No announcement yet.

Other Festivals, 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have hard-to-get tix on ice for two fests that might possibly be back on in 2021 - Willie's Luck Reunion, typically mid-March, and the Redwood Ramble, usually the 3rd weekend in July. I'd put Pickathon and Telluride Bluegrass, maybe Old Settlers, on my "west of the Mississippi" bucket list. Sadly, I don't see any of these happening in their historical time slots next year. So... Plan B. Maybe road-trippin' thru the Southwest? I need to visit Bryce/Zion/Arches while I still have the wheels to walk'em, I haven't been to Moab, Telluride, or Durango, maybe detour to El Paso after Santa Fe and with all the money I "saved" by not-festing I could afford a pair of Rocketbuster boots like Cowboy Phil sports every year at Jazzfest. I swore that I'd never break in a new pair of boots again, but for these I might make an exception. Funny where your mind goes after 8 months of stayin' in town/at home.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
      We have hard-to-get tix on ice for two fests that might possibly be back on in 2021 - Willie's Luck Reunion, typically mid-March, and the Redwood Ramble, usually the 3rd weekend in July. I'd put Pickathon and Telluride Bluegrass, maybe Old Settlers, on my "west of the Mississippi" bucket list. Sadly, I don't see any of these happening in their historical time slots next year. So... Plan B. Maybe road-trippin' thru the Southwest? I need to visit Bryce/Zion/Arches while I still have the wheels to walk'em, I haven't been to Moab, Telluride, or Durango, maybe detour to El Paso after Santa Fe and with all the money I "saved" by not-festing I could afford a pair of Rocketbuster boots like Cowboy Phil sports every year at Jazzfest. I swore that I'd never break in a new pair of boots again, but for these I might make an exception. Funny where your mind goes after 8 months of stayin' in town/at home.

Camping or moteling trip? or mixed?

Comment

The 2 1/2 hour drive from Moab to Telluride has to be about the singlemost stunning secnic drive I have ever experienced, from the heart of Utah's sacred Red Rocks desert dreamscape country, sculpted for millenia by the majestic, timeless Colorado River, up to the towering Colorado Rockies in all their regal, monumental splendor, literally breathtaking and proof of something(?)...Higher.

When people talk about "God's Country", well, the indigenous natives of the 4 Corners region have doubtless understood its true meaning since time immemorial, or they call it, "The Land Of The Ancient Ones..."

Safe Travels...
        Last edited by MormonMatthew; 11-17-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Those are some bad ass boots!

Hey, if you or any of your Krewe Members have an extra ticket for Luck Reunion then please let me know.

I can give you the heads up on both Telluride Bluegrass or Old Settlers. Both are great festivals.
          Old Settlers has already rescheduled from April to Oct. 21-24 2021.

Old Settlers might be the same time as JF if they reschedule for Oct. If not we will be at Old Settlers.

Not sure if you have been to Telluride Bluegrass. I try to go every year. I would not go without camping tickets
          located next to the festival. They sell those out within 10 minutes every year. Our Krewe rolled our tickets over to 21.

Telluride Bluegrass is great but Old Settlers is more user friendly. Smaller crowds and camping/passes do
          not sell out. Plus plenty of parking.

Both festivals have a great vibe.

Comment

Ouch..... I just checked their pricing.
            $3,700 might be a bit out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Camping or moteling trip? or mixed?
              I don't mind camping, but setting up & breaking down day after day might get a bit old. I bought a low-top passenger Transit 350 van for music stuff, but it'd be a fine camper with a loft bed I could remove later. With all these travel "savings" I might just bite on the Aluminess rack up top to stow stuff on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

Ouch..... I just checked their pricing.
                $3,700 might be a bit out of my price range.
                I never asked Phil, but selling vintage Nudie suits to Marty Stuart and others is apparently profitable!

Comment

I don't mind camping, but setting up & breaking down day after day might get a bit old. I bought a low-top passenger Transit 350 van for music stuff, but it'd be a fine camper with a loft bed I could remove later. With all these travel "savings" I might just bite on the Aluminess rack up top to stow stuff on the road.
                  There was actually a reason for my question. I am a lover of hiking the Grand Canyon. When I go down I go via the East Rim but there are spots on the Western Rim that I just love. Much better but you have to drive in and camp. No Honda Civic's. Worth the effort but you have to camp. No motels or National Park Service hotels..
                  My first reply was curt. I apologize, wife was calling for dinner. Not necessary to hike at this location, that's voluntary. Driving in does not require a four wheel drive vehicle but you do need a vehicle with clearance. Views are awesome. Only about a dozen campsites so it's quiet. Orthodox portion of Utah so you can either bring multiple wives or search for additions to your family.
                  Last edited by 20/20; 11-17-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post

The 2 1/2 hour drive from Moab to Telluride has to be about the singlemost stunning secnic drive I have ever experienced, from the heart of Utah's sacred Red Rocks desert dreamscape country, sculpted for millenia by the majestic, timeless Colorado River, up to the towering Colorado Rockies in all their regal, monumental splendor, literally breathtaking and proof of something(?)...Higher.

Safe Travels...
                    I could not agree with you more. Traveling from Telluride to Moab a couple of years ago we missed our turn and ended up driving up CO Hwy. 141 up to Grand Junction.
                    One of the best mistakes I've made. Awesome views!

Also near Telluride. The drive between Silverton & Ouray on 550 is a must see drive. That would be awesome on motorcycles.

We were going to rent a jeep in Silverton but all of the mountain roads were still covered with snow in mid June.
                    Maybe the next time during Telluride Blues in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                      Shoot me up with both vaccines. Run Fred Run!!!
                      Good Luck to you Fearless.

Pity that Lord Horror never took up that bet option, you would have plenty of spending money

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Mardi Gras krewes not told of New Orleans' 'no parades' plan; 'A total shock,' says Endymion leader

https://www.nola.com/news/article_51...be89a2f8b.html
                        I was reading this earlier and it makes perfect sense to me.

Unless a vaccine has been widely distributed, it would be madness to have the parades as normal

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

I was reading this earlier and it makes perfect sense to me.

Unless a vaccine has been widely distributed, it would be madness to have the parades as normal
                          Obviously. Not sure how anyone would be shocked. I guess they wanted to be told first before seeing it online.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Obviously. Not sure how anyone would be shocked. I guess they wanted to be told first before seeing it online.
                            But no doubt some will play it up for Political ends.

Sid Torres may chime in?

I spend a lot of time dealing with idiocy from our Bayside Council down here due to advocacy stuff I do for my local Football and Cricket Clubs, and sadly I think that poor communication from Councils is a universal problem.

Comment

BIG EARS 2021

Given the current situation, we’re going to postpone any plans for producing a Big Ears Festival in March 2020. There’s no way. It simply isn’t feasible. If there’s a lesson to be gleaned from the past nine months, it's to take nothing for granted and be flexible and ready to pivot as the situation demands.

Nevertheless, we remain optimistic about the future — and about the possibility of staging Big Ears in 2021.

Here’s what we have in mind:
                              We're planning a scaled-down Big Ears Festival for late Spring, likely the weekend of May 27 - 30. We will, of course, proceed only if we can do so confidently and safely. Moving two months later will enable us to expand the festival’s traditional footprint, incorporating some beautiful outdoor spaces along with some of our traditional venues. There will be fewer performances than in the past few years — allowing us to open up more space in the overall schedule. We will also cap festival attendance at less than half of those we admitted for recent festivals.

We also plan to present another festival weekend in late August or September. Ideally, this would be a second festival for 2021, also scaled-back in comparison to recent years. If the virus prevents us from staging a festival in late May, we will use this period to reschedule that event; otherwise, our goal is to create a second weekend of unique programming.

In March of 2022, we plan to return with a full Big Ears Festival experience.

While we're actively planning for a late May festival, we won't announce details until late January or early February. You’ll be the first to know once we have news. Safety for all is our foremost concern. Beyond that, we are, as always, fully committed to producing a Big Ears Festival that will be an enjoyable and successful experience for all who take part.

In the meantime, we hope that you’ll stay in touch. We’re working on exciting new streaming initiatives and may even have a special surprise or two up our sleeves, depending on how the coming weeks play out.

We're grateful for the tremendous enthusiasm and support for Big Ears that so many of you have shown. You make it possible for us to continue to do what we do — and we eagerly anticipate coming together for another unforgettable Big Ears weekend next year.

Comment

[QUOTE=kh1958;n855917]
                                BIG EARS 2021

[SIZE=13px][COLOR=#191418][FONT=Arial]Given the current situation, we’re going to postpone any plans for producing a Big Ears Festival in March 2020. There’s no way. It simply isn’t feasible. If there’s a lesson to be gleaned from the past nine months, it's to take nothing for granted and be flexible and ready to pivot as the situation demands.

Nevertheless, we remain optimistic about the future — and about the possibility of staging Big Ears in 2021.

Thanks for posting.

It would be nice if the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival would release a similar news release.

Comment

Working...
                                X