to each other.
      Less than an hour flight from NOLA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

When ACL Fest started it was a combination of big Alt Rock acts, local Austin acts and a few New Orleans acts mixed in. Then it was taken over by C3 Presents(who are part owned bow by Live Nation), the people who produce Voodoo Fest and Lollapalooza. It then became more of a mainstream fest without the local roots music.
        e.
        Went to the first three. Enjoyed them. Then it changed. Have not been back.

Comment

• Similar here, I think I did the first four. But for me, it wasn't so much a change in the performers as that as ACL grew in popularity, dealing with the crowds and hassles made it less enjoyable. As far as the weather, though, remember it used to be held in September, and it could be brutally hot. In '05, after a near-miss from Rita, the mercury soared to 107. But what Zilker Park offers that the Fairgrounds never will - a chance to take a midday break and cool off in nearby Barton Springs, I do miss that.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
            Similar here, I think I did the first four. But for me, it wasn't so much a change in the performers as that as ACL grew in popularity, dealing with the crowds and hassles made it less enjoyable. As far as the weather, though, remember it used to be held in September, and it could be brutally hot. In '05, after a near-miss from Rita, the mercury soared to 107. But what Zilker Park offers that the Fairgrounds never will - a chance to take a midday break and cool off in nearby Barton Springs, I do miss that.
            Naked I presume???? "When in Rome........."

Comment

Similar here, I think I did the first four. But for me, it wasn't so much a change in the performers as that as ACL grew in popularity, dealing with the crowds and hassles made it less enjoyable. As far as the weather, though, remember it used to be held in September, and it could be brutally hot. In '05, after a near-miss from Rita, the mercury soared to 107. But what Zilker Park offers that the Fairgrounds never will - a chance to take a midday break and cool off in nearby Barton Springs, I do miss that.
              I love Barton Springs. I'll be going there a couple of times next week. Starting this week on most days you need a $5 reservation and can only stay 2 hours due to overcrowding and COVID. I made a few of them in case it rains.

There's a little water at the Fairgrounds. Haha. Never saw anyone in there though.

Comment

We were there that year. That's the hottest I've ever been in my life. Barton Springs saved us!

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

There's a little water at the Fairgrounds. Haha. Never saw anyone in there though.
                  The turtles would eat you. I've seen them chase ducks and come out of the water to fight for popcorn.

Comment

• Not sure if this has been posted or not, but TTB are doing this NC mountain resort in August. Anybody know anything about the venue? Wanted tickets for a June show at a sweet little amphitheater in Wilmington, NC, but they sold out in four minutes. https://www.beechmountainresort.com/...oncert-series/

Comment

• Re: Austin, I've only ever been to Austin in the dead of summer. Honestly, its the only way to get me to attend a professional conference- send me someplace where the outdoor daytime temperature is going to be so unhealthy that I'll want to be inside an air conditioned convention center all day. On a visit for leisure, we were in Austin for Labor Day weekend and the temps were *so* hot that we just floated around the pool at the Austin Motel all day long (props to the TH who made that recommendation) and then spent the majority of the night out. Exception was made for a visit to Jester King Brewing, but thats it.

Comment

• Looking at the summer/fall festivals and pondering the wisdom of the out-of-commission-for-an-entire-year rebranding move by Watchhouse, the duo/band formerly known as Mandolin Orange. Then I saw the band's name in a couple of lineups and gig listings and I have to say, diabolically brilliant move, intentional or not. The band's name - Watchhouse (formerly Mandolin Orange) - is going to occupy an entire line on some festival posters. I still have my own thoughts on the band's name, but I never did myself any particular favors in that regard etiher.

Comment

• Rhythm & Roots (Labor Day weekend, Ninigret, RI) coming back strong:

https://rhythmandroots.com/artist-lineup/

Comment

• Willie and friends
                            https://blackbirdpresents.com/concer...val-tour-2021/

Comment

• Originally posted by TEXFESTFAN View Post
                              Anyone have the pre-sale code?

Comment

• Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Anyone have the pre-sale code?
                                Ontheroad2021

Comment

Working...
                                X