X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like this lineup:

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
      for those interested in a country-ish sound, there is a FREE festival in Baton Rouge in about 2.5 weeks that i've never heard of at all.
      Steve Earle, Amanda Shires, American Aquarium, Lucero, Drivin n Cryin, Horton Heat, all free in late June. With tacos.
      https://www.banditofestival.com/home
      There is not any info on Steve Earle's or Amanda Shires web sites of them playing in Baton Rouge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
        I like this lineup:

Now the question is, do I cancel all of my airfare, drive to Nashville for Americana fest, then drive to Florence AL for a day of Shoalsfest and then drive to NOLA for jazz fest? Maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

Now the question is, do I cancel all of my airfare, drive to Nashville for Americana fest, then drive to Florence AL for a day of Shoalsfest and then drive to NOLA for jazz fest? Maybe?
          Once again, you're channelling my thoughts! It's actually the weekend of FQF, not AmericanaFest though, so that plan wouldn't work.
          I also had a look at the FAQ's, and it's a two-day deal, no single day tickets.
          But I think there's there's a more than fair chance that you will see the bulk of those artists either in Nashville or Nola.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Once again, you're channelling my thoughts! It's actually the weekend of FQF, not AmericanaFest though, so that plan wouldn't work.
            I also had a look at the FAQ's, and it's a two-day deal, no single day tickets.
            But I think there's there's a more than fair chance that you will see the bulk of those artists either in Nashville or Nola.
            Bummer on the two day pass. And yeah, true re: those artists. I’m just gilding the lily at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

There is not any info on Steve Earle's or Amanda Shires web sites of them playing in Baton Rouge.
              Great lineup but I've been trying for a while now to find out if this is actually happening and have gotten nowhere. No updates on their social media pages or on their website, no response to my messages and nothing on any of the artists pages. Most fests by now would have posted who is playing on which day.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Great lineup but I've been trying for a while now to find out if this is actually happening and have gotten nowhere. No updates on their social media pages or on their website, no response to my messages and nothing on any of the artists pages. Most fests by now would have posted who is playing on which day.
                From what i've seen online this was supposed to happen last year at a place called Galvez Plaza in BR and was a covid victim and they're trying to get it back up and running. Steve Earle starts a tour in Texas 4 days later so it's certainly possible he was planning it, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it is actually happening. In fact, I found that link at either Jambase or Live for Live Music (I forget which) and when I went back to confirm today which of those two it was, it wasn't on either. I think someone's reach exceeded their grasp or something like that

Comment

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

This is the one that works well if you're in Nashville with a car. Really good lineup, and I guess many of the artists will be up the road in Nashville over the previous week.
                  https://pilgrimagefestival.com/2021-lineup#/

Comment

• Speaking of Muscle Shoals, I finally got around to watching the 2013 documentary about it last night.

I can't believe I never saw it before, and I hold all of you who have responsible for not requiring that I watch it sooner. I would have already been to Muscle Shoals by now had I seen it when it came out.

Fantastic.

Comment

• So spit it out LIt: What are you saying?

I should watch the documentary?

Amazing that so much great music has roots there... Sam Phillips too was born and raised near Florence - altho of course he made his name in Memphis...

It's fun to contemplate the source of so much musical greatness; such radical individuality. What was it, something in the water? The timing? The pent-up energy of a racially divided community, burning for release? Most likely, all that and more. But like with Cosimo in NOLA, some individuals stand a bit taller than others...

And we music lovers are SO LUCKY to live in the same era as those visionaries.

Uh, wait: What was this Thread about, again?

Comment

• Originally posted by freebo View Post
                        So spit it out LIt: What are you saying?

I should watch the documentary?

Amazing that so much great music has roots there... Sam Phillips too was born and raised near Florence - altho of course he made his name in Memphis...

It's fun to contemplate the source of so much musical greatness; such radical individuality. What was it, something in the water? The timing? The pent-up energy of a racially divided community, burning for release? Most likely, all that and more. But like with Cosimo in NOLA, some individuals stand a bit taller than others...

And we music lovers are SO LUCKY to live in the same era as those visionaries.

Uh, wait: What was this Thread about, again?
                        I'm not saying that you should watch it. I am saying that you must.

Same goes for any other Threadhead who hasn't seen it yet. There is no one here who won't love it.

As for the why Muscle Shoals? The film makes a good argument that it was all of the above; if music was wine I'd say it was the "terroir," because that seems to most accurately capture the essence of the combination of time, place, culture, people, environment, etc.

The music itself might be some of the least racially-divided popular music ever made, and there is no doubt that had a lot to with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

This is the one that works well if you're in Nashville with a car. Really good lineup, and I guess many of the artists will be up the road in Nashville over the previous week.
                          https://pilgrimagefestival.com/2021-lineup#/
                          Indeed it does but I don't think I'd want to leave Nashville early to make it to Franklin and it seems like they are also doing two day passes. Would love to find something along the way for Friday 10/1 and Saturday 10/2, arriving in Nola 10/2 or 10/3. I dunno. Not hypothetical about this as flying home from Nashville on 9/26 and then flying to NOLA 10/2 isn't necessarily easier than making it a longer trip by car. I just need to be sure I'm planted in place someplace during daytime 9/27 - 10/1ish to put in some time at work. Or maybe not if I still have a pile of time off to burn. These are good problems to have.

Comment

• https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...cb5dfe93a.html

BUKU normally occupies several buildings at Mardi Gras World as well as the grounds near the shuttered Market Street Power Plant. The fall BUKU: Planet B will be entirely outdoors, on the grounds near the power plant and in the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center's parking lot K.

A ticket presale starts on June 10; registration for the presale is available on the festival's web site, thebukuproject.com. Tickets go on sale to the general public on Monday, June 14.
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Buku Megan's !! Megan Thee Stallion as well as Megan the Fox, I'm sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                                .... I'd say it was the "terroir," because that seems to most accurately capture the essence of the combination of time, place, culture, people, environment, etc.... [/SIZE]
                                In a fun coincidence, those are exactly the words that Canine Horror uses to describe how he feels about his beloved Tuesday evening "$9.95 All-You-Can-Eat Hot Wings Buffet" special at Larry Flint's Little Darlings club...
                                Last edited by MormonMatthew; 06-08-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X