Other Festivals, 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by innertube View Post
    So if Jazz Fest gets canceled or cut down to one weekend what happens to these already booked night shows?

lawyers...?? Perhaps they put clauses in the contracts??...no Fest contract is void?
    i doubt a festival cancellation has ANY impact on those deals. Caveat emptor, you're booked to "play the Joy", not to play "the Joy during jazzfest at night". it's not like the old nightime series of concerts that were part of the festival's bookings.

Rumors were flying (I think here on this bored too) that Voodoo was being canceled and fest pressured to go to one weekend. From what I've heard, jazzfest cannot be done with one weekend of revenue, the massive infrastructure build requires more than that to be financially worthwhile. I have been told by the organizers that FQF will have fewer stages this year. I suspect this is a city policing issue: having FQF, 2 weekends of jazzfest, Voodoo, and Buku in single month while hosting Saints games and every other "normal" aspect of fall in New Orleans is simply more than the city can take on at this point. Even Tulane football requires a lot of NOPD, hell even high school football does.

I think that based on limited needs, Buku goes forward normally, they don't require as much from the city. Voodoo is told to scale back or cancel and they cancel, FQF is told to scale back or cancel and they scale back, jazzfest has the biggest economic clout and pushes back to say "we do two weekends in october or we don't do october, and if we don't do october, we won't exist in spring, so unless you want to never have any jazzfest tourists again, you'll give us two weekends".

This is ALL rampant speculation on my part based on a mix of rumor and fact (voodoo IS canceled and FQF IS scaled back).

Comment

• Spera article said the decision to cancel was not influenced by city. Good news for FQ and Jazz Fest.

Comment

• Satchmo Fest cubes!
        https://satchmosummerfest.org/music/
        Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
          Spera article said the decision to cancel was not influenced by city. Good news for FQ and Jazz Fest.
          Actual quote:
          Beau Tidwell, a spokesperson for Mayor LaToya Cantrell, said that the city did not force the festival to cancel.

"There was no communication from the city to Voodoo Fest organizers that they could not proceed," Tidwell said.
          It could be that the city was noncommittal. The city might have said, we're not ready to guarantee the permit yet, and Voodoo needed the promise now.

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post

Actual quote:

It could be that the city was noncommittal. The city might have said, we're not ready to guarantee the permit yet, and Voodoo needed the promise now.
            Here at the law shop we were just laughing about that quote about how the city didn't say they could not proceed. They didn't say, "this is not the result of any actions taken by the city." They just said, we didn't tell them they couldn't do it. We might have mentioned that we aren't approving permits for a while, we might have mentioned that we'd have to make the festival pay the OT for the cops, we might have mentioned that we were only inclined to permit it for two days only with an end time of 9pm, we might have done any of those things, but we certainly didn't say "they could not proceed". That's how I read the city's statement. Guess I'm just a cynic.

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Here at the law shop we were just laughing about that quote about how the city didn't say they could not proceed. They didn't say, "this is not the result of any actions taken by the city." They just said, we didn't tell them they couldn't do it. We might have mentioned that we aren't approving permits for a while, we might have mentioned that we'd have to make the festival pay the OT for the cops, we might have mentioned that we were only inclined to permit it for two days only with an end time of 9pm, we might have done any of those things, but we certainly didn't say "they could not proceed". That's how I read the city's statement. Guess I'm just a cynic.
              I absolutely agree with you (and its just speculation on my part). I felt like the quote from the city was carefully and oddly worded.

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
                Bummed I'll be out of town that weekend.

Comment

• All due respect to FQ fest and Jazz Fest, but October is Voodoo’s month. Should have been prioritised first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lonewolf32 View Post
                    All due respect to FQ fest and Jazz Fest, but October is Voodoo’s month. Should have been prioritised first.
                    Prioritized by who exactly? They cancelled their own fest. And BTW, not that it matters but Voodoo is not even remotely the money maker for the city that those other 2 fests are. It's not even put on by locals. C3 Presents/Live Nation puts it on.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Prioritized by who exactly? They cancelled their own fest. And BTW, not that it matters but Voodoo is not even remotely the money maker for the city that those other 2 fests are. It's not even put on by locals. C3 Presents/Live Nation puts it on.
                      Plus, it's generic. It could be anywhere. It's like a minor Coachella. And I mean no disrespect to Voodoo Fest. Steve Rehage had a great idea.

Comment

• Then I guess pretty much any festival filled with peeps younger than 30 is a minor Coachella

Comment

• Originally posted by DownDaBayou View Post

Plus, it's generic. It could be anywhere. It's like a minor Coachella. And I mean no disrespect to Voodoo Fest. Steve Rehage had a great idea.
                          I will say it has become an event bigger than just what bands are playing. Early on it was not really a Halloween event but over the years it has become an event to come to New Orleans, party and dress up.

Comment

• https://townofjeanlafitte.com/seafoodfest/

Comment

All due respect to FQ fest and Jazz Fest, but October is Voodoo’s month. Should have been prioritised first.
                              Agreed. Jazz Fest is great, but to me, the festival itself is only part of those 7 days of music (plus daze between) because it ends so early. It's New Orleans. Who tf is turning shit down by 7:15pm? Almost no one. It's the night, late night and overnight shows that add the exclamation points. French Quarter Fest was wonderful 30-35 years ago. It's still fun. But everyone's seen all those acts countless times. And it gets outrageously crowded on the weekends to the point where I wonder what exactly is the point of me going? I'm okay for lunch on Thursday or Friday. But same thing with that. Who hasn't eaten everything there they ever wanted to try? How many Yakinku poboys (no mayo, add sesame seeds please) can I eat in a year? When GW Fins was putting out killer shit and when Crazy Johnnie had her crazy steak or crazy pork, those were kind of destination booths. Dickie Brennan's french bread stuffed with bbq shrimp or prime beef debris is good. Vaucresson is going to have good sausage. Tujague's will be there with their boiled brisket. And Trey Yuen will have crawfish in lobster sauce. Mrs. Wheat's? Check. Love all that, but I've eaten it countless enough times that I don't really want to fight crowds to get some. Then again, K-Paul's Butter Beans (which I usually hate) were always pretty damn good. Nevermind. I'm getting hungry at 9:35am. :/

Comment

Just repeating that if any of your view that the city failed to prioritize Voodoo but bowed to jazzfest is based on my posts, those are just idle internet gossip and rumor spreading. The City's statement was suspicious to me, cause i know legal doubletalk when i see it, and it's true that voodoo canceled and FQF will be scaled back. Everything else I have posted on the subject is just "some crap [you] read on the internet"

Comment

Working...
                                X